On Recalls and Referendums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Making huge swinging changes to normal peoples lives without a mandate? Can you provide any evidence of where in his original campaign he said he intended to end collective bargaining?

Apparently, he did have a mandate, as has been shown in two recall elections. God you're dumb.

I also find it hilarious that someone from Britain could be so up in arms about the passage of something in a Midwestern US state. And on top of that, something that is already true in 20+ other states.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Can you provide any evidence that he promised not to? This is nonsensical. He promised to slash benefits for government employees, and this was the mechanism he chose. If the people don't like it, the people can elect someone else to reverse it next term.

Of course, that's not what happened. What happened was a reaffirmation of his and his allies policies, all thanks to the unoins.

Again, this is not what this thread is for. Please take it to the other thread. We can chat more there.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The referendum was a useful tool for Hitler.

Just saying...
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Direct democracy is generally a bad idea. Left-wing politicians are typically smarter and better-informed than the voters they represent. Right-wing politicians are typically smarter and better-informed than the voters they represent.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

This should be a litmus test. Any self-professed liberal who does not recognize this whole Wisconsin brouhaha as idiotic and inane is a hopelessly lost hyperpartisan, equal to the worst elements of the right.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Just saying...
              Good post, Albert Speer.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It goes along with liberals always claiming they represent the people... the history of both Europe and the US with 'reactionary populism', etc. just shows how different the salt of the earth people are from the liberal elites that claim to represent them.

A liberal posted on her facebook a status asking if anyone understood what 'reactionary populism' is. I explained it to her. That idea was so foreign to her as a liberal
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Apparently, he did have a mandate, as has been shown in two recall elections. God you're dumb.
                  He now has a (post dated) mandate for it, but he certainly did not before. I consider being called 'dumb' by you to be a compliment btw, you silly little boy.

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  Can you provide any evidence that he promised not to?
                  You'd like me to prove a negative? GOP educational standards much? :

This is nonsensical. He promised to slash benefits for government employees, and this was the mechanism he chose. If the people don't like it, the people can elect someone else to reverse it next term.
                  He overstepped his original mandate, and now under a barrage of expensive campaigning he just received a new mandate. The people of Winsconsin now deserve what they get.

Again, this is not what this thread is for. Please take it to the other thread. We can chat more there.
                  How is arguing that a recall is perfectly justifiable in the context of someone overstepping their mandate not suitable in a thread asking if recalls are justifiable?

Comment

If you want to argue that you can have a recall election for any disagreeable thing that come down the pike as a general precept, please do so. As it is, your not addressing that so much as you're having a seizure over an unfortunate result.

Comment

If you want to argue that you can have a recall election for any disagreeable thing that come down the pike as a general precept, please do so. As it is, your not addressing that so much as you're having a seizure over an unfortunate result.
                      The idea that you could get a million people motivated to a recall effort over 'any disagreeable thing' is nonsense, which is why this is such a rare occurance. It's a mechanism for when leaders do something that spits in the face of large swathes of their constituents. In case you forgot just because someone didn't vote for a politician, that politician is still supposed to act in all their constituents best interests. There has to be some recourse for when a politician gets elected and then oversteps their mandate to the detriment of the electorate.

Comment

I also find it hilarious that someone from Britain could be so up in arms about the passage of something in a Midwestern US state. And on top of that, something that is already true in 20+ other states.
                        Kentonio also claims to possess education qualifications. Just because he says it doesn't make it true.

Oh, and I'm opposed to recall of elected officials - that's what elections are for. There should be a sore loser law, where if you get your *** handed to you, you can't run in the recall.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          The idea that you could get a million people motivated to a recall effort over 'any disagreeable thing' is nonsense, which is why this is such a rare occurance. It's a mechanism for when leaders do something that spits in the face of large swathes of their constituents. In case you forgot just because someone didn't vote for a politician, that politician is still supposed to act in all their constituents best interests. There has to be some recourse for when a politician gets elected and then oversteps their mandate to the detriment of the electorate.
                          Yes, and it's called a court decision. They lost that one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Kentonio also claims to possess education qualifications. Just because he says it doesn't make it true.

Oh, and I'm opposed to recall of elected officials - that's what elections are for. There should be a sore loser law, where if you get your *** handed to you, you can't run in the recall.
                            I now support recall elections.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Just saying...
                              What is your message here? I'm just curious.

It goes along with liberals always claiming they represent the people... the history of both Europe and the US with 'reactionary populism', etc. just shows how different the salt of the earth people are from the liberal elites that claim to represent them.

A liberal posted on her facebook a status asking if anyone understood what 'reactionary populism' is. I explained it to her. That idea was so foreign to her as a liberal
                              Is this comment based on actual data about how "salt of the earth" people voted or are you just assuming they supported Walker?

Here's a hint: people making less than $50,000 supported Barrett.

Comment

I think he's saying that referendums are a more polite form of mob rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X