A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
    I understand TV needs to be more direct and less subtle but I thought that could have been accomplished without making Littlefinger almost stupidly confrontational at times. They could have done a scene or two to show his puppetmaster ways

AS for Renly-- I think that everyone knew he and the knight of Flowers were a bit "close"-- This homosexulaity was far far more emphasized in the show as part of Margaree's earlier introduction to explain her continued maidenhood.

On Renly-- it was never really explained well in book or show why so many people flocked to Renly while his elder brother was there -- I know Stannis was considered unlikable but there was no real objection to his claim--- for the majority of the lords to instead support Renly seems a dangerous precedent for all the elder brothers that are the lords themselves.
    Renly had also spent the last decade on the small council while Stannis was holed up in his dinky castle.

Comment

• Actually, according to A Wiki of Ice & Fire, Stannis was (I'm going to spoiler this, because it's sourced from the book)
      Spoiler:
      on the small council as Master of Ships. He led the fleet which put down the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was investigating Robert's bastards with Jon Arryn. He went back to Dragonstone because Robert didn't name him Hand.

As far as Stannis having better claim to the throne, which of the houses, Lannister aside, knows the truth, besides him? If you're going to rebel, and you don't really know the veracity of the allegation against Joffrey, who are you going to follow: Stannis, who has the charisma of a block of wood, or his younger brother, who's more like the former king than Stannis is? And do you really want as your king the guy who had his butt saved by Davos the smuggler, knighted him, but also cut off the ends of the fingers on one of his hands for the crime of smuggling?

Also, Robert named Renly Lord of Storm's End, their family seat. It has better lands than Dragonstone, which Stannis got (he really got a rock ). Renly has more power by way of the allegiances of more lesser houses. Dragonstone was the seat of the Targaryens, and has far fewer allegiances.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        In the show, Tyrion manages to pwn both of them.
        That is likely due to Peter Dinklage being so awesome that they want to showcase it. But, in the book, Littlefinger, Varys, and Tyrion appear to be on an equal cunning plane. In future books (and likely in the show) you'll see that Littlefinger and Varys are thinking way ahead of Tyrion.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
          Actually, according to A Wiki of Ice & Fire, Stannis was (I'm going to spoiler this, because it's sourced from the book)
          Spoiler:
          on the small council as Master of Ships. He led the fleet which put down the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was investigating Robert's bastards with Jon Arryn. He went back to Dragonstone because Robert didn't name him Hand.
          Though I also think its because:

Spoiler:
          He felt Jon Arryn was killed through funny business and when Robert didn't move against the Lannisters, they were all in danger
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Eek, lots of stuff going on this week! Will Jaimie survive? (no idea) Are Tyrian & Cersei going to kill Joffrey? (please!) Did Ricon and Bran die? (I doubt it)

Plus, **** going down in Qarth! And Stannis only a few days away!

And like every other episode, I don't give a **** about Jon Snow's plot line.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Its funny, because in the books Jon's POV chapters were some of the most fun to read. Esp when him and Quoren go up to scout the Wildlings.

Comment

• I think they hit the jackpot in casting Ygritte. That actress really nailed it.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Maybe its just me, but I haven't cared one bit about the night watch or anything happening north of the wall. The whole thing is rather boring imho. I assume next episode we'll get to see a bit of the wildlings camp, maybe that'll be a bit more interesting, but so far...

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I've heard similar from show watchers. I think they are just kind of ****ing up Jon Snow's story. There is a reason he is considered one of the favorite characters for book readers.

Comment

• I mean, I like the guy. He is one of the few good, honest people in the show (though a bit dumb sometimes). I just feel like everything he does is dreadfully boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        Did Ricon and Bran die? (I doubt it)
                        Oh yea, there were two orphan boys at the farm. RIP poor charred tree climbing orphan boys.

Comment

• I think the issue is that Snow's story is so internal, at least at the beginning. It's harder to work around that than even the missing battles and dragons in a way. But Ygritte (who I agree, was cast fantastically) is giving the character somebody to play off of that he hasn't had since Tyrion left the Wall. Jon has either been an underling or a lordling to everybody in the Watch, he hasn't had anybody that challenges him as an equal to interact with.
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                            I think the issue is that Snow's story is so internal, at least at the beginning. It's harder to work around that than even the missing battles and dragons in a way. But Ygritte (who I agree, was cast fantastically) is giving the character somebody to play off of that he hasn't had since Tyrion left the Wall. Jon has either been an underling or a lordling to everybody in the Watch, he hasn't had anybody that challenges him as an equal to interact with.
                            You know NOTHING Jon Snow

I also like this casting-- Ygritte is very true to the book
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• You know nothing Jon Snow.

Ygritte is awesomely cast.
                              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
                                As far as Stannis having better claim to the throne, which of the houses, Lannister aside, knows the truth, besides him? .
                                If its not anyone that Cersei bore, then its Stannis. THat would be the succession.

Technically I think the only people that know for sure are Jamie and cersei with a large cast of people that suspect-- Joffrey himself may be ignorant of his true father.
                                Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
                                If you're going to rebel, and you don't really know the veracity of the allegation against Joffrey, who are you going to follow: Stannis, who has the charisma of a block of wood, or his younger brother, who's more like the former king than Stannis is? .
                                Obviously they chose Renly (before they were forced back to Stannis) but I still find this a bit uncharacteristic. Almost every lord will themselves be the eldest and just adopting the younger if you like them better might strike a little too close to home for most
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X