A child: lost, found, and lost again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A child: lost, found, and lost again.

Scene I: A child, age 2, is snatched off the street; the kidnappers never leave any kind of message. The child's mother starts to search for the child, never giving up.

Scene II: The child, now age 3, is in another country, with different culture and language. The child is adopted by loving parents who believe the adoption to be totally legal and above board.

Scene III: The natural mother locates the child, now age 8, and demands the child's return. The adoptive parents refuse.

I've stripped most of the details, just to get to the heart of the question -- who should keep this child?

No matter the choice, someone will lose.
    The natural parents
    66.67%
    The adoptive parents
    33.33%
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

How about you ask the kid?
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

In the US there is an advocate for the child which considers the child's best interests.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In the US there is an advocate for the child which considers the child's best interests.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ozzy: Then you find for the adoptive parents.

Jon: who said anything about the US? I want to know how you would decide.

Comment

depends on whether the adoption was actually legal. which i doubt. the legal answer would thus be 'natural'. at this stage however it is not in the child's best interests any more to go back. a judge might decide that the child would benefit most from staying in current conditions.

Comment

if it were my child, however, i would kidnap it back.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                Ozzy: Then you find for the adoptive parents.

Jon: who said anything about the US? I want to know how you would decide.
                Most likely, yea, the kid would stay with the only parents they've known. As long as they get to decide, then its probably the best situation.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

How could you ask the kid? Kids can't even speak English at 8. Do you also ask your dog if it'd like to go to a movie with you.

Comment

Yep... many people will Lose.
                    But I have to go with the real mother. She didn't give the kid up, it was kidnapped. No matter how you want to spin the next adoption, the child isn't theirs.
                    The real mother has the right to her child which trumps ANYTHING ELSE.

(Interesting that you say the child was adopted by loving parents, but there is no mention of "loving" when it comes to the original mother)
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Probably an oversight, but I felt "The child's mother starts to search for the child, never giving up." was sufficient.

Comment

I was just wondering if later in the discussion, you were then going to add that the mother was a crack addict, or some other fact that would make here an unfit mother.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

No, no twists like that. I just want to see how people react to the situation, without complications like nationality coming in. It is a real story, and I will put the details in around this time tomorrow, if the press doesn't beat me to it.

Comment

I would do it the King Solomon way and give each of them half.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

found it. had to be tejas of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X