Apolyton Fantasy Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    To be fair, I think you have been "lambasted as an idiot" for far worse than this.

jk

I am curious to hear their response, it is difficult to imagine they could rationalize head to head as a better tie breaker than points for.

/me
    It was already posted.

cause you couldn't beat him why should he miss the Playoffs
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Ooops....who's the now! Apparently I need to learn basic reading.

Interesting rationale. I don't agree, but I can understand his/their point.

/me
      Last edited by Sparrowhawk; December 13, 2011, 03:36.
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
        Ooops....who's the now! Apparently I need to leading basic reading.

Interesting rationale. I don't agree, but I can understand his/their point.

/me

That was my point to Flash and MRT!

Now I need to convince them that I was and they are wrong
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I have always thought points was stupid and it should always be head-to-head. How ever it is in the NFL is how it should be in FF.

Edit: I realize that points are taken into account in the NFL, but it's way down on the tie-breaker list as it should be.
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Fantasy football is not comparable to the NFL in terms of tiebreakers. It's funny that Alby has been on both sides of this issue.

I remember missing the FF playoffs on the points tiebreaker and being outraged. It feels wrong, but at the end of the day, it's just a rule. When you agree to play in a league, you accept the rules and their consequences. My take on it is that total points makes more logical sense, in that it's a good estimate of the season-long strength when comparing two teams. But I can understand going the other way.

IRL, head-to-head is the dominant tiebreaker in pro sports. It's more emotionally satisfying, and makes the choice between two teams very straightforward. But real life is based on full teams, including awesome defenses and conservative gameplans designed to produce low-scoring games (and, obviously, victories). FF is all about putting points on the board. Defensive scoring is combined with offense, and there's very little "game planning" or strategy vs. a given opponent (other than trying nerf the opponent's QB by starting a marginal pass-catcher against him in PPR).

So on balance, I think total points is more fair.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Here's an idea: how about Points Against as a FF tiebreaker?

That would award the playoff spot to the team that has survived more bad luck to get to the same W/L record. Kind of a poor man's strength of schedule adjustment, which makes sense with the random, unbalanced schedules most leagues play. (This last statement does not apply to this year's D/ST League, with 14 teams and a 13-week season for a balanced schedule.)

Just a thought.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                Here's an idea: how about Points Against as a FF tiebreaker?

That would award the playoff spot to the team that has survived more bad luck to get to the same W/L record. Kind of a poor man's strength of schedule adjustment, which makes sense with the random, unbalanced schedules most leagues play. (This last statement does not apply to this year's D/ST League, with 14 teams and a 13-week season for a balanced schedule.)

Just a thought.
                No because points against says nothing about your own team's ability.

Comment

• This is the response I got:

You play the teams in your Division twice for a reason, maybe you should be a league manager of your own league all these categorically stupid people you know can join.

You lost. Deal with it, when Danny takes me down this weekend thats it for me too, no crying.
                  Help me make them understand. I keep telling them it's not about me because I'm talking about NEXT year!

I wrote:

It's very simple. For a TIE-BREAKER, it makes more sense to have it be points for because that rewards overall season performance rather than the outcome of two specific head to head games. This is not REAL football with gameplanning for your opponent. Fantasy football is about scoring points and, for the future, if two teams have identical records, the tie-breaker should be points for, not head to head.
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; December 13, 2011, 14:47.

Comment

• Normally I'd agree, but if the teams have the same record then I'd disagree. If 2 teams are both 10-5 and one has had 1000 points scored against and the other 2000, I would consider the second team to be the team with the most ability, by having to overcome the more points and still end up with the same record.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Normally I'd agree, but if the teams have the same record then I'd disagree. If 2 teams are both 10-5 and one has had 1000 points scored against and the other 2000, I would consider the second team to be the team with the most ability, by having to overcome the more points and still end up with the same record.
                      It seems hard for me to justify the guy with less points scored making it in over the guy with more points scored because of a 'tougher' schedule.

Comment

Normally I'd agree, but if the teams have the same record then I'd disagree. If 2 teams are both 10-5 and one has had 1000 points scored against and the other 2000, I would consider the second team to be the team with the most ability, by having to overcome the more points and still end up with the same record.
                        Wouldn't the odds be likely that the team who had that many more points scored against and the same record, also have scored many more points themselves?
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          It seems hard for me to justify the guy with less points scored making it in over the guy with more points scored because of a 'tougher' schedule.
                          To me, points against is next in line, if for whatever reason, points for were identical, or very similar.
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                            Wouldn't the odds be likely that the team who had that many more points scored against and the same record, also have scored many more points themselves?
                            Depends on the distribution of points. In D/ST league, Flash out-scored me by over 200 points but I gave up 60 more. I was one game behind him, though, but suppose one of my close losses (I lost to Jaguar by 4 points) had been a win, we would have had the same record despite me giving up MORE points and scoring considerably less.

So in this plausible hypothetical, identical records, would you have given me the playoff berth because I had the higher points against, regardless of him out-scoring me?

Comment

Also, what if 900 of those 1000 extra points against were concentrated in 3 games? I don't think that really speaks to an overall tougher schedule, rather, they got boned for 3 weeks, where anyone else would have lost also.

Comment

• I was one game behind him,
                                close but no cigar.

No one ever said it was a perfect indicator, just that it would probably be a good differentiation stat.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X