No announcement yet.

Questions about the USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9. How do traffic violations work? Do you have a points system? We don't and it sucks from a safety point of view, as you can be caught speeding 100 times and still keep your license if you pay your fines on time.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Your license can be taken away from you, unless you're an attractive woman or a servicemember.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
        9. How do traffic violations work? Do you have a points system? We don't and it sucks from a safety point of view, as you can be caught speeding 100 times and still keep your license if you pay your fines on time.
        Pennsylvania has a points system.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Most states do. I would say all but I haven't confirmed it.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• New York does. People drive like maniacs here anyway. Must be the snow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              You live in Philly, though. Which is, last I checked, above mason-dixon.
              MY experiences in PA, DE, NJ, NY, MD, CT, Mass. leave me with the undeniable impression that racism is far worse in the NorthEast than say in the Deep south. My impression is that there is a high degree of racial segregation in the NE (especially in rural areas) where mixing only really occurs in the urban areas, while in the south races are much more likely to come in contact with each other regardless of urban or rural locales. Given that the root of racism is a demonization born of ignorance, having little to no contact with other races is a natural breeding ground for racism.

Caveat, my experiences in the Northeast are from 1970 - 2000 or so, while my expereinces in the south are 2000-2012. So racial attitude progress may be a factor in my impression.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Racism is still an issue in the vanilla villages that surround Chicago. DWB or DWH is still a common reason to get pulled over. They have to be a bit more discreet about it these days due to all the watch dog groups that analyze statistics but I would say that over half the time I drive by someone pulled over, they are either black or hispanic.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                  MY experiences in PA, DE, NJ, NY, MD, CT, Mass. leave me with the undeniable impression that racism is far worse in the NorthEast than say in the Deep south. My impression is that there is a high degree of racial segregation in the NE (especially in rural areas) where mixing only really occurs in the urban areas, while in the south races are much more likely to come in contact with each other regardless of urban or rural locales. Given that the root of racism is a demonization born of ignorance, having little to no contact with other races is a natural breeding ground for racism.

Caveat, my experiences in the Northeast are from 1970 - 2000 or so, while my expereinces in the south are 2000-2012. So racial attitude progress may be a factor in my impression.
                  I think that caveat is the case . Because being from NJ, I wouldn't even come close to saying that racism is worse up North East. Does it exist? Sure. Is it worse in Georgia? Oh Heck Yes!!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    How old is the kid?

A lot of parents wouldn't want to leave the kid alone not because it would be illegal but because of concern for the kid without adult supervision.

There's also the matter of how would anyone know?

Unless there's a terrible tragedy nobody likely would know. Although that's kind of the point in not leaving them alone in the first place. "Oops", wouldn't suffice.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      Unless there's a terrible tragedy nobody likely would know. Although that's kind of the point in not leaving them alone in the first place. "Oops", wouldn't suffice.
                      Which demonstrates the answer. There may be no laws against it, but parents are completely paranoid.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        I think that caveat is the case . Because being from NJ, I wouldn't even come close to saying that racism is worse up North East. Does it exist? Sure. Is it worse in Georgia? Oh Heck Yes!!
                        Don't know about NJ but I'm under the distinct impression that it's worse in New York.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                          Racism is still an issue in the vanilla villages that surround Chicago. DWB or DWH is still a common reason to get pulled over. They have to be a bit more discreet about it these days due to all the watch dog groups that analyze statistics but I would say that over half the time I drive by someone pulled over, they are either black or hispanic.
                          When I taught at Dartmouth students would routinely demand that I return home and take the black people with me.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            9. How do traffic violations work? Do you have a points system? We don't and it sucks from a safety point of view, as you can be caught speeding 100 times and still keep your license if you pay your fines on time.
                            Varies. Virginia does points though. I think most states do, these days. Some state's points might not count in others, though, so if you have say a Kentucky driver's license and get caught speeding in Maine, it might not affect you. Not sure.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Not that dramatically.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                Racism is still an issue in the vanilla villages that surround Chicago. DWB or DWH is still a common reason to get pulled over. They have to be a bit more discreet about it these days due to all the watch dog groups that analyze statistics but I would say that over half the time I drive by someone pulled over, they are either black or hispanic.
                                A few years back we the SDPD got sued with the defendent making claims about racial profiling with "driving while black" claims being made. Since the state requires all police and sheriff's departments to compile data about who race, sex, and other info of every stop it was pretty easy to defend but the surprising thing which turned up was east Asian officers (for which there are a good number in this area) were statistically been more likely to pull over blacks or hispanics at higher rates than white officers on the same beat. It was so high there was actually a question if Asian-American officers might have been profiling black or hispanics driving in white or Asian neighborhoods while the white officers were already walking on pins and needles in order to avoid such accusations.

It would seem Asian-Americans have well and truly assimilated to the American way of life.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X