No announcement yet.

NCAA Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebraska never makes it to the real season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
      Nebraska never makes it to the real season.
      Nebraska has made it to the "regular season." Northwestern never has

Comment

UCONN came big against Vilanova..winning on a L-O-N-G trey by Shabazz Napier..man challenged his team publicly..on Saturday then delivered himself when needed
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I wish Illinois had a leader like that.

Comment

Yep we saw how the team reacted to his outburst. SURRENDER.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Illinois State upsets #14 Wichita State setting up an extra tournament entry for MVC, first in a while.

Comment

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                  Illinois State upsets #14 Wichita State setting up an extra tournament entry for MVC, first in a while.
                  They are leading Creighton in championship game and with a win will probably knock out a bubble team (like Northwestern).

Comment

Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                    They are leading Creighton in championship game and with a win will probably knock out a bubble team (like Northwestern).
                    Bubble teams everywhere rejoice as Creighton wins in OT

Comment

Too bad the Illini aren't even close to being a bubble team any more. While the preseason expectations were minimal, the early part of the season got hopes just high enough for them to be horribly dashed.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If a coaching regime change comes out of this year that halts the last 5 years of trending downward, then there is at least one positive from this season. I'm looking forward to a coach who doesn't have moody players who never live up to the hype like Brian Randle, Shaun Pruitt, Jereme Richmond, and Demetri McCamey.

Time for some new energy in the locker room

Comment

Do you mean like the new football coach. From this morning's Trib

CHAMPAIGN The seriousness of new Illinois coach Tim Beckman's disciplinary methods were quickly introduced when porridge was set in front of many players.

Those who followed the rules, arriving at classes 10 minutes early and never missing a rep during winter workouts, were treated to steak and eggs at the "All-In Banquet." Those who missed a beat were treated to an Oliver Twist breakfast.

"I think it was a little bit of an eye-opening experience for some of them," Beckman said. "We ask our players to be above and beyond … and compete at a level that we think is a championship level."

Twenty-one players earned the steak and eggs. Beckman, who clearly wants to set a tone of accountability in his first season, ate at the porridge table after missing a workout to speak at an alumni event.

One setback was the arrest of defensive lineman Justin Staples, 22, who was charged with a DUI in Champaign on Feb. 9. Beckman suspended him two weeks during winter workouts. Although the senior will begin practice with the team on Wednesday, Beckman said Staples will serve another suspension once the season begins.

As far as Beckman is concerned, previous seasons don't count for much and he wants to set the bar high. The Illini finished 7-6 last season but lost six-straight games and saw coach Ron Zook fired before the team rebounded with a victory in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.

"We want to win 14 football games next year," Beckman said. "There's no doubt about it."

Every position is open through spring drills and possibly through preseason camp. Despite starting the last two seasons, quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase's job also is at stake.

"He'll take our first snap because he has been our starter but we're going to play whoever's the most consistent," Beckman said. "That's for every position."

During spring practices, which will include the April 14 Orange-Blue scrimmage, Beckman mentioned looking for players to emerge in positions that lack depth such as running back, wide receiver and offensive line.

Competition is the key, Beckman said.

"It's a battle every time you're out there," he said.

Extra points: Running back Donovonn Young, a sophomore, suffered pain from a previous foot stress fracture and took time off but is expected to be ready for spring practices. … Offensive lineman Corey Lewis is being evaluated again by doctors for the same knee injury that has caused him to miss the last two seasons. Beckman expects a decision on Lewis' future by the end of the week. … Beckman said the team will have preseason workouts at Camp Rantoul again. He also will bring back two trophies at the spring game that haven't been used since 1993 (for the game MVP) and another that hasn't been handed out since 2001 (for the team that wins).

sryan@tribune.com
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Porridge? Well, at least it isn't as wacky as holding a funeral.

Comment

I have been impressed with my Vols in the last month and a half. Looks like they have moved onto the bubble and a couple of wins in SEC tourney could put them in.

Not bad for a team picked to finish 11th in the SEC and ended up finishing 2nd.

Counzo Martin looks to be the real deal as a coach.

Whilie Calipari had a great year and is deserving of the Coach of The Year award for the SEC, I still believe that Coach Martin should have got it. Truly an outstanding year as a coach.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                                Too bad the Illini aren't even close to being a bubble team any more. While the preseason expectations were minimal, the early part of the season got hopes just high enough for them to be horribly dashed.
                                Hard to believe that in mid-January, they were 15-3 with wins over Ohio State and Gonzaga, and ranked in the top 25.

Considering there were no major injuries, that is an epic fail of the highest magnitude.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X