DirectDraw=0 failing me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectDraw=0 failing me!

I just got a new Asus laptop K53SD. After a LOT of fiddling, I managed to get SMACX installed and (mostly) functional. Buuut, adding DirectDraw=0 into the Alpha.ini (it's in the correct place, before [Preferences]) causes it to consistently, 100% of the time crash to desktop.

This is the situation:
    *Running Windows 7 64 bit, OS is a clean install on Asus Laptop.
    *Maximum (also "optimal") resolution is 1366x768, Intel HD/NVidia Geforce 610M for graphics.
    *Fully patched and XP compatibility patch installed.
    *SMAX is installed directly into E: drive, not in the program files or (x86) program files directories.

Just to reiterate, SMACX functions if I DON'T use DirectDraw=0, but then of course I have a really screwed up aspect ratio because of the screen on my laptop. Kind of kills the enjoyment of the game, and I don't have another computer around here that I can use. Any similar experiences of this? Any workarounds?
    My inner child wants a cookie.

Have you tried to change that 1366 to something more"ordinary" ? I don't doubt it makes sense in other circumstances, but I can't recall that I have seen it before. SMAC/X DirectDraw=0 works fine for me on a Win7 with 1920x1200.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
      Have you tried to change that 1366 to something more"ordinary" ? I don't doubt it makes sense in other circumstances, but I can't recall that I have seen it before. SMAC/X DirectDraw=0 works fine for me on a Win7 with 1920x1200.
      Well hey that does appear to work for DirectDraw=0. Sadly it also distorts my screen pretty badly. This damn laptop, screen simply stretches to fit, with no option to turn that off. So it fixes the DirectDraw problem but leaves me with the squashed down and stretched wide problem, which is the same problem I originally had with not using DirectDraw=0.

I need to vent, so ignore here down if you like:

Man I do feel like an ingrate, this laptop was a gift from family and the old computer is Dead, but I keep finding new reasons to hate it and I've only had it four days. For all that most things are made in China these days, you sure as hell don't want to buy a laptop computer here! Probably going to anger my wife something fierce when I get back stateside and get the model I wanted in the first place. But dammit all anyway, that model is not only cheaper, but has better specs, and I don't have to spend extra to get a legit copy of Windows 7 64 bit, a display with a NORMAL aspect ratio, 6G of RAM, and a hard drive with twice as much storage. Nothing quite so aggravating as getting exactly what you didn't ask for, then having to pretend you love it because it was from family.

UPDATE: Well DirectDraw is right out. The aspect ratio of this friggin display is such that running any kind of more normal resolution equally makes the game stretch. But Chuft and PeteK between them helped me out. So, I can't play at native resolution, and can't use DirectDraw, but I can manage with video mode=1024 and forced aspect ratio to at least play with a couple black bars on the side of the display. Not perfect, but at least playable. Just so long as I never, ever again do anything with my display settings.
      Last edited by Wodong; February 20, 2012, 04:53. Reason: Update
      My inner child wants a cookie.

Comment

i recently reinstalled SMAX, and the game starts to boot up (after telling me my cpu isn't supported), but never goes anywhere. going to try DirectDraw=0 when i get home.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

yeah. no dice.

Comment

Try this instead :

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

zomfug!

thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X