A new scenario... for Imperialism I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new scenario... for Imperialism I

I have holidays now!! Getting bored again, like in the good old days, and finding some time to play a bit at the computer.

So.. With my newly acquired knowledge about Hex-Editing I created the very first custom-made scenario for Imperialism I. (might also make a scen for Imp2 later on, if I find the time). I thought maybe especially St Leo would like this.

I know.. I know, it's not civ2, but I thought you guys might like imperialism too. Instead of the Ottoman Empire, I added the Netherlands. The scenario (no big deal, just a slightly modified standard one) can be played by Holland!!! Very nice! Only the flags are not good, the Dutch don't use a half moon. I could change that too, but that'd make a 3 MB download instead of a 35 KB one.

And, if anybody wants to know how to do this too, just ask me.

Here's the link. I had to rename it to a gif file, but it is not. Just download it, and rename it to zip.

When downloaded, unzip to your Imperialism 1\Scenario subdirectory, run the game and select the new scenario
    [This message has been edited by Allard HS (edited June 27, 2000).]

You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, andprobably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.

Have you discovered a way to have fortresses at the start of the scenario, or for it to start with powers at war.
    [This message has been edited by Eternal (edited June 27, 2000).]

Comment

Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe.

But that's great guys! Keep them coming. Imperialism is a great game - anything you can do to improve the game - so much the better

Please be sure to let us know when your creations are finished, and where we may download them.

------------------
      Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
      That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

Allard:

I tried your link, but all I get is a bunch of messed up encryption letters. It does not take me to your link.

------------------

Comment

quote:

You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, andprobably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.
          Have you discovered a way to have fortresses at the start of the scenario, or for it to start with powers at war.

Damn!!! I thought it was the first. I never saw another one. If so, where can I download them?? Can you send it to me?
          I haven't been looking into fortresses, but there is a way to start in a war situation, I think. Well, at least you can make their relationship very bad.

quote:

Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe

where where where?

quote:

I tried your link, but all I get is a bunch of messed up encryption letters. It does not take me to your link

Geocities was a bit annoying with the .zip file. Just right click on the link, select "save target as...", and call the file holland.zip instead of holland.gif, or rename it in explorer.

It's nothing really special or something, just the standard map, but the whole idea was to add Holland as a country.
          It's also possible to make an entire map, but that's gonna cost me far too much time. Might import the standard Imp2 map, however.

Comment

Here is an interesting page for Imperialism:
            www.geosoft.org/igs/1/guide.html

Eternal: could you let us know where we can download your scenario? I would like to receive it!

Allard HS: I'll email you 4 Imperialism scenarios

------------------

Comment

My Imperialism Patch (German version) dowesn't work anymore. Can anyone of you give me a link where I can get a patch for Imperialism? German version!

Comment

I don't have Imperialism on my computer for some reason, and that means my scenario is gone too, but my brother has it. All I have to do is get it, make up the .inf, and zip it up.

Allard, as for setting relationships to promote war... It doesn't work, especially when you've built up all the nation's military power to Awesome x 2. It is therefore dependent on the player to start the war, but no one will keep their alliance!
                Is it possible to combine the Central Powers into one, and to combine the Triple Entente? That may be the only way to do this. But either way, it's still kind of fun to play this scenario. Iw would make it more fun if the computer had the balls to attack any place with more than consrcipts to defend.

Comment

And, if anybody wants to know how to do this too, just ask me.

Please provide detailed instructions, as I can use this to revitalize the Imperialism community.

You're wrong. My brother and I created one months ago, and probably somewhere someone else has. Ours is set in the era of World War One. The great powers are all the same, but with big, beefy arsenals and stuff.

Please e-mail it to me.

Actually, I downloaded several custom Imperialism I scenarios that were made a while ago - one involving America I believe.

From where? If you use a resumer, it probably has a log or something.

My Imperialism Patch (German version) dowesn't work anymore. Can anyone of you give me a link where I can get a patch for Imperialism? German version!

English Version's Patch

------------------
                  St. Leo
                  http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                  http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Here's a site that contains some scenarios and strategies:

http://compsimgames.miningco.com/gam...perialism.html

And here's a site that contains cheat codes for the game: http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/imperial.html

------------------

Comment

Leonidas, thanks for the files you sent me. They were funny, but they were not "scenarios", merely saved games. Of course you can consider a saved game a scenario, but a scenario has some major advantages.
                      First of all, I always hate random maps, so I always play on a European map, but there are only a limited number of nations you can play as. Instead of Turkey, I used Holland in this scenario. For the rest the scenario is nearly the same as the standard 1820 scenario, but there are a few little differences, like the council has been switched off, Dutch hills have been made a little more full of coal and iron to make it easier, the year is 1815 instead of 1820.
                      All of these things a saved game cannot do, also in a saved game you can't choose your country, except if you hex-edit the game.
                      A few more advantages of scenarios are that you can save a much larger amount of them than the amount of slots for saved games can use, you can use a separate file linked to which contains flags, units, only for that specific scenario, and you get a nicer intro screen when you start the scenario.

Scenarios consist of s*.map, s*.scn and s*.inf. Saved games are called slot*.imp.

quote:

Please provide detailed instructions, as I can use this to revitalize the Imperialism community

Yes, Leo, I'll send you my notes as soon as I made them a bit understandable (like translating to English, etc.)

Oh yes, by the way, I found today a "way" to activate the cheat menu in Imp1 and 2, but it doesn't really work well yet, so have a little patience, and maybe shortly everyone can make easier scenarios.

I'm still trying to take the terrain pics of imp2 and import them in imp1. The importing part in imp1 works, but not the exporting part in imp2.

As you can see, I've been playing around a bit today... This "scenario"-thing of me won't be updated I think, it's just a little try-out after all, until maybe once I know how to add graphics with it.

Leonidas, nice signature by the way: "Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
                      That here, obedient to their laws, we lie". I used to know the sentence in Greek by heart, but I forgot it

Comment

I'm still trying to take the terrain pics of imp2 and import them in imp1. The importing part in imp1 works, but not the exporting part in imp2.

How does the palette come out?

BTW, do you know how to un-gob the gob files? I am pretty sure they have a lot of goodies inside themselves.

P.S. Playing as Netherlands is fun - so far I have gobbled up most of France with my starting forces and an hoping that everyone does not declare war on me before I get a larger military.

------------------
                        St. Leo
                        http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                        http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

How does the palette come out

haven't really given any attention yet. I haven't canged any real graphics yet (except the title Imperialism pic) but it appears that the game is much more easy about palettes and file sizes than civ2.

quote:

BTW, do you know how to un-gob the gob files? I am pretty sure they have a lot of goodies inside themselves

I found a good program to open GOB files (as well as any other file basically in windows, including the imperialism.exe file (very nice, look at the menu). You can download it here:
                          http://www.bome.com/Restorator/index.html
                          Unfornately, however, it works perfectly well with imp1, but doesn't recognize the RSRC files used in imp2, that is my problem.

quote:

Playing as Netherlands is fun - so far I have gobbled up most of France with my starting forces and an hoping that everyone does not declare war on me before I get a larger military

I haven't really done too much things. After all, it was just a test, but I tried to make things as hard as possible
                          I haven't even played the scen myself yet

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get a crack to play the game without the CD?
                            "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                            -OOTS

Comment

My brother created a executable file that can change the .scn file to text, using base ten values, and then change it back to scn. Again, I don't have this, but I'll post when I get them from my brother. I suppose I could ask him to email all the stuff, but it might take some time.

Comment

Working...
                              X