AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 3 – Able to build forbidden palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 3 – Able to build forbidden palace

Use this space to comment on your game in the interval between the end of DAR 2 and the time at which you can finally begin construction of the Forbidden Palace (this will be different between the standard rules and the AU mod rules).

Not much going on to start off this second block of turns for the Americans. Towards the end of last block, down by the Mongols, I noticed some Gray borders off on the peninsula west of the Mongols. One of the American scouts is there now and can see Madras, but there's no units there to initiate conquest with. Over to the west, an American scout discovers a german settler/warrior stack. Initiating contact (it's 1990BC), Masonry it traded to the Germans for 60 gold. They have no techs we need at this point. Gandhi was nice enough to initiate contact for me.. Again, no techs I need, so trading Masonry to India for 10 gold.
    1725BC - Just discovered Polytheism. Bit of a conundrum now. I can go for Monarchy (get it in 35 turns), but for a peacekeeper game (especially starting in the middle ages), not sure if I want to do that or jump straight to the Republic. I can get currency in 23 turns which I know is a good trading chip with the AI. Well..screw it. Going for Monarchy
    Atlanta produces a temple in 1725. A few turns to expand and then I'll have the furs as a luxury. Also planning to get a city out further to the east of Atlanta to cut off the Mongols on their way north.
    In 1650BC, the first barracks appears in the American empire in Philadelphia. Time to start getting some vets (likely spears) out into the towns. That will eventually free up the warriors currently there to upgrade to Swords later.
    San Francisco founded to the south, near Seattle. With it's founding, the Mongols are essentially blocked off to the south (I think...). Miami founded in 1550BC to the east of Atlanta. Mongols are now blocked from advancing north along this route. However, they and the Babs are still encroaching on one another. 1550BC still; trading Masonry to Japan for a worker.
    1375BC and the Iroquois have demanded contact with the Indians. I really don't want to give it up yet, so I refuse. Looks like I'm at war No attacks have been made yet in the Iroquois-American war. According to the rules, anything in the Ancient era is fair game? Hope so... Right now, I have a pair of regular warriors outside an Iroquois city defended only by a conscript warrior. Here's hoping... First warrior takes down the conscript and razes Tonawanda. Hiawatha won't talk to me yet
    Attached Files
    Walk softly and carry a big stick...or better yet, a remote controlled nuclear device.

Comment

Houston founded near the iron to the west of San Fransicso in 1250BC. Probably won't be able to make it, but I'm trying to cut off the Indians as much as possible (and grab the Incense over that way. Buffalo founded near the iron west of Chicago.

So...1250BC. currently have 11 cities, Monarchy in 6 turns. 2 luxuries connected at the moment and no unconnected cities (thanks to those industrious workers!). I'm at 9 workers, 8 spearmen and 11 warriors. I have 478 gold in the treasury right now (running a deficit to monarchy), so I can upgrade those warriors to swordsmen as soon as I hook up some iron. I'm currently the most advanced, but probably by a little less than I was before. I could have researched both Code of Laws and Philosophy instead of Monarchy, but I want out of Despotism so I went for Monarchy instead. Within the next few turns I should be hooking up some horses, iron and incense.

A couple of Babylonian warriors wandered into the area around Philadelphia. Without provocation, in 1225BC, they declared war on me. One killed himself on the spearman in Philly while the other tripped and fell on his own axe (killed trying to attack one of my warriors outside the city). In 1200BC, contact with the Iroquois was finally re-established and they agreed to a peace treaty. 66 gold managed to "mysteriously" find it's way into the American coffers during the negotiations. In the year 1125BC, the American people discovered the secrets of Monarchy, ushering in a new era of prosperity. Started a revolution and it's a measly 2 turns until Monarchy is ushered in
      Attached Files
      Walk softly and carry a big stick...or better yet, a remote controlled nuclear device.

Comment

Not much happened during the Anarchy period, but in 1075BC, a Monarchical form of government was established in America. That same turn, Mysticism was sold to the Indians for 50 gold, Pottery to the Germans for 25 gold, and Mysticism to the Spanish for 50 gold.

In 1025, St. Louis was founded north of Houston on top of the incense. With it's founding, both horse and incense are linked up to the American empire. In the same year, Detroit is founded north of Miami, near the lake. Detroit is the 13th (unlucky!) town of the American civilization. Later that year, the Germans contact the Americans and demand contact with the Indians. They're not really around me at the moment, so I see no reason to give in to their demands. Looks like another war
        Fortuneately, the Babylonians were willing to open diplomatic channels in 975BC and agreed to a peace treaty. They were also willing to donate 17 gold to the American cause. During negotiations, it was revealed that they knew the secret of construction. Attempts to obtain these secrets during negotiation were unsuccessful...they were demanding way too high a price.

In 950BC, New Orleans is founded on the previous site of Tonawanda, near the Iroquois capital. In it's radius is another source of Incense.

Not much going on until 775BC, when the Germans agree to a peace treaty. I pretty much have the Indians bottled up on the peninsula. 3 warriors are plugging it up, just waiting for a settler to come and plop a city down. Baltimore founded in 775BC, east of Detriot. That same year, the Iron deposits near Buffalo are linked to the rest of the empire. Swordsmen can now be built. 13 warriors are upgraded to swordsmen that year, taking a hefty cut out of my treasury at 40 gold each. Still have 180 in there though.
        The next year, Denver is founded west of New Orleans, on the hills.

Yikes...this is where it gets interesting. The year is 750BC and I have 13 swordsmen that I'm pretty sure will be able to do some damage to someone However, I'm also really close to the middle ages. I can trade Monarchy to the Mongols for Construction, Map Making, 39 gold and their world map. Then I can get Philosophy from the Iroquois, meaning that only CoL is left til the middle ages. I'm going to go for it and then turn research to 10% for CoL. Also going to use those swords on the Mongols because
        A) They super aggressive, and
        B) They have iron hooked up (no horses) and the Iroquois have neither Iron nor horses hooked up.
        After trading the above with the Mongols, I traded Construction to the Iroquois for Philosophy, their world map and 31 gold. Next, Philosophy and Polytheism went to the Ottomans for 75 gold and their World Map. Then Philosoply to the Germans for their World Map. Polytheism to the Babs for 35 gold and their world map. Polytheism to Japan for their world map and 1 gold. Finally, Polytheism to Rome for 49 gold and their world map.

OK...412 gold in the treasury and 5 turns to Currency. Then it's CoL and then the peacekeeping starts In the interests of keeping an eye on everyone, I have the cash to put embassies everywhere (just checked...389ish gold for an embassy everywhere and the treasury is at 412). Hmm..guess I lied. It cost 411 gold for all the embassies. But they're established now. Gave a quick look everywhere and there are currently no wars going on between anyone. Good for peacekeeping, bad for the tech race..
        In 710BC, the sealing of the Indians was confirmed by the founding of Cincinnati at the opening of the peninsula.
        Dallas founded in the desert between New Orleans and Detroit in 670BC. Later that year, the American scientists discovered the secrets of Currency. Hoping to delay entry to the new age, only a minimum science level will be maintained for now.

Just saw the Forbidden Palace message...looks like this turn block is over. The year 650BC is just beginning...

Summary:

18 cities
        17 gold in the treasury
        3 settlers
        15 workers
        12 warriors
        11 spearmen
        13 swordsmen
        2 horsemen
        3 luxuries (dye, incense, furs)
        1 Iron
        1 Horse
        Everyone except the Babs are impressed with the American culture
        All ancient techs except CoL, Lit and Republic.
        I know the Babs have Lit, but I just haven't traded for it yet. I have currency. Scratch that...they have CoL and Lit. I have Monarchy and Currency which they don't. So I guess I could get into the next age next turn. Personally, I'll probably do it because I don't think it's really in the spirit to intentionally deny myself techs like that. I'll get the Mongols to attack me another way
        Attached Files

Comment

America continued its policy of peaceful expansion, running neck and neck with its rivals in the research race. In 1075 AD, the founding of Buffalo, America’s eleventh city, finally made America the largest nation in the world in land area (at least for the moment). Later that year, Germany (America’s closest rival) demanded contact with the Ottomans and declared war when America refused. Germany was far enough away that the refusal seemed acceptably safe.

America continued to grow and prosper, but paid little enough attention to its military that when the Iroquois demanded contact with the Ottomans in 875 BC, America's leaders felt little choice but to give in. In 850 BC, peace was established with the Germans on even terms and America sold contact with the Ottomans to anyone willing to pay a decent price. American technology was starting to lag behind, but was expected to close the gap once Republic was discovered.

As time went on, America’s technological hopes began to grow far shakier. The rest of the world entered the medieval era, and America was still without Currency, Construction, Map Making, and Literature. Just as America was about to discover Republic, word came that construction of a Forbidden Palace would be possible. The next turn, in 610 AD, America pulled off its great coup to get back in the technological hunt with the following trades (not counting a few minor map deals):

Map Making and Currency bought from the Iroquois for gold.
          Construction bought from Japan for gold.
          Republic sold to the Ottomans for Engineering, 58 gold, 42 gpt, and a territory map.
          Republic traded to Babylon for Feudalism and a territory map.
          Republic and a world map sold to the Iroquois for 479 gold and a territory map (recovering the gold used to buy Map Making and Currency).
          Republic sold to Japan for 319 gold and a world map (recovering the gold for Construction).
          Republic and a world map traded to the Mongols for Monarchy, Literature, a world map, and 5 gold.

With that sequence of trades, America went from being the world’s most scientifically backward society to one of its leaders, gaining a nice per-turn income in the process. It is also first in population, GNP, Mfg. Goods, land area, and productivity, although two other nations are ahead in literacy. Two dozen workers are hard at work improving the American landscape. The one dark cloud is that America has no culture at all other than what came from its palace.

The land situation is hotly contested at the moment, so I'm going to delay a little before changing governments. Three settlers are scheduled to finish in three turns and another two two turns after that, and I need all the settlers I can get.
          Attached Files

Comment

Meet the Ottomans. Very backward as well.

More trading, more gold. By 1700 BC I have over 1000g, and am at tech parity.

Jesu christo, I nab a town in the far far southeast... heck, I don;t want it, and gift it to the Germans (as far away as possible ). Bizzy-markie is now polite. But insists that my Scout leave his territory.

I didn't keep a detailed log from there (i.e., late night playing).

As I'm using the AU Mod, I didn't get to the FP until 390 BC, with 17 towns.

It's sort of a weird game, as I have been in full-on REX mode, have built a core at 3-RCP (which I've never done), and have been at 40 turn research well into the Medieval Age. I also chose not to connect iron thus far... so no warmongering. I'm totally light militarily: with 17 towns, I only have 18 Warriors, 6 Spears, 3 Horsemen, and now 1 Scout (barbs and some disbands).

The Mongols have been the bad boys... almost look like one of us in terms of serial warfare and pruning. They've been traipsing through my territory throughout, which pisses me off and will earn them a serious whack on the head down the road.

I've got lots of gold, and have used it to maintain tech parity... in my pre-Security Council version of UN responsibilities, I have gifted all techs to backward AI civs.
            Attached Files
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I had *nothing* to do with this... seriously, the Mongols are just whacked in this game, and oscillation has come home to roost!

This calls for... the UN!!
              Attached Files
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Germany just got Japan into the Mongol dogpile... that's 5 out of 8 other AI civs.

Comment

Dateline 150BC: Germany enlists the Ottomans against the Mongol scourge.

Only Babs and India left out of the fray!!

Comment

70 BC: India joins in... I have never seen anything like this.

Uh oh for Mongolia... here come the Mounted Warriors.

Comment

Pretty soon you might have to protect the Mongols. Sounds like you're having an interesting game so far.

Comment

Nah, they're fine, they just got to Keshiks.

So far I've been a pacifist builder. I haven't seen the need to engage anyone in war yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                          ( I'm totally light militarily: with 17 towns, I only have 18 Warriors, 6 Spears, 3 Horsemen, and now 1 Scout (barbs and some disbands).
                          That's more than double the military I had at that point - something like ten warriors and two spears. (Yes, I've been living dangerousy. )

Comment

You're not big on MPs, are you?

I MP through despotism, and then transfer forces to potential hot spots. I also protect keytiles, such as resources. THat's sorta my minimum, and about where I am now.

Comment

One of the main reasons I don't build more military forces in the early game unless I'm planning a war is that I build so many granaries. Granaries take up a lot of shields, and then once they're done, there is a lot less room to fit troops in between workers/settlers than there would be without them. So while I'd always like to have more MPs than I do, the question of where, when, and how to build them tends to get in the way.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X