No announcement yet.

AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 1 – 4000bc-2150bc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me stick this comment in and then read about what you guys are up to.

On first reflection, it seemed obvious that the right thing to do was "war as usual" but leave a vassal city every time a civ is defeated. That didn't seem entirely in the spirit of the course, however, so I tried the opposite. America played as Mr Nice Guy, trading up a storm and paying bribes as requested. I was trying to see if a pure builder/diplomat track could get the desired job done. (Anyway, the Mongols to the South suggest it won't be too long before a defensive war can be fought.)

America had the best Rex I can recall. Maybe the setup gave more space than Emeror games ever do. Anyway, we moved our first settler to the river and got started on a granary-fed expansion. Early tech trading went well, but as usual we fell behind later in the Rex. The initial cities were set at distance 4 to minimize corruption. After the first ring, we basically didn't pay attention to distance.

We entered the middle ages with a pretty large civ and no wars. America has concentrated on markets and workers, intending to build an economy that can afford to buy tech. (We don't even have literature.)

Amazingly, as far as I can tell right now, the AI is at peace everywhere.

God damn, buying the world map at this point is expensive!

This could be fun and should be quick to play.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

(Edit: Monarch, AU Mod)

The Plan : Build a civ, then go and stop the big bad civs eliminating the small bad civs. OK, a somewhat high-level plan, but it's a start. The details can be worked out on the way.

Settled in crook of river, and sent worker to chop the forest while building a granary. Researching Cem Bur full throttle. Scout ignored first hut, dithered on the southern hills and mountains then went west, popping a hut and getting a settler in 3700. There are insane amounts of food around here. The settler later founds NY on the flood plain at Washington-1111 and Qs scout-warrior-scout-worker-archer-worker-warrior-worker. (Not actually queued - those were the eventual builds)

Meet India in 3550BC and trade for Masonry & Pottery for Alphabet, Cem Bur & 10g. Start Bronze working, trying out this thing about researching the cheapest techs, and popping better ones. Meet Spain in 3300BC and trade Masonry for Warrior Code + 30g

The granary completed in 3100, warrior-scout-settler-warrior-warrior-settler-archer-settler queued. Got Mathematics from a hut. Meet Mongols in south and get Myticism and 15 gold for Alphabet. They also have Bronze Working which drops in price for me - now 3 turns. They're a bit close - there could be a contradiction between keeping them in the game and keeping them off my back. It's tempting to do what worked against the Japanese in the AUSG and build in their faces.

Traded Maths + 20g for Wheel with Mongols. Start Writing. I have 4 scouts running around and 2 MP-warriors in 2800

Scout pops Advanced Tribe (Olmecs) near furs and cow (adj) Se of capitol in 2670BC. I haven't had one of those since Civ 1, and must be using up all my luck! Boston Q's warrior-archer-warrior-archer. Settler/Warrior leave for Wash-3333.

Meet Babs in 2630BC. Dyes roaded. Philadelphia (worker-worker) founded in 2510, and Wash-NY road complete next turn.

Meet Iroqs in 2350BC.

Wash's second settler/warrior head for NE coast '7' from the game tile at Wash-9998. Atlanta founded 2230BC - Archer.
      Last edited by Cort Haus; October 12, 2003, 12:13.

Comment

pic:
        Attached Files

Comment

Sir Ralph,

You suggest that there are too many DAR threads - and you have a point. They clutter the forum, but splitting them by block is better than the single-spoiler threads for participants.

I imagine an AU forum has been considered and is perhaps not possible or desirable, but it seems a good idea to me.

Dominae,

Impressive stuff - that's a lot of tile improvements - about 100 worker-turns, it looks. I haven't thought much about trading for workers since they priced 'em up properly. I expect there are more of them about in Deity.

Theseus,

A great feeling isn't it, settler and Advanced Tribe.

(typos edited)

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            I imagine an AU forum has been considered and is perhaps not possible or desirable, but it seems a good idea to me.
            It is a good idea, and has been requested recently. The owners would like to view Apolyton University for a while longer before giving us a new forum and civgroup.

Comment

OK my first time in AU so I accidently slipped the turn to 2110.

This is a monarch and a regular game.

I moved my first settler over to the river so I wouldn't have to worry about an aqueduct. Worker went to mine and scout went off to find a mountain.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by conmcb25; October 13, 2003, 00:01.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

By 3700 I got Warrior Code and Bronze Working from Goodie huts. Im going to build a lot of scouts on this map.

3650 Contacted a mongol scout, traded straight up Bronze working for his Ceremonial Burial

3200 Got a warrior from a goodie hut

2950 Met Spain up north traded Pottery for my alphabet

2850 Met Iroquois Traded Mysticism for my alphabet and masonry

2710 Mysticism sold to babylon for 30 after I made contact.

2390 Got another Warrior from a goodie hut. Right next to barb camp which he killed next turn adn was promoted.

Did a tech trade with babylon Iron working for Alphabet and 60 Gold, then The wheel for 1 gold per turn and 90 Gold lump sum.

Then I sold mysticism to Spain for 10 gold and Masonry to the Mongols for 40 Gold.

2200 , a goody hut just to the south gave me a village that wanted to join so I got Boston.

2150 Germany Contacted and sold alphabet for 10.

2110 stopped the game here. I am 7th out of ten overall. score is 109 and high is 150 and thats the Iroquiois. # 2 is babylon.

Those two will be my first victums in a "pruning" campaign.

Im going to try and REX as much as I can, keep science turned down and trade/ buy techs like crazy. Right now Im tied in tech with Babylon and everyone else Ive found is behind.

Next Im going NW towards Spain for Iron, Gold and Cattle.

Then Im going to get those furs to the SE near Boston.

I think Im doing fairly well for me. I usually played regent and Im playing this at monarch. Im going to have to start planning my first horse or archer rush soon after I settle two more cities in the next couple of turns.

Here is where I am 3 cities:
                Attached Files
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I'm playing Monarch with AU.

3950 - Founded Washington one square east (4) of the starting point. Didn't realize it at the time, but there are Dyes two squares away that will be helpful. Got a Settler from the hut to the South, lucky break - he headed south to make use of the flood plain/wheat tile discovered by my Scout. Since I got that free Settler, I decided to push straight for the Great Library and went right for the Pyramids pre-build.

3850 - Founded New York on the river to the south. This is going to be one heck of a Settler-pump city, with the flood plain/wheat. I went for a worker first, though, to get the improvements up and running.

3600 - Met the Mongols via a Scout on my city outskirts. Joy, a warrior civ in a diplomatic game. Traded them Masonry for Cerimonial Burial and 10 gold.

3550 - New York builds a Worker - on to Settler.

3450 - Finally found a second hut and obtained Mysticism. Thought about trading it to the Mongols, but they only have Warrior Code and The Wheel with no gold, and won't trade two techs for one. I'd rather keep them behind in tech for now. Also, Washington grew and expanded borders, so it's time to start heading for that Dye.

3100 - Found a Mongol border to the south. Can't see the city yet, so it must be the capital. Apparently they haven't been able to expand north yet.

2950 - Discovered Alphabet and completed the great Dye road. Good thing, since my cities had just hit 3 population and the Dye keeps 'em happy.

2900 - Settler finished in New York - started on another right away. Decided to build my next city on the hills four squares southwest (3) of Washington, so I could grab the furs there. Traded the Mongols Alphabet and Mysticism for Bronze Working and Warrior Code - not the best deal in the world, but I need to get some use out of those techs before the Monogls pick them up elsewhere.

2800 - Met a Babylonian Warrior in the southlands. Traded them Alphabet for 10 gold - their tech is behind mine.

2670 - Founded Boston over by those Furs. Also revealed a barbarian Warrior - crap. Well, lost gold coming up.

2590 - The barbarians, for reasons know only to themselves, failed to move on Boston. Sweet - I've actually got time to build a Warrior there for defense. My Scout discovered the Babylonians in the far southwest - they just founded their third city.

2470 - The barbarians finally decide to move up next to Boston, but my Warrior is now ready and fortified in anticipation of an attack.

2430 - A barbarian attack is beaten off in Boston. Another warrior has appeared, but I'm not going to chase him down just yet.

2390 - New York builds another settler. This one is heading south, to hopefully cut off the Mongols before they start seriously expanding north.

2270 - Founded Philadelphia south of New York. I'm a little disappointed since the Mongols built a city four squares southwest last turn, but I figure this position is good enough to be worth grabbing anyhow. I decided to build another scout here, since my first one still isn't having much luck in finding the other civs.

2150 - I'm one turn from Writing and 31 from the Pyramids, giving me a good shot at the Great Library. The barbarians are threatening Boston again, but I'm sure my Warrior can hold them off. New York is all that I had hoped in Settler production - another one will be ready in just a few turns.
                  Attached Files
                  "It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black."
                  -- despair.com

Comment

Working...
                  X