AU210: UN Peacekeepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU210: UN Peacekeepers

Welcome to Apolyton University Course 210 – UN Peacekeepers.

The theme of this course is of course keeping the peace. This means that each nation that starts the game must finish the game for this to be considered a successful “win”. All non-PTW win conditions are on, though conquest and domination won’t be very successful tactics. To provide a decent challenge a few rules have been instituted. Once the middle ages roll around, your nation is considered “enlightened” and that is when the true peacekeeper mission begins. Until then the other nations are fair game (ought to provide some interest from those wanting to stay away from the middle ages). From the middle ages on you may only capture the sovereign cities of other nations to ensure peace between your two nations, and only if that nation attacked you first. You may declare war on any nation that has first declared war on another nation or yourself to prevent those nations from waging a war of mutual annihilation.

Good diplomacy will often be the key in this game, though Machiavellian tactics are not discouraged. The key of this game is after all to have fun while playing it.

This scenario settings are large pangaea map with 70% water, 5 billion years old, raging barbarians, and all original civ3 victory conditions on. Difficulty level is interchangeable from regent to deity. The civilization that was chosen is the Americans. The scenario has also been set up using the AU mod or the standard rules. If you have not used the AU mod before please go here: AU mod overview for the thread which contains the changes made to the game with the AU mod. When writing your DAR’s please state whether you are using the AU mod or standard rules, though I highly encourage the use of the AU mod.

I will be setting up several “during action report” (DAR) threads that will be linked to this first thread. Please take the time to write DARs and post screenshots. Besides having fun Apolyton University is about learning. Not only can you help other posters and lurkers with your ideas and tactics, but others can also post suggestions that may help you out.

I will include the file containing the AU mod games with this post and the standard games in the second post. If anyone has any trouble with the zip files please PM me and I will email you the files.

Have fun and good luck!!!

AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 1 – 4000bc-2150bc
    AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 2 – Contact with all other civs
    AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 3 – Able to build forbidden palace
    AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 4 – End of middle ages
    AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 5 – End of industrial age
    AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 6 – End of the game
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 4, 2003, 01:29.

And the standard games...
    Attached Files

Comment

The starting location.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Just kidding

The real starting location....
        Attached Files

Comment

BTW, now I can finally get back to finishing up my retry of AU209!

Comment

Though for a minute you were making son of so hot, with all that jungle.

Comment

LOL!

For a second there, I thought you wanted to one-up me as the evil scenario creator! Good one.

Thanks for setting this up, I look forward to it.

Dominae
              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Re: AU210: UN Peacekeepers

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
                From the middle ages on you may only capture the sovereign cities of other nations to ensure peace between your two nations, and only if that nation attcked you first. You may declare war on any nation that has first declared war on another nation or yourself to prevent those nations from waging a war of mutual annihilation.
                I'm not sure I really get it. Here's my understanding:

1. Pre-Medieval you can play however you like.

2. Post-Medieval, you can only capture a civ's cities if that civ declared war on you.

3. Post-Medieval, you may only go to war with a civ that is already at war.

So, my interpretation of #2 is: when you declare war on a civ to protect another civ, you may not capture your new enemy's cities (post-Medieval). Does this last statement pretty much sum it up, or am I missing something?

Dominae
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Re: Re: AU210: UN Peacekeepers

Originally posted by Dominae

I'm not sure I really get it. Here's my understanding:

1. Pre-Medieval you can play however you like.

2. Post-Medieval, you can only capture a civ's cities if that civ declared war on you.

3. Post-Medieval, you may only go to war with a civ that is already at war.

So, my interpretation of #2 is: when you declare war on a civ to protect another civ, you may not capture your new enemy's cities (post-Medieval). Does this last statement pretty much sum it up, or am I missing something?

Dominae
                  That is what I had intended. The goal of "peacekeeping" isn't to annihilate the other civ or take his cities, but to mess with them enough to keep all of them in the game. You aren't forced to declare war on any civs at any time in the game, but you can to keep other civs from being annihilated.

Keep in mind what I had said about "Machiavellian tactics" though. If you can get the other civ to declare war on you, then you're free and clear to take his cities until a peace accord is worked out. I don't want to set rules against how long a war will last until the peace is worked out, but if a civ does get too weak then you'll really have to protect that civ in the later game.

Comment

Well done... and I, too, fell prey to your jungle joke.

Whew!
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

You got me too. I must admit that when I saw the fake starting location, I called you a, well, let's just say I questioned the legitimacy of your birth!

This sounds like an interesting game. Very different from the ones I usually play. I'm going to try to get to this game this weekend, but not sure if that's gonna happen.
                      They don't get no stranger.
                      Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
                      "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Love the jungle shot, Rhoth.

Now there's a thought : a Monty Python School of Civ. Only extremely silly scenarios need apply.

MPSC101: Small pangea, every tile jungle, five industrious civs and called "So very Mosquito-y".

Comment

OK I am making a comeback with CIV III after a long hiatus and I think Im going to try this out, this looks interesting!

Thanks Rhothaerill for pointing me in the right direction.

How long do these usually last? Weeks? Months? Thanks!
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Mostly weeks.

Comment

Presumably you're not supposed to eliminate rival civs in the ancient era...

Comment

Working...
                              X