Pace of Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pace of Play

Ok - I don't mean to complain - well actually - yes I do.

I appreciate that war is a complex buisness - Vox having been there themselves - and yes - maybe if we spent a bit more time discussing and analyzing our moves, we may have done somewhat better. But, every turn did not take 24 hours PER TEAM, as is now the rule.

Is anyone else bothered by the pace of play? If not, I'll be quiet and go back to my research on how to get water out of a mountain.

But if yes, maybe it is something we should discuss.

Not being in the know, there may be earth-shattering events going on that take this long to contemplate. And one or two turns I can understand. But it has been moving at this very slow pace for awhile now.

(I acknowledge that the ISDG and strategy forums seem to have benefitted by the slow pace here, and an increase in interest there. )
    No - fine by me.
    3.13%
    No - given the events in the game.
    56.25%
    Yes - even with the events in the game.
    34.38%
    I'm completely indifferent. :)
    6.25%
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

I vote, yes.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I'm unsure how to vote in this poll. Am I okay with the time it takes for each individual turn? Yes, actually, as I'm busier in RL and this means less time spent each week debating plans. However, if I consider how long it will take to finish the game at this rate... yes, I would like it if we could speed up.

Comment

I voted yes, but part of it is probably because we're Voxians with 3 minute long turns.

Comment

No, given what is currently taking place.

Part of the problem is indeed that the need to spend a lot more time on the ISDG for many of the major decision-makers is sapping their time from the PTWDG.

Part of the problem is that there's a war... and wars are messy business that involve a change in the situation every time you open the save file. That takes both time and it requires that you get the appropriate people together in chat to make those decisions together.

So yeah... the pace is about what one should expect, given what is currently taking place.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

With Galley landings, 3 movement Riders, Huge SOD's, Settlers disguised as workers, and a 2 vs 2 war, each turn has such a variety of changes that it is almost impossible to preplan.

Any new developmenets must be shared with military allies, and a combined response discussed & planned.

These things take time.

I vote no - given the events in the game.

Once GS gives up their futile world domination plans and returns home, the turns will speed up again.
            "No Comment"

Comment

The turns are moving too fast for me!

Comment

Re: Pace of Play

Originally posted by Beta

Is anyone else bothered by the pace of play? If not, I'll be quiet and go back to my research on how to get water out of a mountain.
                Hit the mountain with a staf and pray to the almighty God that it splites and water flows out of it. Moses tried it about 3000 years ago and according to the bible it worked.

And if it doesn't appear the first time, keep trying and show faith

Aidun
                "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Re: Re: Pace of Play

Originally posted by Aidun

Hit the mountain with a staf and pray to the almighty God that it splites and water flows out of it. Moses tried it about 3000 years ago and according to the bible it worked.

And if it doesn't appear the first time, keep trying and show faith

Aidun
                  Thank you. This sound scientific advice is appreciated and is being passed on to the engineers working on the problem right now.

If we have problems, we will let you know.

Comment

I try to keep within 24 hr rules(we actually suceeded the last 2 turns), but every turn requires analysis and discussion after you see the enemy moves. To get input on this requires all to see save and get feedback and then response to feedback. So considering all this it is understandable. Once we win, things will go faster.
                    Aggie
                    The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I voted yes. The last GS turn was pretty much my fault... I insisted on a late schedule due to RL, then ended up having to play the turn myself, which was the first time for me in any of the 'major' DGs, and it took me a while.

Won't happen again, sorry.

That said, while major issues are unfolding, a little flexibility is appropriate.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
                        Once GS gives up their futile world domination plans and returns home, the turns will speed up again.
                        Hey, you guys started this party

Comment

It was not funny at a two day weekend with much free time, when the save did not come, and on Monday early morning it did arrive after almost two days, when I had no time.
                          Playing Civ 4

Comment

I have to admit that the current pace is fine with me, especially considering the current events. It's true that it is going to take quite some time to finish the game at this pace, but then... is this something to "get done" or something to "have fun with"? I strongly believe forcing the fighting teams to play faster would be taking the fun and participation out of the game for them.

At least, PtWDG has become more of a "leisure activity" for me, rather than a "second job" as it was the case some time ago.

That said, the Lego turn will be played very shortly - sorry for the delay this time. I was away for most of today - and as there were minor changes we needed to briefly discuss, the turn was not played earlier, when our US players could have played it.

Comment

Zayxus, if you are referring to GS, again, my sincere apology.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X