mac ptw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mac ptw?

I saw on the apolyton site that civiii.com was recently updated. I went to see if there was anything to do with mac ptw (i consider civiii tremendously annoying without proper civ placement and some of the civs that are missing) and waaay down on the bottom where it used to say ::mac coming soon:: it doesn't say that anymore. it was supposed to be out in time for christmas 2003, last I heard. have they just given up?

This is infuriating.

You know, if they only came out with an patch that allows you to define proper civ placement with the ordinary civiii editor i'd be able to put in the couple extra civs I want and be much happier.

Are they still developing ptw? and when is it supposedt to be out?

Re: mac ptw?

Originally posted by Antaine
    Are they still developing ptw? and when is it supposedt to be out?
    They never began developing PTW for Mac. When the Civ3.com site wrote "coming soon," Inforgrames (Civ3 publisher) still owned MacSoft which publishes the mac version. However, MacSoft had just been sold so any plans that were considered by Infogrames are null & void. The current owner of MacSoft Games (Peter Tamte) is currently not considering a PTW port for mac. And, now that Conquests is on its way, probably never will. The only way we'll see PTW is if Conquests gets ported, and would only happen if Conquests PC sales are very good.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

There has to be something we can do as mac users to improve the situation. Software companies' attitude towards us is like oil companies saying, "since many more vehicles use unleaded gasoline than diesel, we're going to stop making diesel fuel."

apple could make a small fortune by buying rights to make mac ports of the most popular software themselves when developers are unwilling to do it.

Would it be possible for an independent person to develop a patch or utility that would allow for proper civ placement at least? They had them for pcs long before ptw, why not mac?

okay... as I'm typing I called Destineer. They said they couldn't release any information about prospective products or not, which I understand as they probably want to take a little time to assess what they're going to do with macsoft.

They are, however, taking comments from those that call in. I think our best bet is to call them through the numbers on macsoftgames.com (763-231-8100 - I think it's option 4, the one for corporate offices). They took over a mac software co looking to sell software to mac users. Let's let them know that if it was out there mac users would buy it. Maybe that's the answer to my opening comments...

Comment

There is something you can do. Buy EU2 which is far better than Civ III and is made by a company which bothers about mac users.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          There is something you can do. Buy EU2 which is far better than Civ III and is made by a company which bothers about mac users.
          True, and HOI (Hearts of Iron) began shipping today. You can pick it up also through MacPlay.
          I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."

Comment

What's Hearts of Iron all about?
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

What's Hearts of Iron all about?

HoI Forum

HoI Page

Comment

Originally posted by dojoboy

True, and HOI (Hearts of Iron) began shipping today. You can pick it up also through MacPlay.
                Oh man...
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

When's HOI released in Japan? And will I be able to understand it?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    When's HOI released in Japan? And will I be able to understand it?
                    I'm not sure who is distributing it in East Asia, but I'll look into it. Do oyu mean understand it in reagrds of learning to play it? It is a different game than Civ3, and, in many ways, it has a higher learning curve than Civ3. But, it is a WWII RTS game that plays like a TBS. And, the system specs are low:

Requirements
                    iMacs (revision B or later
                    G3/G4 (blue and white desktops or later)
                    Any machine in OSX
                    MacOS 9.0 or later
                    333 MHz or faster
                    128MB Memory
                    DrawSprocket 1.7.6 or later
                    InputSprocket 1.7.3 or later
                    QuickTime 4.0 or later

Comment

Do oyu mean understand it in reagrds of learning to play it?

No, I mean understanding it in regards to being able to read the text. ****ing kanji...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Big deal... looks like it's stuck in just the WWII period, right?
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Heck, I'd be happy with C3C. Doesn't it have PtW in it?

Comment

I'm going to wait until it turns up at the mac store (yes there is a mac store a block and a half from my house. ).

I need to get some work done.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

This is just a response I got from e-mailing MacSoft TechSupport inquiring about PtW or Conquests.

Hi,

We have no current plans to bring "Play the World" or "Conquests" to the
                              Mac. Essentially, the PC version of Play the World makes cross-platform
                              multiplayer gaming virtually impossible to implement. I don't know if
                              someone else might be porting these for the Mac, but we have never had this
                              in our plans.

Sincerely,

Greg Grimes
                              MacSoft Technical Support

Comment

Working...
                              X