Plug and Play it ain't so!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug and Play it ain't so!

I'm having a problem with my computer right now, and I'm wondering if there is anyone here who could help me.

I recently bought a used computer, with a CD Rom drive dated from 1999. This CD-Rom drive is older than the one that I had on my first computer, bought in 2001.

Now, here's what I wanted to do. Since I want all the newest components on my new computer, I want to install my newer CD-Rom drive on my new computer.

The model of the CD-Rom drive that I want to install is a LE CRD-8522B. When I checked out the manufacturer's website, it told me that for a Windows 98 system (my OS), that this device is Plug and Play.

So here's the deal. Removing the old CD-Rom and replacing it with the new one gave me several messages.

First off, on startup, I got the message, secondary Hard-Drive not detected.

Secondly, when I looked on the Device manager, there was no mention of a CD-Rom drive.

Now what do I need to do to properly install this device? The help section does not cover the instance where absolutely no CD Rom drive shows up on the Device Manager.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Check the jumper settings on the CD-ROM you just installed - if it's set for CS (cable select) make sure your IDE cable is CS compatible (the master connecter will be black, the slave connector grey, and the connector that goes to the IDE connector on your motherboard will be red or blue most likely - if it doesn't look like that, it ain't a CS compatible cable).

If it's not set for CS, make sure it's set for master or slave, compatible with the HD if you have both the HD and CD-ROM on the same IDE cable/ connector.

If you have each drive on a different cable going to a different IDE connector, then the master/slave config shouldn't be an issue, but you still have to check for cable select and if the cable itself is CS compatible.

Also, on some older CD-ROMs and HDs, the IDE cable doesn't have the little center ridge on it that makes it only fit in one way - it's possible to reverse it, so if that's the case with the type of cable you have, verify that the red striping for pin #1 is on the same side as the power connector to your CD-ROM.

Once you've checked out the physical connection, then when you boot, go into your BIOS, and (depending on BIOS manufacturer) look for an option that's either something like "basic configuration", or "IDE device configuration" - wherever you tell it to detect your drives. You may need to change to auto-detect for the IDE channel that your new/old CD-ROM is hooked into.

Windows can't recognize the drive until the physical connection and BIOS configuration is straightened out, so despite the vagaries of Plug-n-Pray, this isn't a PnP problem.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Windows can't recognize the drive until the physical connection and BIOS configuration is straightened out, so despite the vagaries of Plug-n-Pray, this isn't a PnP problem.
      MtG:

Thanks. I've never done this on my own, so I had no idea where the problem lay.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

MtG:

Also, on some older CD-ROMs and HDs, the IDE cable doesn't have the little center ridge on it that makes it only fit in one way - it's possible to reverse it, so if that's the case with the type of cable you have, verify that the red striping for pin #1 is on the same side as the power connector to your CD-ROM.
        Confirmed. I have the cable on the right side.

As for the Master/Slave, each of my three drives have seperate IDE cables to the motherboard, my hard drive, cd-rom drive and disk drive.

Cable select? I have a blue cord that connects from the cd-rom to the motherboard. Does that count?

Comment

No, you have to check the jumper settings. On the back of your CD-ROM drive, there is a series of small pins, possibly with a small connector placed on two of those pins.

This is the jumper setting. You have to verify it's position with a schematic of how the jumper should be placed for your drive. This schematic you can probably find on a sticker on the drive. If not, the manufacturers website is a good bet.

If the jumper is set to CS, then you have to check whether your IDE cable supports this, if not, and it is on a separate cable, then set it as master.

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Asmodean:

Thanks.

BIOS just gave me more of the same.
            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 29, 2003, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

The second just gives me a choice between none or Auto. Disabling the second prevents the computer from detecting the primary hard-drive.
              That is because your primary hard drive is on controller 2, which is unusual, but not really important.

For IDE drives, you have two controllers, each with the possibility to connect two IDE drives. The fact that you have your harddrive and your CD-ROM drive on separate cables to your motherboard, means that they are on separate controllers as well. So Your setup is this:

Controller 1: Master: CD-ROM, Slave: None
              Controller 2: Master: Hard-Drive, Slave: None

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Now I understand after looking up what a jumper means.

Now, my current jumper configuration is

: [] :

Now, I can't seem to find information on this specific CD-rom drive.

Now, what would be the consequences of experimenting by adjusting the jumpers?

[] : :

or : : []

Would these be the only other possibilities to consider?

Comment

Generally yes.

One is for cable select, one for master, one for slave. Experiment.

Did you remember to plug power into the cdrom? I've managed to forget that quite a few times, and one time in particular managed to plug the power in upside down. This is despite the fact the power plug is shaped to only go in one way.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Did you remember to plug power into the cdrom? I've managed to forget that quite a few times, and one time in particular managed to plug the power in upside down. This is despite the fact the power plug is shaped to only go in one way.
                    CD Rom has power. First thing I checked.

Now I just have to pry off the jumper...

Trying

[] : :

Comment

It works, though my computer hanged when trying to transfer files from the cd-rom.

Definite progress though.

It detects, and installs a valid D:/ drive.

Comment

In the POST (POwer-up Self Test), what did it report re. your CD-ROM drive. Master or Slave?

Asmodean

Comment

is there a firmware update for that lg drive?
                          B♭3

Comment

In the POST (POwer-up Self Test), what did it report re. your CD-ROM drive. Master or Slave?
                            Slave.

I was just using a bad CD to test the CD rom drive.

Everything works on my good computer.

Thanks Asmodean and MtG!

Comment

Working...
                            X