General strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General strategy

I've not used Freeciv before, but as my university has a big computer hall full of Unix computers, am I and some others goin to play a Freeciv game this weekend after a practice exam. And as I haven't played freeciv before I need some tips (or facts to adapt my own strategies could do as well ).

What of Sid's civ is it closest to? Civ1 or Civ2? and what are the biggest differences from these games? Anything special I should think about?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Freeciv would be closest to Civ2 at the moment. The main difference being there's no AI diplomacy in 1.14 (will be in 1.15). AI civs hate you and other human players with a vengance, period.

Gameplaywise I should note that the AI is more aware of ICS and plays very agressive. You won't be able to win by cultivating your own little island and hope to be left alone.

FC shines when it comes to micromanagement. You can put units on autoexplore, patrol, road construction, multiple worklist etc...Those features really come into play once your empire grows to a decent size.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I've played a couple of Freeciv 1.4 games and it's similar to Civ2 (the tech tree is identical) except for

1. No AI diplomacy (as mentioned before) - you are at war with any AI civ you meet

2. Only 3 trade routes per city (which cannot be changed by another caravan route ie no chance to add more gold/science beakers after the first three routes for each city)

Apply the accumulated wisdom from the Great Library in the Civ2 Strategy forum and you can easily win at the highest difficulty level.

With the above differences, I think OCC would be a real challenge

Comment

What is OCC?

One difference to keep in mind is that Freeciv with default ruleset does not have Fundamentalism, Elephants or Crusaders. (This is intentional, by the way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Per
          What is OCC?

One difference to keep in mind is that Freeciv with default ruleset does not have Fundamentalism, Elephants or Crusaders. (This is intentional, by the way.)
          'OCC' stands for One City Challenge. It's a special Civ2 gamechallenge. You may only build one city and need to win by building a spaceship and be the first to reach Alpha Centauri.

It's actually possible in Civ2. Crazy, but true
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I guess it is also possible in Freeciv. You just need to know how to prevent the AI from taking an interest in you. You also need enough AIs around fighting each other to prevent them from launching before you do. And a lot of luck.

Comment

The Civ2 OCC strategy has been fairly well worked out. Originally it depended on help from allied civs for gifts of gold to rush-build and to dump techs to minimise the increased "carrying-cost" of research.

Per, would you know if the Freeciv engine is the same ie if the cost of research in terms of beakers required per advance increases as you progress up the tech tree? Could be found out by trial-and-error but I thought a developer might know

In any case, I'd agree that OCC in Freeciv is possible - I'd put a starting position with 4 trade specials an important prerequisite for my first try!

Comment

Yes, the cost of techs increases every time you learn a new tech.
                The amount it goes up by is set by the server variable researchcost.
                Default is 10.
                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                XGalaga.

Comment

This thread has stirred up interest in trying out an OCC in Freeciv which I have succumbed to. Did it successfully and landed a modest AC 1888. Some interesting facets highlighting the differences from Civ2 will be posted in a separate thread here.

Comment

Working...
                  X