Computer problem...Big problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem...Big problem

Recently i had my computer crash and that seemed normal enough, but now my computer will freeze at the bios screen right after it displays the CPU make and model.

I have
    a pentium 4 2.4 mhz (800mhz FSB)
    Abit IS7 Mobo
    1024 mb geil ram ddr 400
    300 watt psu by enermax
    40gb ibm hd
    80gb Western Digital HD

im really stumped as to the problem because it wont even let me get into the bios menus, it just freezes. Im really stressed and saddened by this because up until recently this computer has had no problems.

what do you think is wrong?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Any new hardware installed lately?

Comment

can you go into safe mode?
      Donate to the American Red Cross.
      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

the only new hardware i installed was a wireless ethernet hub that connects via USB. also i installed a few windows security patches recently.

and no, i cant go into safe mode. the computer always freezes right in the middle of the memory check. Ive tried taking out sticks and replacing them with each other and using them seperately and that hasnt yielded any results.
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Sounds serious.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Have you tried unplugging the USB hub? Have you tried cleaning the board or at least ensuring it isn't caked with dust? Are you getting any beep codes? When the system freezes, is it counting memory or does it freeze before the count even starts?

Comment

I will try to unplug the usb connection, i will try to get dust off. I dont get any beep codes unfortunately. When the system freezes it counts the first 2 digits(1 and 0 respectively) and then freezes without putting the rest of the digits.

Comment

Maybe your Processor-Fan was accidentally plugged out?

This could cause the Processor to rapidly overheat at startup
                and (if this feature is installed) cause the BIOS to make a safety shutdown.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Perhaps you should flash the bios.
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I checked the processor fan and it is working. Its interesting because i thought that was the problem at first too but its working.

how would i go about flashing the bios. from what i understand you need to actually boot to a floppy to do that.

Comment

Perhaps you should flash the bios.
                      Hold on there, chief! I wouldn't recommend that.

When you say that it gets a one and a zero, I don't understand. Mine rapidly counts up to 256 as it verifies memory. Is that what yours is doing?

Comment

Perhaps you should flash the bios
                        how would i go about flashing the bios
                        Step 1: Get a trench coat
                        Step 2: Take of all your clothes and don said coat
                        Step 3
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

no, it doesnt even count, it displays "10" and thats it. i know thats the first 2 digits of my memory. when i unplugged one stick the only digit was 5. its pretty silly.

Comment

how would i go about flashing the bios. from what i understand you need to actually boot to a floppy to do that.
                            You need a boot floppy to update it. I'll bet that's what Caligastia was talking about. I believe some chips can be blanked, like if you try an update and then cut the power in the middle of it, and if you do that you have to get a new chip.

Comment

You might be able to update the bios. If you go to the manufacturer's website they should have something there for you.
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
                              X