Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding possible auto-play / zero-player mode....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding possible auto-play / zero-player mode....

My apologies if this has already been asked, but my searching didn't seem to reveal an answer:

Is there a way to have the computer play itself to finish out a game? My Dad who is an avid player would like to stop playing a game, but watch the computer play it out. Is there a way to trick the computer into an auto-play or zero-player mode?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Edgar Newt

In mid-game, No.
    But you can create a scenario where you are isolated on an out-of-the-way 1-tile island. Have a Settler and heavy defense unit(s) -- e.g., Mech Infantry. Don't ever build a city, and the existence of the Settler keeps you in the game.
    EDIT: Also required
    Scenario menu > Scenario Properties > Debug Mode
    or at least Map Explored
    Last edited by Jaybe; September 26, 2003, 14:02.

Comment

...and put a heavy object on the "Enter" key to skip all your turns.
      Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
        ...and put a heavy object on the "Enter" key to skip all your turns.
        You don't have to do THAT, do you?
        Preferences: Game (top) section: "Always wait at end of turn" -- uncheck it.

Of course, you might prefer to wait. I think I'd prefer to manually do it; no heavy object, no unchecking the preference.

Comment

Good point Jaybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

You don't have to do THAT, do you?
            Preferences: Game (top) section: "Always wait at end of turn" -- uncheck it.
            No, I think that even if you uncheck that, it waits at end of turn if there's zero units to be moved.
            Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
              No, I think that even if you uncheck that, it waits at end of turn if there's zero units to be moved.
              True, because if it didn't wait, how on earth would you start any diplomacy or change cities' build order if turns just went by? That would be incredibly stupid option

I'd like to see just computer against computer matches too. I seem to remember that in some older strategy games, like Warlords II, you could just sit there and watch computers play after human player(s) was destroyed or retired. Of course Civ 3 is not designed for that kind of play, it'd quickly become boring to stay on that island not seeing anything, because uncharted territory and fog of war would prevent you from seeing anything...

Comment

Actually I would be interested in finding a way to do this too - it would be useful for testing custom maps etc.

My question, assuming you put a settler on a rock somewhere to keep you 'in the game' - how would you see all the AI movements, wouldnt the world just be black?
                'It's all just a bunch of flees fighting over who owns the dog'

Comment

Asmodeus, did everyone (including myself!) neglect to mention
                  DEBUG Mode

Scenario menu > Scenario Properties
                  Debug checkbox (access the Help for options while playing in debug).
                  Map Explored is also available, but is included within Debug

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                    In mid-game, No.
                    But you can create a scenario where you are isolated on an out-of-the-way 1-tile island. Have a Settler and heavy defense unit(s) -- e.g., Mech Infantry. Don't ever build a city, and the existence of the Settler keeps you in the game.
                    EDIT: Also required
                    Scenario menu > Scenario Properties > Debug Mode
                    or at least Map Explored
                    Sort of a slight variation that works along the same theme, although I haven't tried this: instead of a single one-tile island, set it up so it looks like the picture. This way your settler can't build a city or escape, and the opponents can't get to your settler, because they cannot get through the ring around your island. That way, not as many (if any) heavy defense units are needed.
                    Attached Files
                    Pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 2848111...
                    Approximately.

Comment

Nice, it works well. i made one up and left it going over night to see how it goes, however it goes slowly cause with the debug mode on it shows every move... (even when 'show enemy movements' is turned off).
                      Revolution Gaming - Revolution Technology

Comment

Turn off "Animate movements" as well. It'll still show you certain movements though, like the founding of cities.
                        Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Working...
                        X