Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Invitation

to the first AU Succession Game!!

Rhothaerill has done an excellent job of putting together a new format of succession game for Apolyton University, similar in concept to 'scramble' in golf, whereby each member of a team will play a block of turns and then the best save is chosen for everyone to use for the next block of turns.

We currently have three teams with different styles / goals:
    * warmonger / domination
    * builder / spaceship
    * opportunistic

This format is an excellent opportunity to see other people's styles of play, and to participate in what will undoubtedly be very high performance games.

I'd like to invite everybody to join (especially those who do not frequent the Strat forum )... if need be, we can certainly add more teams.

The main thread is here:

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

I forgot to mention a few very important things:

* This is not a competition, but, as per AU philosophy, a joint effort to have fun and learn.

* You don't have to play in every block of turns, including the first one... it doesn't matter, you can jump in any time. So one thing people might want to do is check out the first block (which has been completed) before picking a team to join. For that matter, feel free to lurk for a while before playing!

As I mentioned above, we've played the first block of turns, with 17 players on three teams, and have started the process of critiquing and voting for the first block picks. We are all having a lot of fun, and watching the many different strategies and tactics employed is awesome.

Join up!!
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Just a quick note in addition to Theseus' comments. We've finished the first turn block and started the discussion period about the turn blocks that have been played so far. There is a wide variety of ways of start the first 40 turns within the 19 games played (all with the same start conditions) and each and every game has something to offer, whether you're a Civ3 newbie or the most jaded deity player. Now with the discussion period we're discussing not only the merits of the games, but giving suggestions of how to improve each game. Even if you only want to lurk on the threads it's a great way to pick up gameplay tips and strategies. If you'd like to join, you're more than welcome. We'll be starting the second turn block on Friday and everyone has an equal chance to have their save picked as the start of the next turn block. Come join us!

Comment

A further note: both now and in the future, the AUSG games will provide a platform for both learning and also for experimentation.

If someone develops a new city placement methodology, or wants to try out a new style of play, we will have an established map and several performance records (i.e., completed or in progress team games) as a testbed, including the ability to jump in from the start of any given block of turns (instead of always starting at 4000BC).

Pretty cool.

Comment

Why are people afraid of the Strat forum?

This is your chance to play with some of those b@stards in Gathering Storm (Arrian, Theseus, alexman, etc.)!

Dominae
          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I won't play with you bastards (that's not censored, is it?)

Just kidding. I have hard time constraints lately, and there's no relief in sight (at the countrary) . I post mainly in short breaks between work sessions, and play my PBEMs at evenings. I may be could play at some time, but the DAR thing scares me. Also I can't afford to read all the cool stuff the others wrote, and to participate in the discussions.

Btw, it's very cool that you guys got this succession game running, in a very professional way and as it looks with a stunning success . I remember it since it was just an idea in our PM discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae

This is your chance to play with some of those b@stards in Gathering Storm (Arrian, Theseus, alexman, etc.)!

Dominae
              Maybe if it's still going after October. No time till then

If not, I'll catch the next one.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Dominae
                Rivalry is confined merely to this forum

(btw, join up, it's fun!)
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I have a new addiction called "Port Royale" (who would have thought the $MiniGame would incarnate intself into a Pirates! hybrid? amazing). And Gathering Storm only relates to this forum, I don't think of them outside of this game.

Sir Ralph and I have a long standing rivalry from the heated arguments over the Forbidden Palace move in the Civ3DemoGame but that's about it.

Team Sunshine I hate everywhere..............

Comment

Just because we banned you from spying at our team forum?

Comment

I thought that was the reason Vox started the war.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Rhoth and Theseus ... this is my first active participation in the AU games, and I am loving it. Thanks for the invite Rhoth!
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Beta I am glad you are liking it. Will you promise to continue in the AU?

Comment

Working...
                          X