Apolyton University Succession Game - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton University Succession Game - Part 2

As outlined here: AU Succession Game I am starting an effort to make an Apolyton University Succession Game. However, with Conquests coming out in little over a month, and the fact that a succession game would, by it's nature, take longer than a regular AU game, should we wait for Conquests before starting a succession game?
    Yes, wait
    20.00%
    No, start it now
    73.33%
    Who cares, I won't play anyway
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

It could take longer than its announced date, so go for it.

Comment

I say start the first one with PtW then move on with Conquest once the first game is over.

--Kon--
      Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Assuming everyone plays their turns regularly (within, say, 48 hours), the games should be quite advanced by the time Conquests comes out.

I say go for it.

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

vmxa1 and Kon, did you both mean to vote for "start now"? That is what it sounded like in your posts, but there is only one vote for "start it now" and I'm pretty sure Dominae was the one who voted for that one.

Comment

Whoops I did not even notice the vote, so here ya go.

Comment

we had started an AU succession game at MZO when poly crashed in April. Probably took around 2 months to finish more or less. I guess we could start a PtW game and finish it before C3C comes out.

Oh and btw, sign me up, I don't have much time to play civ these days but the 10 or 20 turns we each would get is short enough
              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

START IT NOW!!

Go back... there are ample notes here and at MZO to get a pretty cool game going and done before C3C.

One contribution I can definitely make is in recruiting... if we get this going, I can harang some of the "greybeards" ( ) into participating.

[:cough: GS recruiter :cough:]
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

btw, what are we going to do when many people join? I mean we can't have a SG with 25 people....

At MZO we split the game in two (a 1.21 and 1.14 version) and two teams were formed, so it was kind of a competition.

Just an idea, if we do this (have many games) we could:

1) To it randomly selected so we get an interesting mix of players who don't necessarily have played with each other before (I like this for diversity's sake).

2) To let the people organize themselves into teams

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Master Zen brilliant idea. I think we should do it that way.

Comment

That is a great idea if we get a bunch of people (which I'm of course hoping for ). And I like option 1 if it is divided into two teams. With option 2 there is the possibility of the "schoolyard syndrome" where the "graybeards" would get picked first, etc. And I want to make it clear that everyone should have an equal shot in this.

Comment

yes, I think the educational aspect would be much better if we could get different people with different experience levels and play styles on a same team.

I'd say 5 is the optimal number of players in a game. This guarantees about 6-7 "rounds" for each of them (assuming a 10 turn round) and participation in all eras.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                          One contribution I can definitely make is in recruiting... if we get this going, I can harang some of the "greybeards" ( ) into participating.
                          Are you making fun of my grey beard?

Nah, succession games are not very much my cup of tea. I will lurk here at Apolyton.

Comment

Ok, I went back to check on the old succession games played at MZO played months earlier. There were three games played.

Two of them were the AU succession games which were started by Dominae. Like I mentioned, one was with 1.21 and the other with 1.14 since at the time many people did not switch because 1.21 had not come out for europeans.

AU SG1 1.21 was played by Dominae, Thesues, Nor Me, BigDork and Konquest02.

AU SG1 1.14 was played by FrustratedPoet, Panzer32, Arrian, Sir Ralph and myself. We never finished the game though as may people quit for time reasons.

Both of these games were identical: Rome/Emperor/Standard.

The third game was the FSGO game (FSGO= For Sexy Guys Only) a more light-hearted game where the AARs were probably the main fun of it all. It was also with Rome albeit a different map and on Monarch. The participants were Togas, BigFree, WhiteBandit, E_T, MrWhereItsAt, and myself.

I would advise those who haven't played a succession game to look at those threads to see more or less how it is, and how the AARs are done. The link is: http://central.masterzen.net/index.php?showforum=49. Check the FSGO thread which is simply hilarious, trust me

What I found most fun is the unpredictability of it all. It is fin to have the guy before you suddenly set you up in a war or having the next guy found a city in a spot you weren't thinking of. After all, everyone wants to win, but everyone has a different way of achieving it.

/me thinks he should also talk to Arrian and ZargonX about finishing the 1.14 game...

Comment

Yeah, yeah, I know, we should finish that game. We do have it won, though.

Anyway, fire it up now. One thing I would like: let's make the turn rule 24 or 36 hours - so that if someone like me (who is often away on the weekend and fails to log on the internet even once) doesn't hold up the game. If it passes the 24 or 36, people should go right ahead and grab it. If "my turn" gets skipped in that manner, I will have zero objection. I think that way the game has a better shot at completion.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X