Apolyton University Succession Game - Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton University Succession Game - Part 1

As the newly appointed deputy of Apolyton University I am currently pursuing an idea originally raised a few months ago, and then again a few days ago by Mad Bomber, about the possibility of an Apolyton University Succession Game.

This first poll is to get an idea whether or not people would like to see a succession game as an offshoot of Apolyton University. The second poll is in regard to timing.

The way I see this working is as follows…a succession game is a game where many people will play a certain number of turns. Everyone who played would then post in a DAR thread set up for this game where they would then describe their game and how it is going to this point, as well as posting a screen shot and the saved game. Then a poll would be started regarding the savegame that we all believe is the “best” one to continue with. Once the poll closed, then I would post the savegame, and everyone would then play the next block of turns with that game instead of the one they played the first block with.

The primary difference I see between a normal succession game and an AU succession game would be the DARs. These would be posted in AU format as a teaching tool, a “how I did this” as much as a “this is what I did”.

I believe that one of the main stumbling blocks in discussing your game in a DAR is pride. For AU209, 42 people at this point have downloaded the game, yet only about 6 or 7 have posted in the DAR threads. AU209 is a difficult game and I think part of the reason there is a lack of discussion about it is because most people haven’t finished it, or have lost like I did. I personally believe that even if you fail at a game there is a good reason to talk about how and why you failed since it is a learning experience not only for you, but for the people that lurk in the threads and garner ideas. But that’s neither here nor there. People do not necessarily want to talk about a game they played because it is solely “their” game. They either succeeded or failed on their own merits. That is where a succession game is different. Like a democracy game, a succession game belongs to everyone who is playing it, not just one person. When you play your game, you aren’t necessarily as interested in other people’s games because you aren’t playing them. But when you play as part of a succession game interest sparks in the way other people have played their games because you may end up playing someone else’s game for the next block of turns.

Now, I don’t want to forget the tenets of Apolyton University as set down by its founding fathers. Apolyton University should be a teaching tool, which is where the DAR’s once again rise up. Like many of the threads for both the AU games and the normal strategy threads there should be discussion about the game; how to help players play the game more soundly, tips and tricks, etc. The “graybeards” of the strategy forum are well-known for their willingness to help out others with their gameplay. And even those who don’t ask for help can lurk on the thread and learn something when a graybeard helps someone else.

So…thoughts on this? Suggestions? Right now I would just like to see if there is interest in an AU succession game. If there is interest then I will see about setting up the “rules” of the game and a scenario to start with (one with a little less of a horrific start than AU209). I would also like to receive input from others so that it isn’t just me deciding the course of the succession game.
    Yes I would participate
    68.75%
    Nope
    6.25%
    I'd like to lurk on the threads
    25.00%
    The AU banana (abstain)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; September 9, 2003, 18:40.

As you discribe the way it works, the issue I see is that many styles of play will not be compatible with that goal. IOW, if you like to do a builder and sort of turtle, your game wil not look as god as some aggressive players at some arbitrary stop point. That style would need more time to show it true value.
    I do see it as a good way to see compare note. BTW, I am don't disagree with you about players not posting if things go bad. I posted all the way to the end in the huge game, even though I actually lost. I remember one game I started and cleared the island I was on and saw it was a small island and no other civs were known and decided, I was not up for the task of island hopping. I had played a few in a row and was tired of lots of water.
    Not sure if that was AU209 or MZ game. That plus the game crashed. Firaxis now is saying it is not the game and they may be correct. Either way it has been a real pain to reinstall a few times a week for all their test.

Comment

That's a good point and can be discussed. One of the major stumbling blocks is also the fact that if we play at high levels then people who don't feel comfortable with the higher levels would feel left out, while if we were at lower levels then the higher level players wouldn't feel as challenged.

That's why I'd like feedback about this. If anyone has concerns/ideas please post them.

Comment

Unless you get a bunch of like-minded people, the only realistic goal you can set for a succession game is early victory. That is, all players agree to play for as quick a win as possible. With this in mind there should not be a problem with diverging goals; it is understood that each player is playing to the best of his or her ability.

I'll gladly participate.

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

YES!!!

Thanks, Rhothy, for gettin this idea going again. MY RL is horrifically busy, but I'll do whatever I can to help.

And did I say YES!!! ?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

And, btw, I'd like to extend an invitation to the lurkers out there...

This is very much an opportunity for newer players to improve their game in a big way, I believe. I think I've posted elsewhere, playing in the two big demogames has been a real eye-opener for me... AU Succession Games should provide the same benefit.

And beyond that, one of the most effective ways of learning / teaching has been posting saves for critique, with vxma1's efforts most recently having been extraordinary... succession games, I think, will be even better.

So speak now... tell us all what you'd like to learn!

[side note and teaser: Can't say all that I want to say. ]
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I take a seat at the peanut gallery.

Comment

I said it on the Part 2 threads, but I'll say it again, count me in
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Though I won't guarantee I'll definitely be around to play every time my turn comes up, count me in.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Count me in, but with vmxa1 reservation: I (we) hope that builder strategies will also be taken into account.
                    Question: only 1 level or is it multi-level?
                    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

You know, if we have enough players, we could divide into a "builder" team and a "warmonger" team.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I have never played a succession game before, and I have a bad habit of just lurking in democracy games.

Count me in!

Comment

have a bad habit of just lurking in democracy games
                          /me notes the Gathering Storm shield next to alexman's name.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            You know, if we have enough players, we could divide into a "builder" team and a "warmonger" team.

-Arrian
                            Excellent idea.
                            Let me guess which team you will join...
                            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

I'll get in!
                              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Working...
                              X