Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question, what does PBEM mean? Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question, what does PBEM mean? Thanks!

I can't find it in abbrevations.

Play By E-Mail

Comment

Thanks!

Send one e-mail a day?

But how you trade with each other ?

Comment

Slowly!

Usually players exchange emails directly to agree trades before making an offer in the game.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

That 's queer indeed !

Thank you all very much !

Comment

Originally posted by fanes7
            That 's queer indeed !
            Look, Wittlich was just trying to help. There's no need for name calling...

Comment

Feephi in all fairness, I doubt fanes7 was calling names. Remember he is not a native english speaker and does not live in the US, where we can not use any words that may have more than one possible interretaion.
              So I tend to give people the benefit, until shown they do not deserve it.

Comment

I suppose he wanted to say: "That's odd indeed" or something like that. I don't even know what could "queer" mean otherwise, but I must remember not to use it

fanes7, PBEM is slow indeed, but at least gives you plenty of time to think and plan
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

I have to agree with Fanes7, PBEM is slow.... very slow, but it a great variant to the game... I have had some fun with these games, for as Tiberius said "but at least gives you plenty of time to think and plan"

Hope you get invovled in one soon.
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Actually, I took no offense to fanes7's use of the word since I know he didn't use in a derogatory way - besides, I believe his comment was in response to Cerberus's post, not mine. But thanks for coming to my rescue Feephi.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

We use the term 'queer' in Newfoundland all the time to mean 'strange' or 'odd'. "Now that's a funny queer thing" is a common expression. Anyway, I'm a TEFL teacher and I've heard all kinds of queer and funny things from non-native speakers. Offence is never taken and the mistake is explained to the student. Here are a couple examples:

"what should I say after I sneeze? Blow me?"
                      "Are you hard?" (she meant, "Are you having a hard time?")
                      "Can I ride you?" (Can I give you a lift in my car?)
                      "Long time no come!" (It's been a long time since you've been here)

I make similar mistakes when I speak Korean.
                      Formerly known as Masuro.
                      The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Sorry, it's my fault.

My awful English make trouble, I apologize to Wittlich and CerberusIV for that unhappy thing.

I agree with Anatolia . All world people use English , but the mean of the word is not same. What does the queer mean in US ?

Comment

It means your a Homosexual

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
                            It means your a Homosexual
                            Well I am old enough to remember when it meant odd or strange and not in a sexual connotation. It did have the sexual reference as well, but was not those first thing that came to mind. You can still see that in movies from the early 50's and 40's. Now no one in the US would thing of anything but the sexual reference. So you just don't use the word, as it is meant as a perjoritive now.

Comment

Btw, when you can't find an acronym (such as PBEM) try
                              Acronym Finder is the largest and most trusted database of over 4 million acronyms and abbreviations. What does an abbreviation stands for? The answer is here

PS Yes, I tested it with PBEM and gave me the correct answer
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X