This sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sucks...

Now they have this race-based **** at my school. Blah.

University’s admission policy
    to include consideration of race
    August 28, 2003

AUSTIN, Texas—Effective ways to include race as a factor in selecting applicants for admission are being evaluated by administrators at The University of Texas at Austin, which plans to implement a revised admissions process by fall 2004.

Dr. Bruce Walker, vice provost and director of admissions at the university, said he and Provost Sheldon Ekland-Olson have been working with other university officials for several weeks to develop an admissions process that includes race as a factor. Their plan must undergo reviews by President Larry R. Faulkner, as well as by the University of Texas System’s legal counsel before a final version is submitted to the Board of Regents for its consideration and approval.

“Our mission is to serve the entire state of Texas, and right now we have certain segments of the population that, by all indicators, are underserved,” said Ekland-Olson. “We are looking for all kinds of ways to improve on that and this gives us one more tool to use.”

The fall 2002 freshman class at The University of Texas at Austin included 13.6 percent Hispanics and 3.4 percent African American students. In comparison, the statewide demographic figures show Hispanics are 32 percent of the state population and African Americans are about 11 percent.

Walker said all 15 components in The University of Texas System are required to have plans reviewed by the system prior to implementation of race as a factor in the admissions process. He said the university’s “holistic” review of each applicant takes many factors into consideration in addition to academic strength.

“A comprehensive college education depends on a robust exchange of ideas, exposure to differing cultures, preparing for the challenges of an increasingly diverse workforce and acquiring competencies required of future leaders,” said Walker. “The university handles a very large number of applications and therefore must select from among this highly qualified pool only the number of students it can accommodate. In addition to an assessment of the academic strength of an applicant’s record, admission decisions result from an individualized, holistic review of each applicant. The review takes into consideration the many ways the academically qualified individual might contribute and benefit from, the rich, diverse and challenging educational environment of the university.”

Walker said the Board of Regents’ decision calling for the inclusion of race in the admissions process followed a decision in June by the U.S. Supreme Court upholding the University of Michigan’s use of affirmative action in its admissions process. The court, however, made it clear that race should be only one of several factors used in choosing students for admission.

Walker said The University of Texas at Austin had used race as a factor in its admission process until 1996, when the Fifth Circuit Court’s ruling in the “Hopwood” case abruptly ended the use of race considerations. He said the Hopwood decision caused the university to make major changes in its admission process, such as adding file review to actually read the application files and essays submitted by applicants. Other considerations include leadership, honors, awards, community service and work experience.

The Hopwood ruling and a subsequent attorney general’s ruling prohibiting Texas colleges and universities from considering race in the admissions process had placed the state’s higher education institutions in a competitive disadvantage in trying to recruit qualified minority students because other states were not bound by the court order. Ekland-Olson said the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Michigan case and a recent decision by the Board of Regents to allow the use of race as a factor in the admissions process finally “levels the playing field with the rest of the country.”

“At the undergraduate level, what we are looking at are ways that we can add to the kinds of criteria that we are already using in conjunction with the top 10 percent law to produce the best class that we can that represents the people in Texas whom we need to serve,” Ekland-Olson said.

For more information contact: Dr. Bruce Walker, Office of Admissions, 512-475-7326, or Robert D. Meckel, Office of Public Affairs, 512-475-7847.

All this stuff is theoretical up in Michigan, and wherever, but now that it looks like they'll start letting in underqualified students (academically speaking) to MY school, it really pisses me off. Especially since I've got friends who can't get in here.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

AA sucks...
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Damn, DF, looks like you might have to see a non-caucasian from time to time at school.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I couldn't care less who I see at school, in terms of race. The problem is using race as a factor, rather than solely academics. This is SCHOOL, not sensitivity training, not "make everyone feel good about themselves" time.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

That positive discrimination here is plain racism...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That is indeed bad news. Affirmative action should be punishable by having your pube hairs pulled out one by one. Don't they understand that they break more than they mend.

And I'm not even American.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              AA sucks...
              word
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

AA = reverse racism.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

I couldn't care less who I see at school, in terms of race. The problem is using race as a factor, rather than solely academics. This is SCHOOL, not sensitivity training, not "make everyone feel good about themselves" time.
                  I know that you're aware that racism is alive and well in this country. AA is a means to counter that obstacle.

End the racism, no need for AA.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

AA for private schools only.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I still have yet to see one white person whose life has been destroyed by the terrible ATROCITY of affirmative action...

I don't agree with AA, but at this point, it's better than doing nothing.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If they were honest about giving people who need help a hand they'd have class-based affirmative action and give people from poor families a boost on admissions. But (especially at private schools) that would be damn expansive and its so much easier, cheaper and more superficially diverse to just let in any middle-class minority kids they can get their hands on and give the poor bastards of all ethnicities who were stuck going to **** schools because they're from an area with low property values the shaft...
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I still have yet to see one white person whose life has been destroyed by the terrible ATROCITY of affirmative action...
                          My life hasn't been destroyed but we've hired inferior people for technical positions to fill quotas at work. In my opinion, the only people who lose are the people who hire someone based solely on race, regardless of which they choose. The best person should always be chosen for the job, or for school admissions, or for anything else in life. To do otherwise is ludicrous.

Comment

My life hasn't been destroyed but we've hired inferior people for technical positions to fill quotas at work. In my opinion, the only people who lose are the people who hire someone based solely on race, regardless of which they choose. The best person should always be chosen for the job, or for school admissions, or for anything else in life. To do otherwise is ludicrous.
                            I agree. The best person should get the job. But you know what, every child born in America should have an equal opprotunity in terms of education. But ideals often fall short of reality. I'll make you a deal, we can scrap AA when we equalize education in this country, m'kay?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Replace AA with admissions based on Demographics and not race. In a sense you would just desguise AA, but at least it wouldn't leave people who need help out in the cold.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X