T-Rex vs. Allosaurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Rex vs. Allosaurus

My friends and I have been in an epic arguement as of late, adn I appear to be losing... badly. But I am convinced I am right.

The ttile of this poll is fairly self-explainatory. Who do you think would win in a fair one-on-one fight, T-Rex, or Allosaurus.

I say T-Rex, Just by virtue of sheer size, mass and power. My friends say Allosaurus because he is a known hunter (T-Rex probably could not get over 25 mph o probably only hunted slow stuff when it happened to be convenient, but probably usually scavanged and stole other kills), was very quick, not much smaller, and had usable arms. I say Allosaurus's arms were negligable, sure they were usable, but to what extent? Sharks and snakes dont have arms, but they still kill effectively. Would Allosaurus's somewhat more useful arms really be that much of a difference in the face of The mighty T-Rex's power (this is definately not a biased poll )? Would his increased speed make the difference needed to take down ol' Rex?

The height and weight from various internet and book sources on the creatures are in dispute of exact figures, but we all agreed Rex had a good size advantage to Allosaurus and also had a speed and arm handicap when against his smaller cousin.

So who do you, the Apolyton community think would win? I come to you for your opinion, cause right now im losing like 7 votes to 1 in the people Ive asked around me. The confidence in my choice is failing, but what if all the peope around me are just dumb? Perhaps I am wrong... and even if all you guys say Allosaurus, I probably still wont change my mind... but we shall see.
    Im curious to what yall think on the matter, and what your reasoning on it is. I am by no means a dino-expert, it was a huge childhood interest of mine. but im pretty rusty on any finds and new theories past 1990. So Im sure many of yall could enlighten me on the subject.

Thanks

Kman
    T-Rex would wipe the floor with Allosaurus
    44.44%
    Allosaurus would take Rex down anyday
    19.44%
    It would be really close... could go either way
    11.11%
    BANANASAUR REIGNS SUPREME! :evil:
    25.00%
    "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
    - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
    Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

I am one of these so-called dumb friends of Kman. I think he's placing far to much emphasis on our arm argument, but to me that's only a slight edge to the Allosaurus. It's the quick speed of the more nimble allosaurus and its incredible jaws, which could expand like a snake's and take 100 pound chunks out of another dinosaur, that make it the better.

The sheer size, as it was put by Kman, of the T. Rex really matters not in my opinion. Its slow reflexes could do nothing to avoid the severe wounds that the allosaurus could make. Also, these slow reflexes prevent the massive carnisaur from overwhelming the allosaur with its own attacks. The simplest way to put my reasoning is that the allosaur can attack many times without retaliation from a slower T. Rex.

The way I imagine the fight is that of the allosaur charging with its greater speed and leaping at the side of the Tyrannosaur, thus more than likely taking both of the beasts to the ground. But the more agile allosaurus would be first to get to its feet, if it even fell in the first place, and tear the larger dinosaur apart. (This is where the weak arms of the Rex disable him.)

Anyways, GO ALLOSAURUS!
    Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail. Once you provoke her, rattling of her tail.
    Never begins it, never, but once engaged. Never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage.
    -Metallica, 'Don't Tread On Me'

Comment

With hit-and-run tactics, the Allosaurus would probably be able to win. Its faster speed would also mean that any 'battles' would take place on its terms, not the T-Rex's.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I remember having the same discussions- when I was 9

I always rooted for the allosourus when I was a kid

Comment

As it still isn´t clear if Tyrannosauridae were Predators or "just" Scavengers (and there are some evidences which point into the Direction of Scavenger), I´d think that Allosaurus would win.

Allosaurii were intelligent, faster than T-Rex and were used to attacking other Saurian Species (which isn´t the case, if T-Rex isn´t also a Preator), whereas T-Rex has a large Olfactory Lobe (and so can receive even slightest Traces of odor) and a powerful bite.
          I think, Alosaurus would have to make use of its Intelligence and greatr Agility to avoid the Bite and wear the T-Rex down by constantly attacking and then retreating out of the Range of its Bite, to avoid the Counterattack.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go for Size over Finnese. The Allosaurus darts in, rips off a mighty hunk of disgusting flesh, and gets body-checked by the mass of the T-Rex reacting to the blow. If he doesn't collect himself in time, the T-Rex then has his say with those jaws of his (Which I will assume for a moment are not weak scavenger jaws).

Now, make it a pack, and we've got a different story.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I doubt Allosaur would even challenge T-Rex to a fight, that ought to give us our answer. And why should it, with speed it can simply avoid T-Rex. With greater speed comes lighter weight and bones which means greater fragility. We can see by watching fleet footed predators today like the Cheetah that they avoid stronger anmals, even non-predators, these kinds of animals can suffer injury much too easily in such a fight and they know how important their agility is so they try to take care of themselves more than the bigger bruisers. How about Triceratops and T-Rex? Now there's a fight waiting to happen, but maybe T-Rex's avoided them since it could certainly take on something without deadly horns. And it looks like these big predators were not adept at attacking the big veggies like Brontosaurs, these guys had whips for tails and could stand back and slash even T-Rex's long before they could get close enough. The T-Rex is akin to male lions and Allosaur is like the Leopard or Cheetah, no contest - T-Rex.

Comment

If you're going to be coldly logical, Berz, there's a much better reason they wouldn't fight. Carnivore meat is pretty terrible to eat, generally. There's a reason that we eat nice herbivore cows, and not lions.
                All syllogisms have three parts.
                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

There is also the slight problem that the two species probably didn't coexist. The fossil record isn't complete enough to be sure but it seems that Allosaurs died out before T-Rex came along.

If they did ever argue then T-Rex comes out on top. If it was a scavenger the advantage of size is being able to intimidate and drive everything else away from a carcass. Lions, sharks, etc. the biggest ones generally get to eat first at a kill.

There are claims that T-Rex and a similar South American species did live in packs, based on isolated mass death sites, but not enough is known to be conclusive.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Snow, they wouldn't have to fight to eat each other, many predators will fight over other things. Lions and Hyenas are constantly fighting over turf and kills, but Cheetahs will almost always leave a kill when confronted with a scavenger like a Hyena because they can't afford to get hurt. I'm sure Allosaurs were relatively much more durable than Cheetahs, but lighter built animals will usually leave when biggers ones arrive. Animals that rely on superior speed seem to understand how important it is to avoid fights and I'm sure Allosaurs were in that category.

Comment

How many solid bites would it take for T-Rex to kill Allosaur and how many bites would it take for Allosaur to kill T-Rex?

Answers:

Don't matter, T-Rex would be flossing his teeth with Allosaur's entrails.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                        I'm afraid I'm going to have to go for Size over Finnese. The Allosaurus darts in, rips off a mighty hunk of disgusting flesh, and gets body-checked by the mass of the T-Rex reacting to the blow. If he doesn't collect himself in time, the T-Rex then has his say with those jaws of his (Which I will assume for a moment are not weak scavenger jaws).

Now, make it a pack, and we've got a different story.
                        Thats what I was saying! He also had a larger, longer tail (i assume anyway) that he could use to whip at the allosuarus if it gets behind and also as a "pole arm" of sorts to keep a guerrilla Allosaurus at bay.

I also made the comparison of TRex to male lions and Allosaurus to lighter, faster cfats as well, but my friends disagreed. Come on people.... T-Rex is the man
                        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

They wipe each other out and this little furry thing that looks like a cross between a mouse and a lemur takes over.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I'd say since T-rex lived millions of years after allosauris, that T-rex wins against allorausis' moldering corpse.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

T&he Allosaurus doesn´t need to bite the T-Rex,
                              he has also razorsharp Claws, with which he can wound the T-Rex.
                              So he could come in from behind, wound T-Rex with his Claws and hopefully be out of the Range of T-Rex as soon as he locates his Enemy and tries to Counterattack.

One Wound wouldn´t kill T-Rex, but if Allosaurus repeatedly attacks and hen avoids him, T-Rex would get weaker and weaker (after all, you must also take into acount, that T-Rex constantly looses Blood from the already existing wound and therefore would probably get weakened more by the wounds, then Allosaurus gets weakened by Atacking and avoiding T-Rex).

Of course, as soon as Allosaurus gets bitten by T-Rex, te Game is over for him, so he must be very carefully and make good use of his minor size and greater Agility.
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X