No announcement yet.

T-Rex vs. Allosaurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think T-Rex's tail would prevent hit-n-run attacks by Allosaurus. Admittedly, it's really hard to say given that we don't know much about movement or reaction speeds of these creatures.

I recently read an article which stated that the larger dinosaurs like T-Rex were nowhere near as fast as most think, and in fact may not have been able to run at all! The author had modeled the physics involved, and reached the conclusion that their leg bones could simply not withstand the stress of the impact loading of so much mass at any kind of speed.
    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I think the Star Trek Federation would win.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
        I doubt Allosaur would even challenge T-Rex to a fight, that ought to give us our answer. And why should it, with speed it can simply avoid T-Rex. With greater speed comes lighter weight and bones which means greater fragility. We can see by watching fleet footed predators today like the Cheetah that they avoid stronger anmals, even non-predators, these kinds of animals can suffer injury much too easily in such a fight and they know how important their agility is so they try to take care of themselves more than the bigger bruisers. How about Triceratops and T-Rex? Now there's a fight waiting to happen, but maybe T-Rex's avoided them since it could certainly take on something without deadly horns. And it looks like these big predators were not adept at attacking the big veggies like Brontosaurs, these guys had whips for tails and could stand back and slash even T-Rex's long before they could get close enough. The T-Rex is akin to male lions and Allosaur is like the Leopard or Cheetah, no contest - T-Rex.
        The comparison between cheetahs and lions is not accurate to this situation. Lions must be like 3 times more powerful than a cheetah, maybe more, whereas a T. Rex is not only 1.5 times larger than an allosaur and a similar ratio probably exists between their strengths. I'll admit that a Rex is stronger than big Al, but most people aren't realizing that an allosaur is really powerful itself and, when it lived, was capable at taking down dinosaurs even larger than a Rex. To me the size difference isn't enough to give the Rex the edge.
        Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail. Once you provoke her, rattling of her tail.
        Never begins it, never, but once engaged. Never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage.
        -Metallica, 'Don't Tread On Me'

Comment

I'd like to make a few things clear. Kman said in the first post that it was 7-to-1, but in fact it's 9-to-1 prior to this thread, so the allosaurus should have 8 votes added to it.

Also, this is a hypothetical post, don't argue that the two dinos would never have fought.

And finally, stop voting for Bananasaurus, Those are potential allosaur votes.
          Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail. Once you provoke her, rattling of her tail.
          Never begins it, never, but once engaged. Never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
            There is also the slight problem that the two species probably didn't coexist. The fossil record isn't complete enough to be sure but it seems that Allosaurs died out before T-Rex came along.

If they did ever argue then T-Rex comes out on top. If it was a scavenger the advantage of size is being able to intimidate and drive everything else away from a carcass. Lions, sharks, etc. the biggest ones generally get to eat first at a kill.

There are claims that T-Rex and a similar South American species did live in packs, based on isolated mass death sites, but not enough is known to be conclusive.
            Intimidation should not be a factor in this situation. Both dinosaurs are gonna fight each other, they don't need to be intimidated and scared away.

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
              I think T-Rex's tail would prevent hit-n-run attacks by Allosaurus. Admittedly, it's really hard to say given that we don't know much about movement or reaction speeds of these creatures.

I recently read an article which stated that the larger dinosaurs like T-Rex were nowhere near as fast as most think, and in fact may not have been able to run at all! The author had modeled the physics involved, and reached the conclusion that their leg bones could simply not withstand the stress of the impact loading of so much mass at any kind of speed.

T-Rex's tail is used for balance and certainly not for fighting; It's not quite possible that a T-Rex would be able to knock the Allosaurus down with his tail, you'd need a much larger and longer tail for that.

I think it would be a tough battle though, and impossible to predict because we don't know how exactly they moved. T-Rex was sluggish and heavy, but so was the Allosaurus... If you want real agile and fast hunters you are looking for the Deinonychus or Velocirapter and the like but they can't take on a big animal alone in a 1v1, no matter how fast the prey is, it would just run away anyway which is why a T-Rex can never take on small, fast preys. Due to his size he needs to kill big prey to still his appetite so he won't bother wasting energy on small creatures (hunting requires an enormous amount of energy!)

I think it could go either way..
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Allosaurus was not sluggish. Some sources say he was an agile hunter that could run great speeds and even leap on its prey, somewhat like a large raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikarus
                  And finally, stop voting for Bananasaurus, Those are potential allosaur votes.
                  YOU DARE QUESTION THE BANANA OPTION!!!

Death to the newbie!

It could go either way, depending on how it begun, and who got the best big attack in first.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

HEY! I'm not a newbie.

Comment

YOU DARE QUESTION THE BANANA OPTION!!!

Death to the newbie!
                      thank you... he had the nerve to make fun of the option thinking it stupid and childish... he just doesnt understand tho
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Ikarus
                        HEY! I'm not a newbie.

First symptom of being a newbi is denial.
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

alright

Comment

What's the second symptom?

I said Allesaurus would win.

Comment

even if drunk, T-Rex would win.
                              justice is might

Comment

I think it is too close to call, both were expert hunters and lived in small groups. They both could run at about 40 mph, but Allosaurus was smaller, hence could change velocity faster than T-rex. T-rex, though, was stronger.

Large theropods were not sluggish and T-rex hunted a lot more then it scavenged!

Comment

Working...
                                X