• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Bronson, Dead At Eighty-One.

I had no idea he was that old.

Action Star Charles Bronson Dies at 81
    Sun Aug 31,10:25 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Charles Bronson (news), the Pennsylvania coal miner who drifted into films as a villain and became a hard-faced action star, notably in the popular "Death Wish" vengeance movies, has died. He was 81.

AP Photo

Reuters

Bronson died Saturday of pneumonia at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his wife at his bedside, publicist Lori Jonas said. He had been in the hospital for weeks, Jonas said.

During the height of his career, Bronson was hugely popular in Europe; the French knew him as "le sacre monstre" (the sacred monster), the Italians as "Il Brutto" (the brute). In 1971, he was presented a Golden Globe as "the most popular actor in the world."

Like Clint Eastwood (news), whose spaghetti westerns won him stardom, Bronson had to make European films to prove his worth as a star. He left a featured-role career in Hollywood to play leads in films made in France, Italy and Spain. His blunt manner, powerful build and air of danger made him the most popular actor in those countries.

At age 50, he returned to Hollywood a star.

In a 1971 interview, he theorized on why the journey had taken him so long:

"Maybe I'm too masculine. Casting directors cast in their own, or an idealized image. Maybe I don't look like anybody's ideal."

His early life gave no indication of his later fame. He was born Charles Bunchinsky on Nov. 3, 1921 (not 1922, as studio biographies claimed) in Ehrenfeld, Pa. He was the 11th of 15 children of a coal miner and his wife, both Lithuanian immigrants.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

He was 81?????????

I also didn't know about his European movies either.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I haven't seen to many of his movies

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I watched Once a time in the West, just last night. Good western. I actually had the thought while watching it, I wonder if Charles B is still alive.
        Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Once Upon A Time in the West is one of the best westerns ever
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

i second that ...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yeah i'd never seen in before but was impressed. Held me until 12.40 which is a late night for me. I had to look at the t.v guide to find out who the woman was. hawt.

Comment

Yeah she is smokin

I liked how they hardly even used much dialog

Comment

Why talk, when you can play a cool tune on the Harmonica and get 15 minute close ups of squinted eyes.

Comment

Hell yeah

Maybe I'll rent that tomorrow

Comment

The King is dead....

Thanks for all the memories....

A great actor!
                      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

there is no reason to be sad, he was very old

it's the first celebrity's death in years that I actually care about

rest in peace

Comment

I'm renting 'the Mechanic' in honour of him.
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            Yeah she is smokin
                            You like 70 year old women Ted?
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

if they look like that

Comment

Working...
                              X