Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you define yourself?

You can define yourself in this thread.

But what I'd also like to know is your opinions, how to define yourself, who you are. Is it what you do? Is it what you say? Is it what you did? Is it what you said? Or is it a combination of all these, and if so, how does one get the proper ratio for how much one and how much the other?

or is it what other people sees you and what they say about you? Maybe you can't sometimes see yourself, and truth comes out of non biased observers?
    What if people you know ALL define you differently, and sometimes says the opposites?

Is it the values you hold, is it your personality? How do you know what your personality is like? What it's really like, and not what I would like it to be?

Or if I really want it to be something, then is it really like that even if it doesn't show to others?
    If someone asks you 'who are you?' and not wanting just your name, but who you are. What do you say? Except your name and possibly what you do?

Is there one simple answer, or is this one of those questions you can never answer fully?

I just thought of the question, who am I, looking at mirror. Putting aside the obvious, sexy beast, I came up with ... nothing. Not a single thing came to my mind. How does one get to know themselves? And no, I'm not in touch with my feelings so you take that crap out of me right from the beginning . It's no problem, I was just wondering.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

OK I'll give you an example.

I was thinking the character of the man I was looking in the mirror. I flirted with some words.. but couldn't agree with any one of them. I flirted with some negative words, and again, I couldn't get anything. Like 'Greedy'.
    I thought that I should be thankful for everything I have, and that I'm healthy and live in safety. But then again, I want expensive nice things like.. Lexus maybe, nice big house, to be succesfull in EVERYTHING I do, I want to do better than any of my friends (though I want them to do good as well). I want to have a big pool, damn I want so much cash that I think nothing would ever be enough for me. Once I get a nice thing like a big house, I'm always looking for more, more and more. If I was given 10 million, I'd be happy about it, but it wouldn't be enough.
    So, greedy. Or am I ambitious? I like succeeding, I love it just because of the feeling of success. I just set high standards.. what's wrong with that.. I'm just ambitious.
    Or am I? Or am I perfectionist? Nah, that I am definitely not. And the thing is.. if I fail to get those things, do I get POd about it? Absolutely!

You see, it is hard for one to define themselves .

It's like the bible.. people see it as a good book, some people see it as not so good book. Some people can find good stuff in it, some people find the bad stuff in it. And then the rest argue with all the controversiality in it.
    And it is controversial, and it has to be interpreted sometimes if you're looking for answers. But the book doesn't know it.. it's the people who argue about it.

I mean, mafiosos think they are good people, or at least most of them. Deep down inside.. they're still good folks, decent people. Forget about the crimes like murdering people, they're good guys. I bet that's what they think.
    Is it true then?

And what's real in it anyway? If I speak good words and I'd like to believe the good things I say, preach or what ever, then what about if I deep down don't believe it? Or what if I start to believing in it after a while, am I that person then, or does history judge me? Does it judge me, if no one wrote about it? Is it all make belief, or is it something we can call real? Let's say someone comes to talk to me, and I say 'that's interesting' and smile, even though I couldn't care less. Does that make me a bastard? Naturally not a bastard because I can't be interested in everything, but you get what I mean?

The point is, do you just read the words that could define your personality, and go with what you like and then try to be them, ultimately being them? Or do you really recognize 'yes that is me'? If first option was yes, then isn't it just fooling yourself, and make belief? If the latter, then how do you know? You assume you know it when it comes to other people than you, but when it comes to yourself, how do you go with that? Or is it possible to be stuck in the middle with the whole mixture of things, that you can't really say anything about yourself other than what you do and what your name is?

I can say what I was 10 years ago, 5 years ago and 2 years ago. It has changed in time. But do I have to wait another 2 years, so I can look back to say what I was now?

Ok I'm tired, I didn't sleep last night a single minute. I guess I'll just hit the bed..
    Last edited by Pekka; August 23, 2003, 05:55.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Im a mixture of at least 4 ways. Dont know if it works in everybody like that. Everytime I have to make a choice or form an opinion, I do a very fast argueing with myself. There is 2 rationals and 2 emotionals. One of each is rather negative the other positive (for example the rational negative me is argueing "realisticly seen she is only playing with you" while the positive rational me is pointing at hints that she really likes me ... you cant really describe the emotional ones, but goes in some similar fashion). Most of the time some mixture is the result, sometimes one side wins...
      So... I have very few unchangeable princibles. Guess thats called pragmatic then, hu?
      If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

I'm Mark. Hello
        (As close as I'm ever gonna get to a definition )
        Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

[ted striker] i'm a baz azz mother****er [/ted striker]
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'm Homo Sapien Sapien.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I build stuff.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

When I think about myself on the forums, I use the name skywalker in my head

Comment

<------ bad azz
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If I had to write something on my T-shirt, it'd be something like: KILL ME PLEASE. But painlessly.
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Kind of reminds me what Tony Sopranos mom said all the time in Sopranos.. 'I wish the lord would take me now'
                      In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                      X