Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Football Draft Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Fantasy Football Draft Review...

West Side Thugs - Supersneak

QB - D. Bledsoe (5) OK...this guy put up stupendous first half stats last year. They've shored up the D and Henry and the receiving corps should keep the O moving right along. If Bledsoe's #'s fade down the stretch, I'll put someone else in...but he's a solid, seasoned pro.

RB - A. Green (2) Green Bay has a schedule made out of cake this year. If Green can stay on the field, his TD's should easily hit the double digits. I believe he'll be a top 5 back if he stays healthy.

RB - S. Davis (3) Another potential monster back, if health stays good. Sure, people are going to stack the box, blah blah blah, but Davis is a grinder and he'll also get the goal line touches this year. I also think he'll be much more valuable then where he was placed in most drafts.

WR - M. Harrison (1) This guy is the stud of stud WR's. As solid and consistent as any WR has ever been. And I think the Colts could potentially be huge this year. Reismark and I might have to pull some huge trade so one of us can have both guys on the same team...hmmmm...he needs WR's too....

WR - A. Toomer (4) Another durable and consistent WR, who is still pretty young and in his prime. I think I may have the best WR corps in the league, at least.

WR - C. Johnson (6) He really showed flashes of brilliance last year and is in that wondrous stage of WR breakout potential. If he gets his game on along with Harrison and Toomer, mediocre efforts in other areas will be survivable.

TE - C. Fauria (11) Not much to write home about, but he posted huge TD #'s for a TE last year...just give me 6 points a game, baby.

K - D. Akers (10) The best kicker out there, and I have a feeling the Eagles will be just shy of the red zone a lot this year, as soon as McNabb goes down (and he will).

DEF - Tennessee (8) Nothing spectacular, but a very good, dependable, week in, week out defense.

Bench - J. Stewart / RB (7) Probably first among #3 RB's. Come on WC offense!

Bench - T. Maddox / QB (9) He was a stud until he got hurt last year...with Drew's late fades, that's just enough time to get rolling for the second half of the season.

Bench - M. Boerigter / WR (12) One of my sleepers...this guy had a ton of red zone TD's last year (8)...if he picks up on yardage and is as good as he seems (better than Morton?) he could be KC's #1 guy before too long.

Bench - N. Davenport / RB (13) Handcuffed to Green and a pretty good replacement in that offense even if Green goes down.

Bench - D. Foster / RB (14) Ditto...we'll see if that knee is any good...probably when Davis goes down...Foster is a real tragedy...had signs of greatness before his injury last year.

Bench - M. Ricks / TE (15) This guy could really thrive in Mooch's offense...plus, Harrington will be scrambling his ass off, looking for anyone tall to bail him out.

Bench - Seattle / DEF (16) I think Seattle is looking very tough this year...could end up as my starting D before too long.
    Life and death is a grave matter;
    all things pass quickly away.
    Each of you must be completely alert;
    never neglectful, never indulgent.

The Kyrandia Dragonhawks

QB - P. Manning (2) Good god, was this a steal considering where I got the guy. Peyton and his 4,000+ yards should have gone in the first round. To get him in the second, and *late* in the round, is a coup. He's durable and dependable, and with James finally getting back to full speed, the Colts' offense should be more dangerous than ever.

RB - S. Alexander (1) The logic behind this pick: He's a potential #1 back, he scored a lot last year despite struggling in the early going, he's on one of the league's most stacked offense, and his schedule is chock-full of run-weak and overall-weak teams, especially towards the end. Now if only Walter Jones would sign, there'd be no problems...

RB - W. Green (5) If the second half of last season was any indication, Green is destined for great things. He's got all the speed and talent a running back could ask for, and he's only going to get better as he keeps learning. My only worry is that Davis' decision of Pass-Happy Holcomb will limit his reps somewhat, but it's a minor worry.

WR - J. Horn (3) Had him targeted as my #1 wideout all along. I like to think of him as the "Quiet Storm" - he's going to get a lot of yards, and a lot of touchdowns, but he'll do it in a quiet way that usually results in people looking past him. All the pressure is on Haslett this year, and Joe will do his usual great work in the shadows.

WR - J. Galloway (6) I wanted Chad Johnson here, and I figured that Cincinnati's reputation would lead to people overlooking him, but that bastard Sneak foiled my plans! Anywho... Galloway will get his stats simply because he's the best Tuna has. (What, you think Antonio Bryant is going to be great now, or that Parcells will give Glenn a chance?)

WR - A. Johnson (7) This was the only real risk pick of my draft, but I think it will pay off. Johnson comes to Houston already the man as far as the wideouts are concerned, and Carr should have more time to find him because of a better running back (Mack has the potential to be a top guy, IMO) and a O-line that can't be any worse than last year.

TE - J. Shockey (4) Two reasons I had to have this guy: 1) Ability. The man became the top tight end in the NFL in his rookie season, and was probably the one draftee who had the biggest impact on his team. That's only gonna get better. 2) Desire. Look how sitting out of practice this week has frustrated him. This dude is *hungry*. Sorry, Chris - he's mine.

K - O. Mare (13) An accurate, productive player who's due to bounce back from an off year. The only thing that worries me is that he has to get used to working with a new long snapper (his longtime one suffered a year-ending injury) and as we saw in the Giants/49ers playoff game, that can be a crucial factor. The great ones overcome it, though.

DEF - Carolina (8) Easily the biggest steal of my draft. There's no way in hell in my mind defenses like Dallas (overpressured), Green Bay (suspect), and the Giants (wearing down) should have gone before last year's #2. The loss of Del Rio won't hurt them because John Fox is still the coach, and any improvement on offense will only make them more effective.

Bench - C. Buckhalter/RB (9) Thanks to Staley being one of the biggest idiots on the planet, this becomes a great pick rather than just a good one since Correll'll probably start. The injury doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, either.

Bench - M. Muhammad/WR (10) Had an off year last year because of Carolina's offensive troubles, but should bounce back now that Davis is there to provide some balance. Could end up starting at some point in my mind, too.

Bench - K. Stewart/QB (11) Another guy I'm looking for a bounce-back year from. The good news is that he's an every other year guy, and last year was a bad one. The critics may yet be eating their words by the end of the season.

Bench - B. Finneran/WR (12) A great pick as a fifth player, and like Muhammad, a potential starter, especially if Price's presence doesn't take away his chances as much as the pundits think it will. Big guys get opportunities.

Bench - Washington/DEF (14) Relatively solid backup pick on defense, and has the potential to be dominant, especially if the second year of the Fun & Gun experiment is the one where it finally catches on.

Bench - S. Alexander/TE (15) A huge late steal. San Diego's offense uses the TE a lot, and when this guy is on, he's one of the league's most productive TEs. The question is, will his body let him? I sure hope so...

Bench - J. Jurevicius/WR (16) My mandatory Bucs pick is another steal. (I would have taken Pittman, but Berz foiled me.) Off-season promises of bigger involvement have me licking my chops in anticipation - in more ways than one.

I would appreciate some comments on my team, for my website...
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Who did I pick again? Oh yea (I had to click on Yahoo to actually find out )...

QB - Trent Green - Nice pick in the later rounds. This year I went for the QB late strategy that I picked up from a fantasy site, and it REALLY worked out. Green has been putting up very nice numbers in KC.

RB - Clinton Portis - EIGHTH?! This guy could be a #1 pick caliber RB. Incredible that he fell into my lap and I didn't have to even think about grabbing him there .

RB - Fred Taylor - If healthy he's work the high pick. Had a very nice year last year. IF healthy, though.

WR - Eric Moulds - Bumping up against the Big 3 (Harrison, Owens, Moss) with his great last season. Even though Peerless is gone, he won't miss a beat with a burner like Josh Reed on the other side (who'll be a great sleeper, btw). Buffalo likes to throw, he'll get around his 100 catches again.

WR - David Boston - Even though he goes to a running-first team, he will definetly get his catches in. He becomes Brees' first option and what an option it is. He's bulked up, so he's even bigger, fast, and has great hands.

WR - Ron Gardner - Washington has to get its QB situation sorted out, but Gardner will get his. Him and Coles are #1 and #1A recievers on this team and both are very talented. Gardner is stronger, though and will probably get more goal line catches because of it.

TE - Randy McMichael - Flourished with Fiedler. As long as Jay is healthy he'll put up good numbers.

K - Jason Elam - GREAT leg, and kicking in the sparse air at Denver for half of his games, he'll kick ass .

DEF - Atlanta - underrated D that has upgraded its secondary to become a Top 5 group. Great LBs and Line will get plenty of sacks.

Bench - Troy Hambrick - Starter in Dallas, WILL get 1000 yards (but not much more). Solid 3rd back.

Bench - Quincy Morgan - The best reciever on the Browns will have a MUCH better year with Holcomb as the starter (thank you Butch Davis ).

Bench - Jay Fiedler - Solid Backup QB who won't put up eye popping numbers, but will get the job done.

Bench - Ashley Lelie - My sleeper. The 3rd reciever on the Broncos, but may take over McCaffery's spot soon enough. Gots incredible SPEED.

Bench - James Thrash - Solid 5th (or 6th) WR. Will get 800 yards and 5 TDs, and make plenty of points.

Bench - Adrian Peterson - Backup to Anthony Thomas in Chicago. May take over the job, but basically just a brainfart pick by me.

Bench - St. Louis - Very underrated D. Has very high sacks and INTs.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The rest of you mugs gonna contribute your scintillating intellects to the discussion of how/why we picked who we did?
        Life and death is a grave matter;
        all things pass quickly away.
        Each of you must be completely alert;
        never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

No, that would mean I actually thought about my picks and those thoughts couldn't fill a post I'd have to go see who I picked and that means signing out at yahoo and signing back in. Damn, should have used the same ID at yahoo for baseball and football...

Comment

Alright, I went and got my picks, and why not, I'm just watching the game on Fox anyway.

Pennington, Chad (QB-NYJ) - Got him late in the draft, I think the 5th or 6th round so I'm happy. One of the top 5-6 QB's in the league IMO...

Price, Peerless (WR-Atl) - Seemed like a good pick until Vick went down, but I'm hoping the less mobile QB replacing Vick will sit in the pocket more and rely on Peerless.

Bruce, Isaac (WR-StL) - I expect Warner to rebound and Isaac's numbers should rebound with him.

McCaffrey, Ed (WR-Den) - Injuries slowed him last year and a new QB in Denver doesn't bode well, but Ed should put up decent numbers if age hasn't caught up with him. Not a bad pick considering I got him near the end of the draft.

Holmes, Priest (RB-KC) - What can I say, I was quite happy to get the #1 rated RB especially with ~6 people ahead of me. He put up monster numbers last year, but an injury and I suspect a less productive KC offense should reduce his output, but who knows.

Pittman, Michael (RB-TB) - Just a starting RB taken late in the draft.

Wycheck, Frank (TE-Ten) - Will age slow this veteran? He's certainly capable of good numbers and McNair likes throwing to him. Not a bad pick given how TE's usually go late and the best 3-4 were already gone.

Culpepper, Daunte (QB-Min) - Actually my first QB taken in the 2nd round. Was last year indicative of Daunte's future? Nah, he will rebound and when he does, his rushing and passing should produce plenty of points. And platooning him with Chad will allow me to select which opponent for the week will give up the most yards and TD's. Having 2 good to great QB's is a major plus...

Staley, Duce (RB-Phi) RB - All-around yardage producer, now get in camp dammit or you'll be on the bench the first week.

Smith, Jimmy (WR-Jac) - *sigh* Suspended for 4 games for exercising his freedom, i.e., "substance abuse". But with the top WRs already taken, Jimmy will do just fine, let's just hope Brunell does too...

Shipp, Marcel (RB-Ari) - I don't know why, I figure a lackluster Ariz passing game and a big offensive line means lots of running. We'll just have to see how much Emmitt gets the ball...

Williams, Moe (RB-Min) - BAPAY, but a goal line RB so he should get me some TD's if he plays. Unless injuries deplete my RBs, I'll probably drop him for someone else.

McCardell, Keenan (WR-TB) - My late choice to replace Jimmy Smith during his suspension. Maybe he'll be a big producer, maybe not, all depends on the TB passing game. At least the TB "D" should give the offense a bigger share of time of possession.

K Janikowski, Sebastian (K-Oak) - Very good kicker on a high powered offense should get me my share of PATs and FGs.

DEF

Indianapolis - We'll see how another year under Tony Dungy (the guy mostly responsible for that defense in Tampa) does for the Colts. They were 8th in "D" last year so I expect them to improve on that, especially with Dwight Freeney getting the start on the line.

New York Giants - Not sure why I took them, other "D"s I wanted were taken and the NYG should help in selected games. Of course, with 2 defenses I can at least take the one facing the weakest offense for that week.

Comment

I'm not going to justify every pick, or try to that is.

Garner and Barber are potential 2000 combined yardage each.
              Good enough for me.

Kurt Warner in the late 3rd round was a no-brainer.

Pittsburgh always has a decent defense.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

QB - K. Holcomb (CLE) (15): I had the good fortune of being able to select him so late in the draft after the bad fortune of losing Vick. The Browns have a potent offense, so I hope he'll get some good balls in.

RB - R. Williams (MIA) (1): this guy is the Miami Dolphins offense.

RB - E. James (IND) (3): hopefully he's recovered well enough to shine again, but even if he doesn't get the big numbers this season, he'll be good value for a third round pick.

WR - K. Robinson (SEA) (4): talented young wideout playing in a well-rounded offense. He was one of the best receivers in the second half of the season. Obviously I hope he continues that trend.

WR - D. Mason (TEN) (5): this guy is by far Steve McNair's favorite target, with a possibility of getting 1,300 reception yards. I just hope he stays healthy.

WR - T. Taylor (BAL) (8): one of the last #1 WRs left on the board in R8. Taylor plays in a modest offense, but is solid.

TE - D. Jolley (OAK) (13): I'm lining Jolley up as the starter until I have a clearer view of Franks' role with the Packers now that they signed Walls. As a second-year player, I expect Jolley to get a fair amount of receptions in a pass-horny offense.

K - J. Feely (ATL) (11): I hope his performance isn't negatively affected by Vick's absence, but he should still be solid.
                And he kicks indoors.

DEF - Philadelphia (7): some of the recent injuries have me mildly worried, but I have faith in Jim Johnson and the Philadelphia roster that has shown great depth.

Bench - M. Vick / QB (2): I was ecstatic when I was able to get my hands on "Ricky and Micky", but Vick's injury hugely diminishes that feeling of course.
                [terminator]He'll be back.[/terminator]

Bench - J. Kitna / QB (CIN) (10): since defensive fark-ups don't count towards the QB's weekly score, this guy isn't that bad a pick. The Bengals don't have a bad offense, and he could give me good numbers when needed.

Bench - A. Smith / RB (NE) (9): Needed a backup RB, this guy's decent, but I'm not sure if he'll get the starting job.

Bench - K. Faulk / RB (NE) (14): Needed a backup RB, this guy's decent, but I'm not sure if he'll get the starting job.

Bench - R. Wayne / WR (IND) (12): with Harrison and James demanding special attention, this man could make some big plays.
                At least I hope so.

Bench - D. Northcutt / WR (16): had some very good games last season, but also some where he's been absolute rubbish.

Bench - B. Franks / TE (GB) (6): I drafted him before Green Bay signed Wesley Walls.
                Bastards.

Now I hope that, after this long post, Apolyton isn't suddenly down.

Comment

Damn.. in today's game Travis Henry went down with an injury. Hopefully it isn't too serious for whoever's got him .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He's faking. Trying to get out of work.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

hmm I'll have to check my rosters, I'll get back to you

Comment

my picks (in order)

QB: Rich Gannon: he was my #1 pick. It was a flip between him and Priest Holmes. And I really did flip a coin. I told myself I wouldn't draft a QB the first round, but I did. Because it seems like all you guys always draft running backs early, and I wind up with ****. And the same thing seems to have happened this year. Rich Gannon is getting old, and I'm worried that Oakland will implode this year because of last years superbowl failure. But I was also worried about Priest Holmes injury. I had trouble finding any good news about it on the internet. although the training camp video I saw showed him doing near full speed runs.

RB: Jamal Lewis. See what I'm saying about lack of good running backs. I really don't like him that much, but the other guys available at the time didn't look like they could do better than him.

RB: Emitt Smith. Yes I drafted him too high. I wasn't sure if there was someone else thinking like I was and maybe thought he would put up good numbers this year. I figure with a new team, and the fact Emitt still seems to want to prove something, and the fact Arizona lost their star QB and is going to rely on the run a lot this year. I figured a workhorse like Emitt would do good. But I'm worried about injuries.

WR- Marty Booker- a solid wide receiver. But there is uncertainty if Kordell plays. As Kordell may not connect with him as much as other QB's did. I had him when Jim Miller was hot a couple of years ago. Jim Miller loved to throw touchdown passes to Marty Booker. But I think the other wide recievers left available at the time also had uncertainties about them. Most wide receivers do except maybe Marvin Harrison.

WR: Lavernious Coles. He did a team change from NY Jets to Washington. So there was uncertainty with this WR as well. I figure Washington can't be as bad as last year . And they don't have that many other good WR's to pass to.

Defense: Tampa Bay- I just wanted to take a chance here. I wasn't sure how much longer Tampa Bay would last. And I just wanted Tampa Bay just to say I have Tampa Bay. I've always loved their defense. They've always been one of my favourite teams- and they are my favourite NFC team (Denver is my overall favourite team)

WR- Troy Brown. I don't like his attitude. But he puts up good numbers. Even last year he had pretty good numbers. His numbers stood above the other's numbers that were still out there. He had a lot of catches- which shows potential to put out at least consistant numbers.

RB- Stacey Mack- backups RB's were going fast in the draft. I was going to take a kicker and TE to finish up my starting lineup. But I figured I better get another running back since I took a chance with Emitt Smith. I need something in case Emitt doesn't work out. I liked his work with Jacksonville. He was mostly used in short yardage and goal line situations though. I'm not sure how he'll perform as a starting RB. But I figure Houston still has some uncertainty in their passing game, and will still go for a strong runnning game. He should get plenty of carries. I didn't check his bye week though- it does conflict with one of my starting RB's.

QB- Tom Brady- backup QB's were going in the draft at this point. So I figured I better pickup another decent QB in case Rich Gannon does faulter due to my earlier fear of an Oakland implosion or just old age. He has excellent numbers, and I was suprised to see him still out there. Perhaps people were reluctant because he didn't do as well last year as he did the year before. But he still had excellent number of touchdown throws, and I figure NE won't do as bad as they did last year.

TE- Marcus Pollard- I figured I better round out my starting lineup. All the big performing TE's were already gone. I would have liked Tod Heap- I had him last year. Great numbers. Pollard always seems good for consistant decent numbers for a TE. Year in and year out. And he has a decent number of touchdown catches along with consistant number of catches and yards. He's just a "safe" pick

kicker-Martin Grammatica- well backups were still being picked. But I saw a serious drop off of kickers after the first 5. So I wanted to make sure I got one of the top 5. I like kickers on teams like his. Because they had an offense that is good enough to get into scoring position many times a game. But not good enough to get a touchdown everytime. That makes lots of field goals.

WR- Wayne Chrebet- I needed a backup WR at this point. I was unsure of what he'd do with another WR opposite of him. And an early preaseason game showed that Penington really seemed to like to throw to Conway. But Chrebet was still out there, and he is a consistant performer. Another "safe" pick.

RB Onterio Smith. I just went out on a limb on this one. I just happened to check out some rookie pages. Some advice was to not get a rookie WR because they usually don't start. But often times the past few years rookie RB's have got the start early on and put up monster numbers (esp. in Denver's case, but also in San Diego). He looked like the rooke most likely to get a start because of an injury to Minnesota's starting running back. He's only a 4th rounder, but I figure I'll take a chance.

Kicker- Morten Anderson- I choose kickers high . But I saw another drop off of kicker ability of the remaining kickers. Anderson is getting pretty old, but he's a solid performer when my bye weeks comes up for Grammatica. And I was still uncertain about Martin Grammatica's groin injury.

WR- Kevin Johnson. I was a little suprised he was still out there. But he hasn't put up as good of numbers since Quincy Morgan came around. Couch has been going to Morgan alot. But Couch lost out on the starting job. I doubt Johnson's numbers will be near Morgan's, but Johnson is a solid performer with consistant numbers. He could come in handy if one of my WR's goes down.

TE- Ituli Mili- I figured I'd get a TE in case mine went down to injury. I could have picked another defense, but my defense can take an injury or two, and I can still start them. I can't do that if my TE goes down to injury. And I was also looking for a chance pick at TE. Pollard is okay, but he never has extraordinary numbers. I figured Seattle has to improve sometime , and he may end up putting up better numbers.
                        Last edited by Dis; August 24, 2003, 04:07.

Comment

Imran, when do we get to pick off the waiver wire? Chad Pennington just broke his wrist and I need abother QB

Comment

OK, kids, it's time for our spelling lesson of the day.

"Laveranues. L-A-V-E-R-A-N-U-E-S. Laveranues."

CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

I refuse to spell his name correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X