nintendo in trouble, cutting production and avoiding "complex" games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nintendo in trouble, cutting production and avoiding "complex" games

Nintendo is temporarily ceasing production of gamecube, to clear inventory. They also seem to be trying to refocus on "simpler" games, fearing that complex ones have cut into sales.

BBC on Nintendo

What does it all mean?

(hopefully that the PC remains and develops as THE platform for complex games, from my POV, but i realize theirs a big gap between this news and that noble goal)
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I feel bad for Nintendo, just like I felt bad for Atari, TurboGraphics, Sega, etc. It's just their time to go. Hopefully they won't make a mess of it like Atari (think Jaguar).

Comment

Ha! Die evil console companies! Hopefully Playstation will die next, and then X-Box! Then software developers will concentrate on making new PC games for me to play.

/me goes of singing with happiness *

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Unfortunately, consoles will never die, unless PCs (without monitors) would be priced roughly in that range.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Unfortunately, consoles will never die, unless PCs (without monitors) would be priced roughly in that range.
          Im not really even close to the borderline myself, since scarcely any games im interested in come out on consoles at all. But i think one thing that would help PC's in the console vs pc wars, and in general would be improvements in the ability to a run a given game on different PC configurations. I realize it will never be possible to assure that for every odd hardwar and software configuration out there, but it would be nice if a game could at least be guaranteed to run on any machine made by the major PC manufacturers (which meet minimum specs) with original software configuration.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
            Ha! Die evil console companies! Hopefully Playstation will die next, and then X-Box! Then software developers will concentrate on making new PC games for me to play.

* Jamski goes of singing with happiness *

-Jam

Not even clear to me that gamecube is quite dead yet.
            And if it does die, probably sales go to Playstation and Xbox. But a nice side benefit would be a drop in shelf space devoted to Gamecube games, and some shift back to PC games.

Comment

Xbox is outselling the Gamecube; if that's not a death toll I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                Xbox is outselling the Gamecube; if that's not a death toll I don't know what is.
                ISTR that Xbox is outselling gamecube in US, but GC is outselling xbox globally, due to higher GC sales in Asia.

Comment

I never thought Nintendo would die

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    I never thought Nintendo would die
                    nintendo's not dying, just Gamecube. Gameboy is still selling well.

Comment

Nintendo have been shielded for too long from the serious criticism that they richly deserve. A pity that they may never recover from this.

I doubt the PC as a games system will derive any benefit from this. It has too many other problems, particularly half-finished games.

Comment

Nintendo's in deep ****. But hopefully they'll get their act together and start SERIOUSLY competing in the console market.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Wow, wasn't expecting this. I guess a name is not enough forever...........you must keep delivering and not fall back on past glories. Long live the market.

Comment

This is sad, however not unexpected nor surprising.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

dont be too sad (or happy ) guys. They're not discontinuing the GC. They are clearly well under their annual sales targets - stopping for an extended period was probably not something they wanted to do, and is not a good sign, but it hardly means they're exiting the market. Just raises questions about their general future.

So what do you think of their strategy of "simpler" games?

Comment

Working...
                              X