Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is falling in love the best way to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is falling in love the best way to start?

MRT144's thread got me thinking. In all my days and through all my boyfriends, I don't think I ever really fell in love with any of them. Instead, I got to know them and spent time with them and the process was much more gradual. After a period of time, I found that I liked the guy a lot and that was that - we were dating.

I've never fallen in love, in the sense of suddenly being struck by anybody and thinking about them feverishly, etc.

I was wondering if that made my love any less deep, because it was less spontaneous. What do you think? Is it better to fall in love? Or to grow to love somebody?
    Falling in love spontaneously (s/he makes your heart melt on first sight).
    24.00%
    Gradually coming to love them (s/he is your best friend and you've been through everything together).
    56.00%
    Red hot slippery furry monkey-on-banana love with almonds on top (you need help).
    20.00%
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Intensity < > spontaneity
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

For lasting, gradual.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

not at all sure

just having a girl who you don't know well hitting you in the heart is not likely to be reciprocated though

Jon Miller
        Last edited by Jon Miller; August 9, 2003, 23:44.
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The problem is differentiating between being in love and being obsessed. Oi.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I guess everyone who has voted so far is in agreement.

Comment

Love leaps in at the eye.

It depends on the persons involved. People I know in arranged marriages have said that they came to love the person they were married to. Equally, my partner's parents have just celebrated their golden wedding anniversary, and that was a love match from the beginning.

I fell in love with my partner not on the first date, but certainly not long after. But what also developed was friendship, which I think is equally as important.
              I'm sure it will happen to you, Alinestria- a sudden shock, the coup de foudre, and your heart is racing, your breath comes in short gasps, you flush, you start to perspire (no, not a panic attack, but some of the common symptoms experienced by people struck by love at first sight).....
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                The problem is differentiating between being in love and being obsessed. Oi.
                Not that difficult.

Ask yourself, do you want the best for the other person, or do you just want him/her for yourself?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not that difficult.

Ask yourself, do you want the best for the other person, or do you just want him/her for yourself?
                  No, that's not it. I've definitely been obsessed with someone who I wanted the best for. All I ever thought about was helping this person. Obsession is tricky, very tricky.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

im hoping that the best way to start is to isloate and ostrasice them, until they feel so bad about themselves that they settle for me.
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The ways of love are far more complex... I mean, sometimes two people immediately fall in love with eachother, other times it's a gradual thing, anything can happen that forms a lasting relationship. The love you have can't be valued better or worse simply because of how it came about. Love is love, case closed.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Re: Is falling in love the best way to start?

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                        I was wondering if that made my love any less deep, because it was less spontaneous. What do you think? Is it better to fall in love? Or to grow to love somebody?

A few years ago I feel for this gorgeous Philipino girl that was from my hometown. I distinctly remember the first time I saw her and my comment to my best friend who was with me. I told him that girl will be the death of me, meaning that I could already tell there would be many sleepless nights because of her. I was right, because over the course of the next 3 years she was in and out of my life with varying degrees of happiness. When it finally ended I admitted to myself that I was never really in love with her. All her good qualities had been those that I have given to her and which were not really there.

When I met the girl that would become my fiance and carry my child, I was struck at how much she differed from my expectations. Everything about her that I admired and loved came from her and were not projected by me. When I lost her to the car accident, I realized exactly what it meant to love someone and just how much she had meant to me. In the long run that may prove to be a detriment because there is always a voice in the back of my mind comparing all the women I meet to Becky. That is an unfair comparison I know, but it is still there.

Love is something that comes at its own pace. The Love is there but each person takes a different amount of time to see it. I think what Urban Ranger was eluding to is that when you love someone their happiness is what is important even if that means them being with someone else. The true test of love isn't how long you can hold on, but how well you can let go.

Love has its own time, its own season, and its own reasons from coming and going. You cannot bribe it or coerce it or reason it into staying. You can only embrace it when it arrives and give it away when it comes to you.
                        --Kent Nerburn
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

As they say, the makings of a successful relationship depend on more than attraction.

Comment

3 married men ponder the question, trying hard to remember why they got married at all.
                            Attached Files
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The man on the right is particularly ghastly.

It also speaks volumes of what he's trying to cover up.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X