Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should get these traits ?

wtf

Well, I lost the connection after pressing the "create thread" button. Here is what I wrote:

The new traits open wild room for speculation. Now that Firaxis announced all existing Civ traits will be reworked, we can expect what traits will match what Civ
    While some new combos are obvious (agricultural-religious could go either to Egypt or India; seafaring-commercial could go either to England or Carthage), some others are not.

For example, who should be agricultural expansionistic ? The Americans or the Russians may qualify, but one could argue the Russians aren't that agricultural, and a case can be made for all traits for the Americans.

Who should be agricultural seafaring ? Most often, Seafaring Civs did so because of small landmass or poor soils. Maybe a Civ that was deeply connected with Fishing could get these traits (if agricultural applies to sea food as well as land food).

Who should be agricultural commercial ? These traits wouldn't be absurd for some peaceful Civs (France, India), but I can't think of a Civ that is perfectly matched with them.

Who should be seafaring religious ? I can't think of any Civ with these traits. I also wonder what Civ can be considered as seafaring scientific. Maybe the Spaniards and the Portuguese will get such traits ?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Ah... that's quite funny, actually

You're right about the new trait combos... they just don't seem to mesh.

Comment

I would prefer to see Egypt stay Industrious.

I am still wondering exactly what these traits will do. I would like to see many civs stay as they are (with some minor changes). Assuming the Dutch and Potrugeese (spelling?) are in they would both be Seafaring.

Would the Phonecians (again assuming they are in) qualify for Seafaring, commercial? or maybe some island civ could get religious, seafaring.
        For your photo needs:
        http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik
          I would prefer to see Egypt stay Industrious.

I am still wondering exactly what these traits will do. I would like to see many civs stay as they are (with some minor changes). Assuming the Dutch and Potrugeese (spelling?) are in they would both be Seafaring.

Would the Phonecians (again assuming they are in) qualify for Seafaring, commercial? or maybe some island civ could get religious, seafaring.
          hi ,

nah , they should change , they where not THAT industrious , .....

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I think it was said at Gamespot that the Phoenicians were scenario-only

Here are a few ideas.

England: Commercial, Seafaring
            Carthage: The same
            Vikings: Sea, Exp
            Japan: Mil, Sea (I think the Vikings should have this trait, but Japan is likely Seafaring)
            Spain: Rel, Sea
            Greeks: Sci, Sea
            Sumer: Sci, Agr
            Iroquois: Rel, Agr
            Incas: Agr, Exp
            China: Mil, Agr (or Agr, Ind)

More to come when I think of it, feel free to argue with what I have now
            Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Okay, how could the Vikings not be militaristic? Also I don't see the Japanese as being seafaring. I think the Vikings would do better with sea, mil and leave the Japs as they were.

BigD
              Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                Most often, Seafaring Civs did so because of small landmass or poor soils. Maybe a Civ that was deeply connected with Fishing could get these traits.........
                I think you've Hit the mother load with that very statement, The "TRAIT" of a civ should NOT BE DEFINED prior to the game, but instead chosen by the player AFTER At or After the game has started. A Seafaring Civ should be so, when the Civ is On a small Island and Needs to use the Sea as its travel and food basis, The Same can be said Of ALL the traits.... Start the player with No Traits and No bonuses, Heck Start them with No fixed UU, and when the player So decides, he/she assigns him/herself with the Trait that they choose for themself.

Start in the middle of the plains, Cool, ok I choose agricultural, 'DING' Get bonus Agr. Tech, ..... Later on Build the Collossus, ok good idea to choose the Science Trait.... DING, Science Tech bonus..... Of course you'd have to have some limit, maybe if you wait too long the bonus tech is allready in your tech tree and you get no further bonus...

Also, Who says I want an F-15 if I'm the americans.... Mid game I decide It'd be great if I could devote some extra research the KNIGHTS and have a bonus knight type.... Click... Choose Samuri.... DING, UU is chosen,

Each of these would not only be locked in place when the trait / UU is chosen, and you couldn't change it after... the game code could also allow you to 'Trade Unit Abilities', Trouncing the English.. they offer you MAN-O-War abilities, for a Forced Game Alliance, this follows that thread on alliances... where certain alliance breaking will split your empire under civil war where some of your cities may change over to the victim of the alliance break... Cool, now you can have Samuri and Man-o-war, and a long term ally/servant empire...
                EFR RPG GAME Designer, E.F.R. Forums The Coyn: Fantasy Mod for Civ3:Conquests

Comment

All I know is, there's gonna be a lot of restarting if I decide to use a seafaring civ on continents and pangeas.

I'm curious as to what techs each of the new traits will start with. will be interesting to see what they do.

Comment

I've been looking at China, i'd prefer it to be presented more realistically..
                    China - Scientific , Agricultural.

Because: it should have scientific , because it invented gunpowder, paper , printing press and the magnetic compass well before anyone else.. but they shouldn't build ships or at least not many, as they were isolationist, though evidence points towards them having explored most of the world before the west.
                    it should have agricultural, as china has second in population size , a vast amount of people, at least 4 times as much as the USA.

It could have industrial/agric, but I disagree with them being millitaristic, they rarely try to get into wars historically, its only recently they have become a millitary dictatorship.. conqeuring tibet. At the time of the mongols and most o f their history they've been pretty unmillitaristic.
                    This will stop the Great wall triggering their Golden Age.. maybe the Hanging gardens will trigger it if this is made Agricultural.

I do hope they beef up the Scientific trait, maybe it could give 4 science points to every city, 8 to every metropolis as well its old traits.

Does anyone know anything else about these new traits? i don't know about them - whats seafaring likely to do, reduce harbor / sea building costs?.

Maybe indonesia could be a civ with Expansionist/agricultural. It populated right across the indian ocean to Madagascar(the large island off of africa)
                    or perhaps the Seafaring trait instead of expansion.
                    Indonesia is the most populated land on earth, so ought to have a civ.

Australia /New zealand could have a civ, just call it australia. commercial / agricultural perhaps, maybe it could be industrial /agricultural though it shouldn't be too powerful.

Comment

It would be nice to have traits start or change mid game.
                      As i was saying the Chinese became more millitaristic with communism , perhaps in game they could choose millitaristic at the beginning of the industrial era.

An idea could be that at the beginning of each new era - or when you've researched your first tech in a new era, you can select new Civ ability traits(religous,commercial etc) .
                      You would need to stop all civs being Millitaristic/industrious or religious/commercial.. this would make them all to powerful and too similar.
                      You would have 10 trait points to choose your traits.. millitaristic would be powerful so take up 6 of your trait points, expansionist would be only 3 points.. and maybe the 1 point remaining would be added onto your next eras traits, so you could have a better set next era and allow you to start conquering everybody.

There would need to be some way to stop everybody having the same traits, maybe you could only select trait combinations that no one else had.. this would make the first civ into a new era have an advantage as it can choose nearly any trait it wishes.

I suppose some traits would only be unlocked when you had the right Advance.. How can a civ be commercial when it hasn't even discovered Currency yet?

I may try this with the game i'm coding myself, you can take on the abilities of conquered or allied nations in this, its like capturing a german nation would allow you to use their industrious ability there..

I don't know of any game thats used varying abilities, BOTF came close by allowing conquered aliens to give you special wonde bonuses to your whole galactic nation.

Comment

Traits picked midgame?

There is no possibility of that in ANY civ3 XP. It would require a fundamental change in the entire game. Maybe they'd put it in Civ4, but it sounds like it would be very difficult to do.

Comment

Actually, I'd too would love it if the traits evolved with the game. Such as a Civ becoming militaristic after many turns of heavy military preparations & actions, or a Civ becoming seafaring when it has built many ports and many boats, etc.

I'm less sure for the UU. It would be quite strange to have Zulu Samurai or Aztec Enkidu warriors.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Actually game code wise is easy, I did it for Civ2.. You assign each civ with a tech based on its 'trait' and as the game progresses, some techs are only available with that 'trait' tech as a pre-requisite..

Non- tech wise you can have it with buildings ATM, there are flags that allows only 1 of any building type to be built, if you assign a building that is trait specific style, and check that flag, then each civ can build only 1 of that type of building, and none of the others... If this building is a requirement for other buildings... then you have In Game Trait choices... This how My fantasy mod is working... I have Magic, Warfare, Nature and Religeon as my 4 'area's and if you follow the research path of one of these, you negate the use of the other.. Ok The Editor makes this extra hard to achieve and I had to bend some rules that the AI wont handle, But I'm making this as a multi-player game anyways.
                            EFR RPG GAME Designer, E.F.R. Forums The Coyn: Fantasy Mod for Civ3:Conquests

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                              Traits picked midgame?

There is no possibility of that in ANY civ3 XP. It would require a fundamental change in the entire game. Maybe they'd put it in Civ4, but it sounds like it would be very difficult to do.

hi ,

, why not go a bit further and let some civs change while they move from era to era , .......

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                              X