Turn 132, 70 AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn 132, 70 AD

Okay, starting this early, to get some points in...

Hurricane on galleys: do we need those? Currently, we have 2 other cities working on galleys, which we won't have much use for the coming 10 turns. I'd rather have it working on knigths instead (as long as the other 2 cities keep producing galleys, that is).

Cats! The following cities aren't very fast in producing units: Inchoff, WoC, Inchon, D-ville (possibly Elipolis). For the moment, we've got plenty of pikes, but we can always use more cats, we only have 7 of them, most of them on Bob. Bot only those on Bob could be reinforced, but more importantly if we want to have galley-galley attacks to keep invaders out, cat fire is going to be very effective, cats have a ~80% chance of hitting galleys.

Warrior heaven: in case we want to turn upper Stormia (one of these days we have to find a name for this peace of land) into a warrior factory, we have to pillage the road. Easiest would probably be Elipolis 8, if we go for Harry1 and H11, we can't let the worker on H111 build a road first (it needs irrigation, though). If we want warriors, we also have to pillage the harbor in Wittlich... which is a heavy price to pay. But, better get this discussion going quickly: first warriors could be build in 5 turns, and that harbor is only costing us money if we don't intend to use it (we could rush a galley there first before it goes)

Eta for banking in case Lego still wants to trade it: 8 turns. And I wouldn't mind having it in 7, just in case Lego decides to declare war on us early. But... that means no more upgrade money, at least not in mountains in gold.

If Hurricane is before Tempest in the city order (please check this this turn!), we can let Hurr build something in 2 turns (a galley, pike or MI), change to Tempest, and insta-build the GW without any possible interference from GoW.

DeepO

Hurricane on galleys: I agree.

Cats in unproductive cities: yes, good idea. Cats are still useful bombardment units, and they cost as little as 20 shields.

Warrior heaven (did you mean haven?): selling an 80 shields improvement is never a pleasure, but if we want warriors, then it's probably worth it. But can we afford the upgrades, while researching to meet Lego's deadline?

Hurricane, I believe, is before Tempest in the order of cities since the order is determined by the date that the city was founded. We have to confirm this before we rely on this, because if we're wrong then we're gonna have one fine university in Tempest but no GW.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Is this the turn that the GoW golden age starts? I know they razed bilbao, but it was undefended. Can you start a GA by taking an undefended city? I don't think they've had the opportunity to kill anything else...

Comment

I think the Vet Galleys from Hurricane will prove invaluable. If we get 5-6 of them up N, it all but eliminates the problem of GoW sending a landing force.

Also, once Lego gets Navigation, we have to have a standing navy on our east coast to spot incoming ships and block them (sinking Galleys if they send them). We probably want to forgo Economics and go for Navigation ourselves as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          Also, once Lego gets Navigation, we have to have a standing navy on our east coast to spot incoming ships and block them (sinking Galleys if they send them). We probably want to forgo Economics and go for Navigation ourselves as well.
          To that end, what do we do when our spotters spot them coming? Should we have an agreement in place that each of us can't come within, say, 5 squares of our continent, otherwise the ship can be sunk? I don't want us to idly watch as they say "oh, we're just poking around" and then they land troops. I want our waters to be sovereign.

Comment

I was thinking... ready the troops, delay the landing with Galleys/Caravels blocking the path... ect. Agreements are probably not worth anything between Lego and GS at this point, Lego needs to hit us when we're vulnerable, and we can't really focus on Lego anyways. Otherwise I'd suggest a 'no Navigation' research path between us. At this point though, it's a very one sided agreement (protecting only GS), and Lego would probably see it that way.

Who knows, maybe Lego has other plans (JS Bach?), but we need to be ready if they do go for Navigation. If we bring it up, asking for some sort of protection in the matter, it just makes us look scared IMO.

Comment

Don't know if you have seen it,

* Fixed bug which caused walls not to be obsoleted by growing from a town to a city.

this comes from the read-me of the 1.27 patch (already out for european versions.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't find any mentioning of 1.27 on civ3.com...
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I'm not saying we can't use more galleys, but do we need to have 3 cities on vet galleys? That's a lot...

I agree on Navigation: we will probably have to research it ourselves. I'm not sure if Lego is even going to give us Astro... the faster we can exchange banking for it, the better.

gold for warrior upgrades: well.. we probably will have more cash ready once the warriors are built. we need 5-7 turns if we want them to complete unrushed, which is about after banking... meaning more cash.

And Hurricane is before Tempest, but Nathan indicated that cities have gotten out of order with our gifting thing. Normally, all cities (foreign or our own) are in chronological order... but please check this before switching the GW.

DeepO

Comment

Read the news section shiber (the civ 3 one )
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Oh, the news section. Where notices of new things are put up. D'oh.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

A RP horseman did some scouting and found out that GoW's stack is now at Toledo 2. That gives them a fork on Toledo, New Madrid, and a two-turn shot at Pamplona, so we'll need to cover all three possibilities. I'm thinking probably put two pikes [edit: and a knight] on the mountain that provides the best route to Pamplona and divide the rest of our forces between "our" two cities. Also, I'm thinking that assuming I can catch it in the production phase, I should switch New Madrid's rush from a cat to a pike (spending the extra gold needed to make up the difference) since we won't have enough units to go around.
                        Last edited by nbarclay; August 3, 2003, 22:06.

Comment

I agree on the pike.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

We should have blocked T2, but that's not so smart to say after they got there. We need to think on how to get them down or going somewhere, becuase those Riders tie up too much forces where they are now...

We're having a real problem with gold- don't forget we need to research banking, help RP with 4 knights, and have some money for ourselves...
                            Save the rainforests!
                            Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

That would have put us in a jam had GoW decided to attack Toledo.
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X