Finally I did it.

Many thanks to Microslave for his help.

You may download the mod here .

README.TXT :

-----------------------
    Features :

- 147 historical territories
    - 10 continents
    - 18 European "tribes" (Scots, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Burgundians, Danes, Germans, Austrians, Venetians, Papists, Poles, Hungarians, Greeks, Turks, Russians, Egyptians, Arabs)
    - Historical strategic barbarian rulers and city names
    - Resources and strategic cards placed on historic locations (sort of)
    - A very ugly Render Map
    - All in ENGLISH
    -----------------------

-----------------------
    This version DOES NOT include :

- Special abilities for new tribes (couldn't mod Maya, Inca etc. abilities ; if anyone knows, please tell me)
    - Special units (Portuguese SU are the Spanish ones, Austrians' --> Germans', Venetians' --> Romans' etc.)
    -----------------------

-----------------------
    How to install :

- UNZIP in your RoN main folder. It should :

1 - add 1500_europe.xml and 1500_europe.png files in the 'conquest' folder
    2 - add an ugly RENDER_1500_europe.png file in the 'conquest\RenderMaps' subfolder

3 - create a 'conquest/1500 Europe' subfolder, that includes 11 PNG images (borders & continents), 1 TGA image (small B&W Europe), and a 'conquest/1500 Europe/tomove' subfolder

- From your 'conquest/1500 Europe/tomove' subfolder, MOVE the tribe xml files (28 xml files that start with '1500') to the '.\tribes' folder

- From your 'conquest/1500 Europe/tomove' subfolder, MOVE the remaining 3 xml files (europe1500help.xml, europe1500rules.xml and europe1500unitrules.xml) to the '.\data' folder

- In the '.\data' folder, BACKUP help.xml, rules.xml and unitrules.xml files, by renaming them for example

- ONCE YOU'VE BACKUPED THE FILES, in the '.\data' folder, RENAME europe1500help.xml, europe1500rules.xml and europe1500unitrules.xml files, respectively in help.xml, rules.xml and unitrules.xml
    -----------------------

-----------------------
    How to play :

Just select '1500 Europe' when playing a CTW game.

You'll have to replace data\help.xml, rules.xml and unitrules.xml with the backuped ones if you want to come back to a traditional CTW game with Maya Inca etc., and may have to restart the game twice (don't understand why).
    -----------------------

-----------------------
    Please note :

- 5 turns per age. As there are around 50 supply depots on the map, it should help strategic invasions of territories with multiple armies, thus shortening the game. Actually I have not played a game to the end yet. The number of turns per age may be modified on the first line of the 1500_europe.xml file

- Armies positionned in historical naval powers (Flanders, Genoa, Venice...) may reach several territories by sea, but the way back may not be possible (that's moreless what happened to Charles VIII of France after invading the Kingdom of Naples in 1495)

- Sometimes weird things happen when you invade the Wind Islands territory, because of the lack of dry land.

- Some territory names are too long and may not fit on the map. But replacing them with ahistorical shorter names looks quite inappropriate, doesn't it ?

- I'm not a hitorian. Do not hesitate to correct wrong names (cities, rulers, territories).

- This mod seems to work properly on my French version of RoN, but I haven't tested it on an English one. Thanks for your reporting any comment or bug on the forum.
    -----------------------

sweet man, going to try it out now....if I don't come back soon it means all is well. :-)

Comment

Ok so far, playing the poles, if you attempt to attack "Ruthenia" on your first move...it crashes the game. The error reported is> Unkown Gpiece Type
      (it gives you the option to ignore/retry/abort) (it shuts down regardless)

This is a consistent error for this move. I have saved prior to attacking and tried it again getting the same results.
      I hope theres a fix for it.

Comment

It appears so far that it has something to do with the Poles themselves.....the Greeks have captured "Ruthenia" and the game didn't crash. It was an AI army. I will continue to test the map to see what other crashes may occure.

I have been testing the other countries to see if any other crashes occur. I'm only on Austria right now but there haven't been any other problems. Is it possible the problem has to do with the "Army" piece and its facing when attack move is made? I have succesfully attacked other surrounding areas with out the game crashing.

Comment

nice work
          Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Absolutely loving it
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by SittingDuck
              It appears so far that it has something to do with the Poles themselves.....the Greeks have captured "Ruthenia" and the game didn't crash. It was an AI army. I will continue to test the map to see what other crashes may occure.
              Never seen this. I can hardly be of any help if it's due to string translations I'm afraid.

Furthermore I'm on holiday this evening, in a wild internetless area (the kind of thing you only find in France) Good luck in you testing...

Comment

Holy hell, this is amazing. So many territories, and some barbarian scenarios I've never seen on normal CTW...

Hats off!

Comment

So then I take it there will be no fixes to the errors? This is the final release? There has been more than one post about this problem, ie; more than one person has had this error.

Comment

Do you have the countries in the proper order, like I said? (Or did I say that?)

I included the program I used to do that, and I can explain how to use it if you need.

Comment

Microslave, can u put in a link so we can download that program. I never heard of it. Its a longshot (for me that is since im not that much of a data guy) but maybe i can screw around enough to find out the problem... or anyone else as a matter of fact.

Comment

I suppose I could.

I have to warn you though, if you don't understand programming, you likely won't get anything out of them .

They're all console based with almost no prompts, you have to know what the program is meant to do, and the format which it accepts input inorder to be able to use them.

The one I mentioned above is pretty simple to use, you remove your data file (*.xml), and then start RoN & launch your CTW. Everything will be named "country 1" and will be "blah". However this generated file is in the correct order, that is the top, right most country is in the first country tag, and the bottom left most one is in the last country tag. If they are in the wrong order, the game will screw up, and likely in the fashion that was described above.

Anyway, I wrote a simple program that uses the proper order, and the proper names, and then gives you an xml file that has the proper names and proper order. This is done by way of the colors.

I wrote a few other ones, including a linker which automatically linked both countries, displayed all the countries, and allowed for shortened versions of the country for faster typing. Basically ger* = germany, again you would have to know a little about programming to understand the format in which it accepts links (I think it was ger*.spai*. for a link between Germany & Spain, the '.' at the end signaled a "Sea link".).

Another one checked for duplicate colors, which probably won't be helpful for anyone, the reason I wrote it was because I am colorblind. I had a hell of a time getting the colors right . It also checked for duplicate names and id's, although I'm not positive.

I wrote another one that would automatically distribute the tribute for my map. I set a total value I would like to be avaible on the entire map, and also set it so that countries with a rare resource, would not recieve tribute. Anyway, it would automatically add the tribute values to each country.

Then I finally have a program that I have no idea what it does Dubly named "experiments" . Actually, according to the menu, it "Linked Countries", "Displayed Links", "Wrote Tribute/Rare/Supply tags to countries" and "Edited Continents".

Anyway, the code is messy, I wrote it as I went, not thinking about what I might need in the future, and intending the program to be for me, and soley me .

Let me know if you want any of them, and reply back with your email address.

Comment

Although I'm all but done with my full world mod, I wouldn't mind having these tools in the future.

just out of curiosity, what language did you program them in? are you willing to share the source?

I'm definitely interested in recieving all of the programs.

my email in spam free format:

rif_k at yahoo dot com

Comment

Well... actually, im not sure if the problem is with the countries. It seems that when I still had the european CTW mod installed, I started to play a new scenario I downloaded. But for some reason, the same screw up happened with the gpiece and all. It was only after uninstalling all of the european mod was I able to play the scenario. So im guessing that there maybe a problem in the data or unit rules files that come along with it. Just a thought.

PS--Jebus, I can't wait to try out your CTW WORLD MOD!

Comment

Don't mean to rush anyone, but does anyone know the real problem with this? I tried to fix it but couldn't find anything. Microslave, you got any other suggestionS?

Comment

Working...
                              X