No announcement yet.

.Mac Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dial-up is free Asher, so for ~$10/month I get all the normal services.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      I get all those things for free.
      Sure you do. So do I because I am enrolled at a university.

FTP still isn't as useful as the idisk was though and my mac mail never ever got spammed.

with .mac you also get a free copy of iblog, a versiontracker plus subscription and discounts. There is other **** as well.

I was a critic when it first started as Apple was essentially trying to get you to pay for something that was free (itools). However, a year later, it so happens that what you get for your money has become a lot better.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

with .mac you also get a free copy of iblog, a versiontracker plus subscription and discounts. There is other **** as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd been thinking about adding a blog to my website, so this is pretty good timing.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          Sure you do. So do I because I am enrolled at a university.

FTP still isn't as useful as the idisk was though and my mac mail never ever got spammed.
          The reason your mac mail never gets spammed is because you haven't published it online probably. New mails take a while to get spam.

And I don't see how the FTP isn't as useful as "idisk", add an FTP site as a Network Place and you can save to it just like any other file in Windows.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The reason your mac mail never gets spammed is because you haven't published it online probably. New mails take a while to get spam.
            So I never published my sympatico account anywhere or used it to register for anything. But still spam.

I had a mac.com account for over 2 years and nothing.

And I don't see how the FTP isn't as useful as "idisk", add an FTP site as a Network Place and you can save to it just like any other file in Windows.
            Because FTP doesn't automatically sync your online folder with those on all your other computers.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

So I never published my sympatico account anywhere or used it to register for anything. But still spam.

I had a mac.com account for over 2 years and nothing.

Because FTP doesn't automatically sync your online folder with those on all your other computers.
              hi ,

close it for a week or so , all those mainframes shall get messages saying that your email is not there anymore and it shall be removed from the lists , .......

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Or you can just bounce the spam emails automatically. But again that might be a Windows-clients only feature.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Or you can just bounce the spam emails automatically. But again that might be a Windows-clients only feature.
                  hi ,

nah , that aint waterproof , ......

there are plenty of tools out there to stop spam , ......

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Of course you can bounce them. But that's really ****ing annoying.

Better to never get them or to have a good junk mail filter like Apple's Mail does.

Having crap junk mail flitering seems to be an MS problem.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I will have to dispute the fact that junk mail for .Mac accounts occurs, because it does, and heavily like it would for any e-mail account that's over two years old.

I use Entourage because I've never wanted to bother learning how to use Mail and it filters out as well as I need with as many rules as I've set up.

Asher, others, how does one 'bounce' e-mails?

Comment

Of course you can bounce them. But that's really ****ing annoying.
                        How is it annoying when the client bounces spam automatically and deletes it?

Better to never get them or to have a good junk mail filter like Apple's Mail does.

Having crap junk mail flitering seems to be an MS problem.
                        Hah.
                        Spoken like somebody who hasn't used Outlook 2003 yet.

Apple's Bayesian filter is ancient compared to the one in Outlook 2003.

Granted, Outlook 2003 is the first MS client to have built-in spam filtering. But at least it's the best at it.

And for the sake of fairness, we'll ignore the fact that Apple's Mail, and even Mozilla, use junk-mail filtering algorithms developed years ago by MS Research, while Outlook 2003 sports the latest incarnation.

Asher, others, how does one 'bounce' e-mails?
                        It depends what client and/or plugins you're using. How I have it set up in Outlook 2003, is it uses the spam filter to determine what's most probably spam (I have it set to "High" right now, and it's yet to give me a false positive and and only a few times missed real spam, and I told it it was spam and it learned from it for next time). It moves all spam email (about 20 a day) to the Junk Mail folder, then, in the background, bounces that mail by connecting to your mailserver and forging a "user not found" type error so they think your email does not exist. Then, I have it set to purge the junk mail box weekly.
                        Last edited by Asher; September 28, 2003, 19:52.

Comment

well i've decided to not renew my .mac subscription, i have email from my college, and i carry my laptop with me to class, so i really do not have a need for any of the features. I do wish apple would provide a email service for a much reduced price(I still think that .mac email is excellent, but it alone is not worth 100$). so i'm hoping that down the road apple will provide a email only .mac account, then i'll return, but until then no.

Comment

They do offer an e-mail only service.

Comment

Granted, Outlook 2003 is the first MS client to have built-in spam filtering. But at least it's the best at it.)
                              Apple Mail is perfect at filtering junk mail if you give it a few weeks to learn and get used to the kind of junk you get.

Outlook 2003?

Hey, everyone, @ Asher.

Yeah right. A pity I can't actually buy and use it until next month. You are such a pathetic bull****ter Asher: comparing Apple Mail, a year old product soon to be updated, to a product that isn't even available to the general public.

I've had Apple Mail with junk filtering for over a year now. I guess M$hit had to catch up sometime.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

I've had Outlook with junk mail filtering for more than a year. I used the SpamAssassin plugin which seamlessly integrates.

And Outlook 2003 is certainly available to the general public, anyone can download it.

It's also a much more advanced and tweaked version of the algorithms Mail used, which are the ones MS made public in 1998 in the paper I linked. They've continually advanced it ever since, because MS didn't deem the algorithms as of 1998 to be accurate enough. Now they think it's good enough for widespread use, and hence its inclusion in MSN's Outlook Express (for over a year now), and Outlook 2003.

Comment

Working...
                                X