No announcement yet.

Why is pork so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cows eat grass, lots of it. They need huge fields of grass to survive.

In the U.S. we don't feed our cows cow parts like some other countries I will not name . we feed our cows what they are supposed to eat. crap growing on the ground.

Comment

cows eat grass, lots of it. They need huge fields of grass to survive.
      I have a football field near me that the council can't afford to cut any more. Cows could be put on it I suppose but then it would just fill with cow****.

So cut the grass and sell it to farmers to feed factory-imprisoned cows with.

We could have them on treadmills for exercise. put the cows in rooms for an hour with treadmills at a few mph with rotating saws at the end where the treadmills are going towards.

Would do the trick.

Cheap meat.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

It's a darned sight cheaper to put the cows in the field and transport them to the slaughterhouse than it is to keep them in the slaughterhouse and transport the grass to them.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Right, because designing treadmills for cows and training the cows to run on them certainly wouldn't drive costs up
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

How exactly does one get an Economics degree these days? Does it involve collecting coupons and vouchers?

Comment

It's a darned sight cheaper to put the cows in the field and transport them to the slaughterhouse than it is to keep them in the slaughterhouse and transport the grass to them.
              No it's not. You're forgetting the cost of land.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Uh huh. And how much is greenbelt land worth?

Comment

It's quite precious, apparently.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I won't embarrass you into backing that up. Instead- consider that this land only becomes "precious" if permission to develop it is obtained- a tricky area to say the least.

Then consider two other points- firstly that most of the land suitable for development is not used for pastoral farming. It's used for arable farming, and it's difficult to get closer to industrial conditions than that.

Secondly, if you drop all the restrictions on developing greenbelt land, what impact would that have on...

A- The housing market.

B- The wider economy?

Comment

You still need the land to grow the grass, so you may as well keep the cows there too -- maximize efficiency.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

wouldnt have thought Laz would be a charlton heston fan....

That's about as far as you could get away from Charlton Heston.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You mean he's not doing a take off on Soylent Green?

Comment

A nice abstract discussion for Saturday morning. Anyway..

Instead- consider that this land only becomes "precious" if permission to develop it is obtained- a tricky area to say the least.
                            No - the value of the land to society is higher than its developed value, but the private market would likely not take this into account. That's why it's not built on.

Don't think just in money terms.

Then consider two other points- firstly that most of the land suitable for development is not used for pastoral farming. It's used for arable farming, and it's difficult to get closer to industrial conditions than that.
                            Again, I don't see how this is relevant. The large cow shed would be built wherever land was cheapest - not necessarily where farms exist now.

Secondly, if you drop all the restrictions on developing greenbelt land, what impact would that have on...

A- The housing market.
                            It would most likely reduce the likelihood of booms and busts in the market as supply of houses would respond more effectively to the price level. So what?

B- The wider economy?
                            Nice to see you admitting my plan has some merit by going off at a complete tangent.

You still need the land to grow the grass, so you may as well keep the cows there too -- maximize efficiency.
                            How many garderners just chuck out their grass? Create a market for it in the plan I have outlined previously, and efficiency will rise.

The land that the cows were previously on would be freed up for something far more useful.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Won't work. Too many homeowners use pesticides, many of which would render beef unsuitable for human consumption if the cow ate them.

Comment

So that would create an incentive to use fewer pesticides in order to gain some £$ for your grass.

Surely for the better as well. Cheers MM.
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X