One police officer foils $50 million heist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One police officer foils $50 million heist

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Florida (AP) -- A police officer foiled a heist of more than $50 million after he spotted an armored truck parked on a dirt road and helped arrest two men who had allegedly hijacked the vehicle, authorities said.

FBI agent Jeff Westcott said Sgt. John Kosorok broke up what would have been one of the biggest heists in U.S. history. The $50.3 million was more than double the estimated $18 million that was stolen from a Loomis, Fargo & Co. truck in Jacksonville in 1997.

"This was just part of the job," Kosorok said Tuesday evening. "Anyone could have run up on it happening, I just happened to be the one. The big deal is this was $50 million."

Kosorok, who had been called in to work overtime, was about 21/2 hours into his shift when he saw someone climbing into the gray Brinks truck and heard an alarm along the dirt road.

"I knew this was not good," Kosorok said. "Brinks trucks do not pull off their routes and up dirt roads. Their people do not get out of their vehicles."

With his .45-caliber handgun drawn, Kosorok walked up to the driver's door of the truck, according to an FBI affidavit. Suddenly, the front door and the covering on one of the vehicle's gunports flew open. Kosorok heard shouting inside and pointed his gun toward the door while taking cover behind a nearby telephone pole.

Kosorok called the dispatcher for backup. At that moment, Kosorok said five men -- all dressed in Brinks uniforms -- came bailing out of a side door. A sixth was later found inside the vehicle.

"All I could think about was this was going to be one heck of a gun battle," he said. "I ordered everyone on the ground."

All the men complied and Kosorok held them at gunpoint until others arrived.

The truck was on its way to Tampa from the Federal Reserve Bank in Jacksonville when Jose Alfaya, 31, a Brinks Armored Car Service manager in Tampa, and Victor Moscoso, 34, a childhood friend from Miami, pulled it over on Interstate 4, pretending it was a company inspection, the FBI said.

The four other people in the truck were identified as the armored car crew and were released after questioning.

Alfaya and Moscoso were charged Tuesday with interfering with commerce by threats or violence. They could face 10 to 15 years in prison. A court hearing was scheduled for Thursday.

Job well done to the officer... who performed his job well... it could of turned deadly.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Jesus.

Kosorok, who had been called in to work overtime, was about 21/2 hours into his shift

What the hell are they doing making police work 21.5 hour shifts?

I certainly wouldn't trust myself to drive, let alone carry a gun after a full day without sleep.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH, I believe they meant 2.5 hours. Editor missed a space between the numbers.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Actually, I misread that. Saw 21 1/2

My bad.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The $50.3 million was more than double the estimated $18 million that was stolen from a Loomis, Fargo & Co. truck in Jacksonville in 1997.
          Brilliant deduction there... we most certainly could not have figured that out on our own...
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

But most of the nonPolyites reading the article could?
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Basic multiplication?
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Cmon, it's on CNN. Do most Americans who read CNN know how to multiply up to their 2's?
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Brilliant deduction there... we most certainly could not have figured that out on our own...
                    Leftist media I tell you...
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

the police had no right to do this.

These money was being taken from rich, greedy, capitalists and would be distributed to poor people who in turn would invest it into the economy.

Comment

21/2 hour shift is 10.5 hours.

Ha!

I still can't believe 5 guys in the middle of a heist weren't prepared for a lone cop like that. Very amateurish.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                          21/2 hour shift is 10.5 hours.

Ha!

I still can't believe 5 guys in the middle of a heist weren't prepared for a lone cop like that. Very amateurish.
                          Well for that cop.. a very damn lucky day..... unless he was Clint Eastwood, I wouldn´t see how he could pull it off if there was a gun fight.

Comment

4 of the 6 were the actual crew of the armored truck, presumably being held hostage. Only 2 of the 6 occupants of the truck were the hijackers.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

There were only 2 robbers, the rest were the crew of the armored car whom the robbers got the drop on.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X