Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get rid of "The wealthiest nations of the world" screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get rid of "The wealthiest nations of the world" screens?

You know those screens that pop up and show the order of all the civs of the world for different categories such as wealth, power, science, etc.? How do you make that stop coming up? It's dumb to know all the civs in the game before you've discovered them. Sometimes I close my eyes when it pops up but I always figure out a couple of civs that are somewhere out there, and I don't like it.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

It's impossible, I think.

Comment

True it is a give away of sorts. If you did not select randon civs, you already know who is in the game. If you did you could still go to the ship race and find the names.
      I used that in AU402 as I had found 20 civs, but could not be bothered to figure out the missing names.
      It was no help as I already knew all civs were in the game. I just could not think of all the names and did not want to look them up. I wanted to post the names of the uncontacted civs.

Comment

hi ,

why do you want to get rid of them , .... they only need a click and they are gone , and there aint that many of them , .....

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Interesting question. There is a text file in the "Text" folder named "Great Books". It contains the setup for those popups. I think if you moved the file somewhere else (in case you want to bring it back), it would cause an error.
          But it might be worth a try to change some of the text. The lines that say "$HISTORY_RANK2" and so on apparently call the lists of civs from the program. Maybe its possible to alter these so that they say some thing else. If you look in the other text files, there are other items that start with a $ sign. If you put one of these in place of the "$HISTORY_RANK2" lines, then they will probably throw in something else. It won't make any sense, but you won't know the other civs!

The first popup occurs in 3000 BC, so you'll know if it works by then.

I'm going to try this, but I'm too busy tonight. Let me know if you have any luck.
          Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

I agree. I don't like to see them either. I'd blank out names of unknown civs, if I could.

Comment

OK, johncmcleod, I found the time to put my money where my mouth is. First I tried removing the "Great Books" text, but as predicted, it causes a crash. So then I altered the text a bit. I changed all the lines that say "$HISTORY_RANK" and changed them to "$AI0". Come 3000 BC and the popups simply don't appear. No crash, no mess, no wet spot!

Be sure to change it in both "Great Books" files if you have PTW. There's a text folder under the CIV3PTW folder and another under the Civilization III folder.

Please hold all applause!
              Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

I never have less than the full complement of nations, so I'm not bothered by "discovering" some of them a little early.

Besides, I'm nosy.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I guess I just don't usually bother to pay attention to those. They usually show up in the ancient age and I'm lagging behind so much I don't even make the top 8 on anything larger than a standard map. If they came out in the middle age and industrial age it would be a little more meaningful to me since I'm just about catching up by then.

BTW I usually play monarch and emperor levels, just for referencing my lagging behind statement.

Comment

Working...
                  X