On the Eve of Destruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Eve of Destruction

At this moment we still sit on the save to give us time to fully comprehend what lies ahead of us. Still, it cannot be known what the natioins of ND and GoW plan to do, as each puts up a front to attack us, yet each must secretly be longing for complete domination of the continent. In this war we must merely be pawns in their struggle, and we should not allow ourselves to be treated as such.

Let it be known that despite our optimism and our faith and our efforts that we could sway GoW against ND, we still maintained a full military readiness. We are as ready as we can be and we will continue to build and push to turn back the tide of our invaders, whomever they may be.

If this all turns out to be a ruse, I still will not ever forgive GoW for the pain and suffering they have put us all through, through the torment of having to wait out this long night and watch the Riders to see if they would ride up Watch Mountain, or turn back and assault the city of Mavdad.

Let the fires burn all through the night. Bring every last able bodied Spanard to the front. Prepare your armor, gentlemen because we are now heading for war. A long and dangerous war who's outcome is unknowable. Many of you may not survive this war.

I am not a fighter but my place is not at home. I journey now with the Dejon family of warriors to our front lines. Join me my brothers. Tomorrow we fight for our land, our families, and for our lives.

--Togas
    Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
    Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
    Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
    Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Indeed, the Clemente household has sent its sons to serve Spain in this war. It is our prayer to our holy catholic god that we might yet be spared the trial of our sons in battle, but will persevere nevertheless should they be forced to fight for the defense of their homeland.

Indeed, let every able-bodied man of military age be armed, trained, and sent to the front lines to defend our people and our way of life.

Righteousness is ours, so we may thus have confidence in the placement of god's grace for us over the infadels.

In defense of Spain and all of the Holy Catholic faith we fight this crusade.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

We shall defend our homelands with bravery and dignity! Onwards to Victory for Spain; drive back the infidels! Never give up, never surrender!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFree
        Never give up, never surrender!
        [OOC]

Galaxy Quest!

[/OOC]

Comment

*inconsolably drunk*

Let's have another toast... toast number, err ... the number escapes me right now and that deserves another toast after this one...

...alright...

"May you have good food and raiment,
          a soft pillow for your head,
          and may you be in heaven forty years
          before the devil knows you're dead."

Eat, drink, and be merry, gents, for tomorrow we may die.
          Last edited by ruby_maser; July 15, 2003, 12:56.
          "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Don Calamari is also drunk, his small stomach filled with wine. He wipes a tear from his eye. He's never felt worse in his life.

He bites his lip.

Damnation. What are we doing, eh?

He says this to no one in particular.

We're like drowning mice in a water trap. There's no where to float except onward. We claw away in hopes that we can paddle to safety, but we know that we can't avoid the destruction ahead.

Maybe we can escape from our water trap, but not without hurting ourselves in the process. Likewise, we cannot avoid our land trap, our war. We've gone too far now, it seems, there is no turning back. It is them or us.

The Lord Toledo gulps down some more wine, though he knows his belly is full... He cares not, he just wants to be blotto. He is usually sober. No one sees him like this. What does he fear?

My son is up there now, in the front, waiting for an attack. He's so bold and happy. I wish I had his strength and his will...and his sheer young ignorance.

God... What is that now? The sound of drums, the call of horns...marching...

Watching his troops march on to Toledo, he stands upon his table...

The Son of Man goes forth to war,
            A golden crown to gain!
            His blood-red banner streams afar --
            Who follows in his train?

He sits down glumly again, and fingers his sword. He prepares for the battle himself. He knows it is coming. He knows he has time to sober up for it, however. Suddenly, a group of carts move down the road past the tavern which he sits outside of. In the darkness, he notes the oblong boxes that the carts hold. Empty now, yes, but soon to be filled...

O, watchers... You've come to take us away, have ye not?

We can't go home again.

The only way back to our homes is in your boxes.
            Empire growing,
            Pleasures flowing,
            Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

* The Spanish Commander takes a moment away from his now constant duties...

Citizens of Spain, your commander is on Bash Mountain, in the eastern front, commanding Bashing Maul 1. Looking out over the jungle, we can see scores of advancing Chinese Riders. It looks as though they will reach us before we can set up a perimeter (fortify), but fear not! With me are some of the best men the Spain military has produced in years, and we will give our lifeblood before letting a single enemy run wild in Spain.

From Togas' last communique, I surmise that the King is travelling to the front with either Bashing Maul 5 or 6. I will send orders for his protection after first contact with the enemy. I wish I could send our Lord to ground in Pamplona, but I know better than that. The Togas and Dejon lines have fought together since the dawn of Spain, and this incursion in Spanish soil demands that we take up arms together once more.

I call for every citizen of Spain to identify their location, especially if they are with a unit of the military. We need to know if and when notable figures of Spain fall to the advancing hordes. All will be remembered honorably.

For the glory of Togas! For the glory of Spain! To arms!

* Jaguar Dejon marches off, and is once more encircled by his officers and honour guard.

Comment

What do they want, Marshal? You, the wisest in these matters, must surely know. Are they traitors, as I predict, or are we to entertain angles in disguise? Holy Lord, may that this cup passes over us, for Spain should not taste this bitter medicine...

I have arrived, Marshal Dejon, to assist you. I have brought two of my sons and my nephew, Captain Headwig Calamari. We've been following the wagons for the coffins and the beacons lights along the road to the Old Watch Tower of the Kings, where the Visigoth slew the She-Devil in ancient times.

Up on that crest stands the Squiddimark, the rotting old fortress of my ancestors who once defended this mountain against the Vandals. It is wet tonight. Those stones are obscured by the ivy and moss and mist on that mountain. I dare say, it will prove to be our last refuge if they do come.

But if they are coming, let them come. We may not be able to defend ourselves all through this night, but surely into the morning they will have been tired out by this fight and will not stay. May God let it be so.

I pledge to you my old sword. I shall not fail you. I'll die like the footsoldiers in my tracks if I must. I shall never desert this post.

Lord Toledo
                Empire growing,
                Pleasures flowing,

Comment

I am, indeed, en route with the 6th division of the Eastern Mauls, presently known as the Bashing Mauls.

However, perhaps our Pope will find the will to rename our divisions not for their weapons, but for the Defense of God, the Church, your nation and your King.

Let our soldiers not be mere "Mauls", let them be CRUSADERS for Spain! Let us devise new names and new titles for our military, and let the Lords themselves take up positions on both the East and the West as we await the arrival of these invaders!

--Togas
                  Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                  Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

I need to know if I should post this poem in the public forum or not?

Twas the night before Armageddon, and all through the plains
                    Every crusader and every noble were rallying for Spain.
                    The people were all dressed in armor, with pikes close at hand
                    When I and Dejon, from horseback, proudly surveyed the land.

When there from the east, there rose a battle cry
                    We watched as a band of Riders had seemingly fallen from the sky.
                    So we took to Watch Mountain, abandoning our beds.
                    And shouted insults at the fools, about the size of their head.

When there on the west, we caught a terrible sight
                    Two Arabian ships, with troops, in the middle of the night.
                    So we ran to the shoreline, we ran to the sea.
                    We wanted to watch as the Nina sunk them, with glee.

And there in the jungle, working night and day
                    Two Arabian workers trying to clear it away.
                    We readied our troops, and readied our 'Pults.
                    So we could properly welcome the dolts.

In all of Spain, not a single city rests.
                    All working on soldiers for this mighty test.
                    So come Glory of Treachery, come Neu Demoliars
                    We relish our chance to throw your carcases to the fires!
                    --Togas

Comment

Huzzah, King Togas!

Of course, I think you should post it.
                      "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
                      Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

I have ordered Stufpos and Sewfa to stay in Sevilla and be interim governor and Sevilla's military officers.

I, Spamish Mitchell, will join the units up north with you and defend Spain. For though I am old, I still must defend my real home, and it is the honorable thing to do.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

HAHA Great stuff! This would make even Beta jealous!

Comment

Senor Francisco Clemente is currently in Pamplona, where is at court providing what assistance he can to areas of diplomacy, administration, and military preparations.

As for the other figures in the household...

Senor Hernando Clemente, heir to the household, is travelling with Bashing Mauls 5 & 6 (or whatever they are renamed to)
                            Senor Antonio Clemente, Hernando's younger brother, is with the Smashing Maul stack near Santiago
                            Senor Luis Clemente, Francisco's younger brother, is currently serving in the Madrid Guard pikeman unit stationed north of Madrid
                            Senor Miguel Clemente, elder son of Luis, is also with the Smashing Maul stack
                            Senor Gabriel Clemente, younger brother of Francisco and Luis, is with the Bashing Maul stack at Watch Mountain

There are, of course, other members of the larger Clemente household, but these are the most important figures and indeed the ones with some position of rank within Spanish society.

Comment

Togas, of course you should post it!
                              --

(Don Iago de History Guy Calamari, Lord Toledo, surveys the scene of the approaching Riders with his second-in-command, Omar Neecaply...played by Carl Malden in the film version two thousand years later...)

There, Omar, is where they'll come. Just like they did three thousand years ago.

Three Vandal legions approached on either side of the mountain fortress. The Visigothic defense was strong, but the Vandals were superior in strength.

They fought all day long and into the evening, but eventually, the Visigoths defending the fortress gave out...

Da-da-da-da-da-da! Duh Dum!

How do I know?

I was there.

Yes, Omar, I was there.

Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da! Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh-Duh!

Arab women stripped the bodies of the slain and left our men lying naked on the ground...

Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da!

Just yankin' yer gam, Omar.

OK...

Lord Toledo
                              Empire growing,
                              Pleasures flowing,

Comment

Working...
                              X