freeciv + blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeciv + blender

as some of you may already know, there is a great (in my opinion 3D software outside, called "Blender" ( blender site ). a few months ago it has become open-source (it already was freeware before) and it is rapidly developing by now.
    i have started to create some 3d-graphics projects for freeciv, such as a new nuke animation, isometric city tiles and unit animations, which i have uploaded to the freeciv ftp server (nuke.tar.gz, iso_city_european.tar.bz2 and warrior.tar.bz2).
    i would like to encourage you to make yourself familiar to blender and start improving the client graphics. Blender has a very powerful character animation system, which i think is great for animating the units in freeciv using different actions, such as movement, attacking/defending, building, bombing ... Blender is extremely fast to use, due to it's keyboard oriented interface, but i'm afraid this also makes it a little difficult to learn. But after all there is a growing blender community, which gives you all the help you need. And if you don't want to learn blender, you can still give me some feedback.
    Attached Files

This looks very impressive! What does the nuke explosion look like? Is it animated in a way?
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

P.S

I was one of the contributors to free the blender source code. It's good to see Blender is put to good use.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

i have included a small avi file and the blender source in the nuke.tar.gz on the freeciv ftp server - see above. (unfortunately it seems impossible to directly render that animation with a transparent background at the moment, but that's a minor problem)

Comment

Hey, this is very cool.

Several people have talked about doing an opengl client or adding opengl to existing clients, but the biggest hurdle has always been the lack of 3d art. When you make stuff, please do upload the models to the freeciv ftp site, and add a note saying you put it into GPL or public domain, so that we can use it.

I'd love to learn how to use Blender myself, one day. But that day is not now :-)

Comment

My only objection is that 3d graphics might slow things down too much.

Edit: I also seem to be unable to download blender, any help?
            Last edited by geeslaka; July 15, 2003, 00:13.
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

Howabout making objects in 3D, but have option for 2D gaming. What would it take? Would it be possible that the computer just "takes a 2D picture" of the 3D model and presents units as small gif or jpg instead of 3D models? If the player has older comp.
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                My only objection is that 3d graphics might slow things down too much.
                You wouldn't need to use the actual 3D figures themselves but you could use the 3d files as a base for the creation of 2D unit images/animation etc...Civ3 uses the same method and I believe Civ2 as well for thewonders and buildings in the special city view.

Edit: I also seem to be unable to download blender, any help?
                Seems to work when I DL it just now.

Comment

Is there some beginners-guide for blender available?
                  On the site www.blender.org is only an unfinished manual.

Comment

i have just uploaded some of my current blender stuff to ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming . this time officially GPL'd . for further details read the README file included.

Is there some beginners-guide for blender available?
                    Try the Blender 2.0 Guide . it's available online on the blender site. I have learned blender myself with that. it's a little outdated in some parts (especially the character animation), but still a very good starting point for learning the interface and basic features. the tutorials on http://www.blender3d.org are also good, although there's not much of that. and on http://www.elysiun.com/ there's a big forum with lot's of people answering your questions. hope that'll help

Comment

I've tried Blender again, following those tutorials is essential.

Comment

well, you're probably right . blender has an interface that is very different from other 3D-art programs (like 3D $tudio Max, for example ), but once you have become used to it, you will see that it's very consistent and especially fast ! making the trireme model below only took 3 or 4 hours or so (and that includes the bone system and vertex grouping). of course Blender has it's weaknesses too, but do you know a software that has none ? and you (legally) don't have to pay a cent for it ...

so here are the models i have made so far (the units and the nuke bomb are animated of course ) some of them need some further modelling and animating.

Comment

another try ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like it a lot Very cool

Comment

Very cool . Looks like another reason for me to change my resolution to 1600x1200 to minimize the loss of visible spaces.
                              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                              XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                              X