No announcement yet.

freeciv + blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want tons of new free meshes, try my AutoMagic 4D - it can convert most MS Flight Sim 2000/2002, Combat Flight Sim and other models to other formats such as DXF, 3DS, OBJ, etc. Here's the full list of supported formats... It's being developed on Windows, but it can compile on Linux without modifications (requires Plib + Fltk + Freeglut + X11 of course ). Ask me for the source code (C++, GPL, missing autoconf, build .sh included), because I haven't uploaded it yet.
    Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

I'd suggest that you could use GTK2 client and have the map area drawn with OpenGL ...
      See Mithrandir's arguments below. I think he's quite right. I think i have a nice powerful GUI concept, that allows all the features needed without being too complicated.

If you're going to allow the camera to zoom quite far in, it might also be fun to animate tiles.
      Nice Idea ! Just have to make shure the maps not to overcrowded, but that's a longterm feature anyway .

Oh, and one feature that would be very nifty would be replay ...
      Hm, i think that's more a feature for the server part . But an interesting one !

I've been trying, on and off for a time, to create an opengl client using SDL(mostly off for the past few weeks).
      Could you send me the source (lukas.toenne@web.de) ?
      I am using OpenGL (2D) functions for all graphical display (also the GUI) and will not use any SDL blitting, because afaik using textures instead of bitmap SDL surfaces is as fast or even faster and allows greater flexibility.

How would one load models?
      3DS is the most widly spread format by now, so maybe i'll use that. There is C/C++ model reading code available on the net and Blender export scripts for saving all sorts of other formats. Unfortunately Blender's native exporting capability is very poor until now, but this will probably change with the next release in a few weeks.

If you want tons of new free meshes, try my AutoMagic 4D ...
      Thanks for the offer, but i'm afraid i don't need such a tool right now . I'm using Blender for all the 3D stuff, but since Blender's native format (.blend) is binary (like .max), it can only be exported from within Blender itself, either with an export script (available) or by a built-in exporter (not yet available). Anyway, i don't know any models suitable for Freeciv, that are freely available under a public license and would perhaps require a tool like your's. Maybe if someone uses another tool for creating Freeciv models. Sorry .

Comment

What can i say? OMG

When these wonderful grfs will be ready and added to freeciv game??

Comment

This is GREAT stuf ur making skyscuffler

I just downloaded Blender to see if i can hack it :-)

Comment

skyscuffler: you can use Am4D for IMPORTING, not exporting. Blender reads DXF and this should be good enough. This way you can create hundreds of airplanes in no time, have you seen the amount of new planes in Civ3 lately (July-August)? Guess where they came from

Example:

MS Flight Sim 2002 --> AutoMagic 4D --> Blender

A lot of models for MS Flight Sim are placed in public domain, for other models ,e.g. from Avalon you'd need to ask for permission (there's no licences, but usual copyrights apply if author's name is mentioned).

Am4D is pretty much a wrapper for Plib, and it supports all formats from plib including 3DS, MAX ASCII, DXF, and plenty others. Plib is easily extensible, written in hybrid C/C++ (well, it is C++, but it looks like C).

I think Blender would benefit greatly from using a general Plib plugin, unless there's a licence conflict (Plib is LGPL).
            Last edited by maciek; October 3, 2003, 09:43.
            Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

bump

Scyscuffler, how are things coming along?

I'm eagerly awaiting the new unit graphics, they look really good.
              We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

I'm currently working on the OpenGL client GUI. It's making great progress, but right now i've also got lots of work to do for university (and that still comes first ). Code will probably be releasable before christmas, it's already quite powerful and stable. Maybe i'll also make some units, for your amusement .

Comment

Originally posted by skyscuffler
                  I'm currently working on the OpenGL client GUI. It's making great progress, but right now i've also got lots of work to do for university (and that still comes first ). Code will probably be releasable before christmas, it's already quite powerful and stable. Maybe i'll also make some units, for your amusement .
                  Great, I'm looking forward to it. I have a bunch of exams I should be studying for myself
                  We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

these look really cool.

Is there going to be 3D terrain as well? and are the models the same for all nations? i can see it would easier at first to have them be the same.

What is the file extension? i am familiar with another 3D animation/modelling program and would like to help.
                    Last edited by Mirsky; December 10, 2003, 21:14.

Comment

The file extension of Blender models is .blend

Comment

Terrific work. Something like this is not easy to do. Two thumbs up!

If you need help with the client, just ask. I am the original author of the GTK+ 1.2 and 2.0 client ports.

Comment

i am aware that this might sound gay, but maaaan i love you , you took everything i have hoped for and put it in ONE thread!
                          if you make this really happen, i PROMISE you that i will play freeciv 10 hours every day.
                          first i read and saw the 3dmodels(!! !!)
                          and then _THEN_ i just saw what you where doing, A 3D CLIENT!
                          maaaan as i sayed. i love you!
                          Last edited by skruw; December 14, 2003, 21:17.

Comment

I can use blender and i would like to help
                            is there anything i can help you with?
                            just not animals,or people

and would you give me a list of the things you have already made

Comment

how cool is this! its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                              GR8
                              WOW

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I added skyscuffler's paratrooper sprite to my dev version of the Engels tileset. It's not animated (because Freeciv still lacks an animation backend) but still looks quite cool.

The tileset will be released when 2.1 is out.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X