No announcement yet.

freeciv + blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive. Are you adding skeletons to these models?

Comment

Yes, of course. Thats the way the animations are made. I first make a mesh model in a sort of base position (see the "Leonardo"-style image below) that is easy to edit and then i add a skeleton, which transforms the mesh dynamically. Well, of course i have some base meshes and skeletons for the humans and horses so i don't have to make everything again and again . The skeleton has so called "actions", which describe the characters movement and can be switched easily.
      This is the dragoon unit:
      Attached Files

Comment

The Catapult, an easy but nice model:
        Attached Files

Comment

I've modified the units.png file from the SDL client for testing purposes. First thing i realized was that the images need some postprocessing (which i didn't do yet), especially more contrast and border outlining.
          Apart from that i think that a new tileset size would be good. At the moment we have standard tiles with a width of 64 pixels which leads to very small tiles at modern screen resolutions of 1024x768 and more. If you have a look at the civ3 graphics you will see that the tiles are relatively big compared to the units, which allows for example more beautiful proportions between land units and ships. In the meantime there is so much graphical detail combined on one tile (base tile, specials, irrigation, units ...) that it's often hard to get all the info that should be clearly visible at the first sight.

I suppose we introduce a new tileset size of perhaps 96 pixels in width (that's the size civ3 uses too). Whoever will do that ...
          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool.
            What are the units on the bottom row? I recognize most of the others, but those are unfamiliar.
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

The units on the bottom row are not used.

skyscuffler: The units in the units.png look bad compared to the same units in the other screenshots. Palette problems, perhaps?

While larger tile size will allow nicer graphics, it means less viewable tiles. Almost all veteran players favour more viewable tiles over good graphics, since it gives a tactical advantage.

I guess the best would be to have an OpenGL renderer in the client, which could scale everything to whatever size the player desires.

Comment

Yes, but Freeciv has a fixed tileset. You can't zoom out for a better overview unlike the multiple zoom levels in Civ2 (yes graphics got clipped/degraded/reduced to dots on higher zoom levels but it worked fine for getting a general overview).

I know there have been some attempts at introducing a zoom function in Freeciv (Teamciv used it). Wouldn't this work better if you had a high resolution tileset to start with? Or perhaps use multiple tilesets with different tilesizes (16,32,64,128x128)?
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

The units in the units.png look bad compared to the same units in the other screenshots. Palette problems, perhaps?
                  As i said, they need some postprocessing. I have to try out different ways of rendering, scaling, etc. to get them look good.

I finished the legion and the paratrooper. Can't wait to see these in action !
                  Attached Files

Comment

That paratrooper looks great!
                    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Yep, this looks absolutely fabulous. I am thinking of adding a frontpage story about this on www.freeciv.org. Got some more screenshots? Everybody love screenshots :-)

Comment

Great Idea !

Should i upload those screens to the ftp server ? Do you mean in-game screen shots and/or some with the Blender stuff ? I think making some animated GIFs for demonstrating animation would be good, since you can't see this in a screeshot . I'm experimenting with rendering- and posprocessing parameters to make them look better.

Comment

Uh, I don't know. Anything that looks good. You could upload it to ftp://upload.freeciv.org/ and post URLs to it here. Perhaps also a tarball of the most recent blender files, for other blender users.

Comment

These look great! Any chance of getting animated units in a future release?

Comment

Yes, we're talking about adding support for animations.

Comment

I've just uploaded some demo stuff to ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/blender_demo.tar.bz2 .I hope that's what you need for the web page. The content of the files should be clear by their names, otherwise ask me .

Comment

Working...
                                X