freeciv + blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It IS cool and its for Freeciv? Ten thumbs up
    The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
    - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

i've made two more meshes, the caravel and the fighter plane (see below). at moment i'm mainly concentrating on the unit meshes instead of animating the bone actions, because it's perhaps a good idea to use the still images of the units as long as there is no support for animation and to get an impression of the overall look. furthermore i think we should discuss what different action animations of the units we really need, so there is no abundant work done. so here's my suggestion:

- for standing (non-moving) units that are SELECTED (that's only one unit at a time of course) we can use a slow animation that simplifies their recognition on the map (think of planes hovering in the air, going up and down slowly). for all other inactive units still images could be used.

- for movement there must of course be at least one animation (there are different possibilities for movement starting/ending and so on, but one anim should be enough for the start). it's important that this one is fast enough to prevent it from slowing down gameplay !

- for fighting it might be usefull to have 3 anims:
      one "dying" animation for the unit that looses the fight and is destroyed, and an attacking/defending animation for the other one (depending on whether it's the attacking unit or not), that is displayed at the same time.

there should also be a couple of special anims for settlers, spies, etc. and all animations should be rendered in 8 directions (which could increase the required amount of memory and downloading pretty much, so unit animations should remain an optional feature !)
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great
        We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Can you send a in-game pic with those
          The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
          - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

wow

Comment

That caravel and fighter plane are good stuff. How do you it? Do you start from scratch or do you have some basic 3D forms to work with?

In the meantime i've tried out some tutorials and only managed to create my own tubes and cubes in Blender. They're very nice tubes and cubes though.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

for most models i first have a look at the internet via google to find some images of the object i want to model. it's best to have images in the classic top/front/side constellation, but that's often hard to find. in blender it's possible to use an image as background of a 3d window, so you can directly form the object's shape. anyway, the best image has to be in your head.

my modeling technique is based on the extrusion tool in most cases: i start with a simple circle (with only about 4-10 vertices, since we want to have low-poly-models and modeling is easier then) and then i use the extrusion tool to form the faces. i often form the object in one "dimension" after the other, meaning i first only watch the object from the side and when the shape looks ok, i go on with the front side and so on. many models are symmetrical, so it's often a goo idea to only form one side of it, and after it's roughly finished, i copy and mirror the vertices and ...

well, i think that's enough for now . have you tried that castle tutorial yet? it's good for learning extrusion and that's the most important mesh editing tool.

Comment

So here's the next two units, the Phalanx and the Archer:
                  Attached Files

Comment

... and the settler (i'll make a new ftp upload soon):
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow skyscuffler, by the time you're finished FreeCiv should look excellent.

Comment

hey, that's what the whole thing is about, isn't it !?

the musketeer and the submarine (don't be surprised about the relative size, that's just a matter of rendering) :
                        Attached Files

Comment

the destroyer (the ships will all get some water- and spray effects later):
                          Attached Files

Comment

I just had a look at the web site and saw Blender 2.28 is available ! A lot of things have been improved, such as the python scripting system.

Several people have talked about doing an opengl client or adding opengl to existing clients, but the biggest hurdle has always been the lack of 3d art.
                            I've also thought about that. Blender has a realtime engine for making 3D games. I've never really worked with that before, so i don't know how if and how it could be integrated in the freeciv client sourcecode. It also seems to be designed especially for 3D action games and might not be suitable for complex strategy games like freeciv.
                            Apart from that it is a quite young feature that is strongly being developed by now, so maybe even if that isn't possible now, it might be in the future. Anyway, having animated 2D graphics would be a great step forward.

Comment

Here's the horseman: This is probably the most complex model until now, because of the additional horse skeleton (especially those $/"=!"# front legs ) and the bow. Anyway, the other models will be quite easier.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Won't the knight, chariot, dragoon, and cavalry units be just as hard?
                                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                                XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                                X