civ 1 compatability mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ 1 compatability mode

after year of it being at the bottom of my games pile i decided to go on civ1 again, but when i went on it it ran really slowly, a friend told me there was a compatability mode and I found it once a few years back but i cant find it any more, Can anyone tell me how to find the civilisation 1 compatability mode?

Which OS are you running?

Comment

I suspect you mean Win98 compatibility mode (which AFAIK only exists in WinXP, maybe in Win2k too).

If so, you can right-click the civ.exe file, select Properties and then go to the Compatibility tab. There you can set the compatibility mode (to Win98 or Win95).

It often also helps to play around a bit with the other settings on that tab and on other tabs, especially memory and display, to see what gives the best results.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Yea it was XP i found it in but i never knew if it was only XP the mode was in, I have 2000 and its not on the properties box I have also fiddled about with the other tabs to no avail,

Thanks anyway

Comment

also if you run win98 it can be dead slow.. there are ways to fix that by memory management for DOS programms, but it's hard.... in XP, just do Win95 comp mode and you should be fine.

Comment

Are you runnig the DOS or the Windows version?
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

DOS version here, and it's slowed down to hell by Win98. But I think I made it run properly in DOS mode.

Comment

DOS version runs best from a clean DOS boot, prefereable for a boot disk or BOOT CD (I'm about to make a CD with all my old games, which I can put in and play with DOS when I need to. Maybe even make it run Win3.1 on the DISC (the space should be enough))

But it's only on project state at the moment. (I.e I'm digging among my old disks to find DOS and Win3.1 floppys)

Comment

even with a DOs boot it doesn't always run well... depends how much base memory is eaten by that SYSTEM component, don't ask me how to affect that one... if it eats more than 100K (of 640), you can forget running Civ even in DOS because it requires like 540 or so...

Comment

I know how to configure DOS. I've done it for years

All I need is to get my project working creating that CD-BOOT with all files on, and maybe crating a small 100MB FAT16 partision for Saved games and other stuff as an CD is read only.

It's just too mush of a project right now, and a little far from being reality. (As my DOS installation disks are about 400 km away from me right now)

Comment

Then can you tell me what the 'system' component is and how I keep it low at resource eating?

Comment

It depends on what DOS version you are runing, but you should try to have DOS=HIGH,UMA in config .sys, and for that to work correctly you need to load himem.sys and emm386.exe. The later with some flags depending on what DOS verion you are trying to run and if you are going to have it running together with Windows (and in that case what version) or not.

It's a case to case scenario.

Comment

yeah, I do emm386 noems/ram

I run Win98, don't know what the DOS version is but I think it's 7...

Comment

Ecthelion,

You are talking about the DOS-version of Windoofs? That's 7.22 IIRC. If you want to keep the resources down:

1.) chech in the autoexec.bat and config,sys for uneccessary drivers, like scanner, joystick, stuff like this.
                            2.) Remove this stuff mentioned in 1.
                            3.) check with mem /s /p in this window for the ammount of menory (best post the result).

I won't be in tomorrow, back in on Monday..........

Comment

Do you get the high memory to work?

Or is ther no high memory.
                              Also are you using 98 or 98SE?

Comment

Working...
                              X