Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm ready, y'all

I'm good to go!

Let me know when my turn has come...for the glory of the empire! Victory and honor! (and all that patriotic rubbish)
    No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Geez, how long do I have to be a settler? You guys make me feel like I just started playing civ1 again.

Comment

Welcome sirsnuggles - go get the HG!
        LaFayette - could you follow sirsnuggles
        SCG provisionally follows you

Let's play Horde!

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Play order updated - hope I didn't miss anyone - if I did shout loudly ...

This could be tough - slow start, expensive martial law and grim terrain - dustbowl as STYOM so accurately states.

SG[1]

Comment

975: Exploring
            950: Exploring
            925: Sleeping
            900: Advanced tribe encountered! Inhabitants assimilated into the Mongol horde. New city named Kashgar.
            875: Southeast Highway completed; linking the great cities Samarkand, Nishapur, and Karakorum.
            850: The capitol decides that a temporary food deficit worth moving production from fish to oil. Only –1 gold, but a +3 shield yield.
            825: The Khan codifies the first laws, consolidating the Mongol horde under one authority. She decides that, since the Mongol horde is confined within the limiting boundaries of an island, triremes are needed to press invasion upon the surrounding empires. The changing of production saved 31 (32-1) gold towards the erecting of a wonder.
            800: Continuing investigation of the Mongol hinterland. Excellent opportunities for expansion sighted in the Northeast. Whales!
            775: Historic oil pipeline constructed in the deserts near Karakorum.
            750: Settlers embark from Samarkand, since rapid fertility rates are expected, city planners seek to erect granaries to accommodate the baby boom. Rumors reach Mongolia that some foreign people will soon complete a glorious wonder. Yet, the vanity of the Khan seems to be reaching Colossal heights. Elephants burst into a village in the Northeast; submissive inhabitants offer new Construction techniques to appease the wrath of the Khan.
            725: It is said that fabled Paris builds Flower Pots that hang in the sky? The Khan’s supercilious appetite has nearly starved the capital. At long last she permits fishing to recommence. She scoffs at the idea of gardens hanging in the skies, and declares in a rather surly manner, “Surely they are too close to the sun and shall be burned.” She seems intent upon honoring herself.
            700: Ever exploring, seeking new undiscovered lands.
            675: Rheims becomes Philosophical hub. Bokhara seeks to settle the surrounding countryside.
            650: What to do?
            625: Nishapur builds second settler unit destined to build new colony at 185,87--near wheatlands. Perhaps Nishapur will take advantage of the growth lull to build a Temple. Coastal city of Tabriz founded, it’s primary resources located in a nearby wheat field that already contain road and irrigation! --Apparently the benefits of foresight. Tabriz seeks to setup defensive perimeter.
            600: Revenue now reaches 5 g/t. Science each 19t.
            575: The current Demographics Yearbook (f11) reports that the Mongol nation is the most productive at 55. It is said that the Carthaginian ruler also seeks to glorify himself with a Colossal achievement. Who shall reach this goal first?!
            550: Rumors circulate that the Celtic peoples begin building Great Tombs to honor their dead rulers. How strange.
            525: Dual irrigation projects commence near the fertile plains of Samarkand.
            500: Persians seem to be attempting to stockpile Books of Learning.

The Empire still flounders in mediocrity, yet organization gradually nears. Highways exist in the Southeast, and the beginnings of a highway that shall link the southeast to the projected city (in the southcentral) site of 185,87 are being laid. Soon communications between the western cities of Bokhara and Kashgar shall be streamlined by yet another highway. Tabriz grows at breathtaking speed. The Samarkand irrigation projects shall one day lead to its rapid rise to greatness. The Khan is only moments away from completing a great Monument to herself that should attract merchants from across the worlds, perhaps even from France. And to the north, our explorers report the island may not really be an island, but that it seems to extend further north and east, yet only further investigation shall reveal the truth of the matter. The great problem that exists for the next ruler, is that Karakorum lacks sustenance. How shall it eat?
            Attached Files

Comment

General strategy conference notes for LaFayette: Well, if you can curtail Khan Bortei from her extravagant lifestyle, perhaps you can persuade her into building an Oracle. To solve both food and production problems for Karakorum: build irrigation ditches all the way from the ocean nearby Nishapur to the buffalo of K. Also, try building irrigation near the lake of Karakorum (will give an extra shield over the fish). Don't worry, Monarchy will soon be coming after map making. Monarchy didn't appear as a choice, so I had to go with map making instead.

Temples needed in each of the cities. Well, those were my long term goals. Couldn't get there in time...

Comment

Sounds like good turns, sirsnuggles Too bad about the French getting the Gardens... but I don't know how we could have beaten them, with the production level we had.

If you look in the Apolyton FAQ there should be a table which explains how long you're a Settler for (first 30 posts, IIRC). It also explains a lot of the forum rules if you're interested (no spamming to get those first 30 posts ).
                Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; July 6, 2003, 09:05.
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Who needs Gardens in the Sky :sob:!!
                  Looks like we go for Mike's instead - hint, hint ...
                  Good turns sirsnuggles - go for it LaFayette ..

SG[1]

Comment

Yeah, I would've moved production to the desert oil earlier, but I didn't have any food reserve to cover the shortage. I could've canabalized all of our units but that would have left us defenseless and led to an even worse fate. I usually have bad luck when I do that sort of thing.

Yeah, Mike's will have to become our saving grace...I don't know that the Oracle is worth it, we can probably survive without it. We'll just need 3 units garrisoned in each city for a while.

We really can't compete with Paris right now (not enough irrigation yet). It is a size 8, our little Karakorum is only size 3. But that makes sense really, Mongols don't really like settling down...their kinda nomadic...into building (or capturing) new cities.

I hope you guys like the organization I tried bringing. The real Mongol empire collapsed because they couldn't control such a large space with the network they developed, hopefully the same will not happen to us!

Comment

Re: Mongol Horde Succession Game

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                      There is only one rule:

If it doesn't have four legs, wheels, tracks, floats or flies - it's not allowed.

The SGs surprisingly sober
                      Keep sober, please!
                      I'm not sure I have completely understood the rule:
                      4 legs = I understand
                      4 wheels = I understand
                      4 tracks = ?
                      4 floats = ?
                      4 flies = ?

(La Fayette, with a thick dictionary close by)
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

La Fayette ... the ordinary "human" units are NOT allowed. Like Warriors, Archers, Musketeers etc.

(Settlers/Engineers are OK)

Tracks was a reference to Armour, Flies to Aircraft and Floats to Boats ... these units are allowed

------------------

SG(2)

Comment

BTW La Fayette. I think I might be building a phalanx in one of the cities.

Please remedy that error. Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                            Tracks was a reference to Armour, Flies to Aircraft and Floats to Boats ... these units are allowed
                            ------------------

SG(2)
                            This is what I had guessed (but the way it was written I haven't been taught at school, that's why I asked: just to make sure; thanks)

Comment

The rain in Spain is falling in the plain

La Fayette comes to power, looks at the Empire and almost starts crying:
                              500BC, we have 12 techs and haven't even started researching MONARCHY
                              Plains, lots of plains are to be seen around us, but this is not Spain, the rain isn't falling and our glorious cities are STARVING
                              All the predecessors who neglected researching techs along the path to Monarchy should be sent to THE INSTITUTE

Well, LF knows what remains to be done: finish Colossus ASAP to increase research 'speed', and try to grow Samarkand to size 5 in order to start Xinning.

Main events:
                              400BC: Our brave ellie tips a hut full of bloodthirsty barbs and dies
                              350BC : Our coneheads (a very, very tiny cone indeed) discover Map Making and start researching MONARCHY
                              25BC: Monarchy discovered and established

Lf is tired and retires
                              Attached Files

Comment

Would love to join in if there's still space...
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X