Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongol Horde Succession Game

There is only one rule:

If it doesn't have four legs, wheels, tracks, floats or flies - it's not allowed.
    (Since when did a Mongol walk!)
    Only exception Settlers and Engineers are permitted

That means NO Dips and NO Spies - Magically appearing Partisans must be disbanded as must any non-permitted mercenary units from huts

All city improvements and WoWs are permitted - normal rules ie No rehoming of 'Vans, and on this occasion we will not impose our usual Spotless caveat

We are on a Giga World - win by any means that seems appropriate at the time

At 1AD - if there are enough of us - we may split into two games - one for conquest and one for the stars

================================================== =============================

4000BC = The proud Mongols elect Bortei to be their first war chief and she takes the title Khan. The Mongols start with Bronze Working, Ceremonial Burial and Horsemanship. A hut is found at (209, 93). Hut reveals perfectly legitimate Non-Chariot!
    3950BC = Chariot sights next hut - Settlers head for 4 special sweet spot.
    3900BC = Hut reveals Mysticism - quite useful with expensive martial law!
    3800BC = Hut reveals Currency - on the way ...
    3750BC = the sweet spot is Fish, Desert Oil, Buffalo and hidden - seed is 8 - the smart money is on a Pheasant - not the most hopeful of science sites. Second Settler goes South in hope of finding a 'Whale Band'.
    3700BC = Hut gives Polytheism - our first tech towards Monarchy is going to cost a fortune! We're going to play Nomad for a while.
    3500BC = hidden now has road
    3400BC = Hut conceals illegal Archer - disbanded (sob);
    3150BC = Ching - hut yields 50g;
    3100BC = Cunning villagers teach us Masonry;
    3000BC = Smart money was wrong - hidden turns out to be Silk;
    2950BC = A Non-Elephant joins our ranks;
    2850BC = Karakorum founded - go for rush Settler;
    2750BC = Chariot tips hut and reveals Barb Horse on Forest - goes into red killing it - no vet!
    2650BC = Elephant finds Whale band sweet spots - a million miles from anywhere!
    2550BC = Karakorum rushes Settler;
    2500BC = Villagers give us the secret of Pottery
    2450BC = Samarkand founded
    2400BC = Bokhara discovered far to the North
    2350BC = Nishapur founded; Elephant unleashes Barb and becomes vet
    2100BC = Villagers teach us the art of Archery Warrior Code
    2050BC = Khan Bortei retires suffering from Piles (of useless tech)

The grand plan is to complete the Temple in Karakorum and then switch to the Gardens - we need many more cities - hopefully in the North and West where there are plentiful whales - corruption will be awful but what must be must be - please sign up and play twenty turns ...

Play Order

1) SG[1] - 20 turns
    2) SG(2) - 20 turns
    3) STYOM - 20 turns
    4) sirsnuggles - 20 turns
    5) LaFayette
    6) SCG
    etc ...

The SGs surprisingly sober
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scouse Gits; July 6, 2003, 10:02.
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I'll give it a go. Sign me up!

Taking the save; be back later today with some progress hopefully.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

2050: Looks at the allocation of workers, sees we are about 12 turns from Alphabet, sighs, presses enter.

2000: Exploring... Whale/Buffalo/Peat site spotted E of Bokhara. Lots of good city sites near Bokhara; need cash to rush some Settlers there. We might even want to move the Palace up to that area, to (eventually)
      1950: Some semidecent city sites near our capital (Silk/Buffalo to the west, Fish/Buffalo to the north) will be targeted for settlement, soon. Yes, we would rather be building near the Whales - but the extra trade and shields from Whales would be lost to corruption at this stage of the game, anyway.
      1900: Exploring. Horsemen rushed in Bokhara to prevent disorder.
      1850: Bokhara hits size 2. Tried putting all workers in the water for trade, but all 4 arrows were lost to corruption
      1800: More exploring.
      1750: More exploring. Nishapur size 2, starts Settler.
      1700:
      1650:
      1600: Karakorum size 2, rush Temple. Science rate drops from 22 to 15 turns.
      1550: Temple in Karakorum. Start to build HG. Alphabet discovered; really no debate involved as we decide to research Code of Laws.
      1500: Science Minister says we're #1 still.
      1450: French start HG
      1400: Samarkand builds Settlers. With some debate, it is decided to Road the Buffalo near Karakorum and then add them to the city.
      1350: Exploring.
      1300: Exploring. Where are all the huts?
      1250: Settlers added to Karakorum (size 3) to speed Garden production.
      1200: Exploring
      1150: Exploring
      1100: Nomads at 201, 69.
      1050: 50 g at 207,71.
      1000: Egyptians start Pyramids.

STYOM looks over the dustbowl of a map, shakes his head, and passes the torch of leadership.

Well, the good news is... OK, the situation is thus: We're still a long way away from Monarchy (about 10 turns from CoL). We're in a wonder race for HG with a size 7 city (Paris), and our capital can't grow without Monarchy (or some serious work being done on the terrain). Lots of good city sites abound... this may become an ICS game, since there's lots of room to expand.
      Attached Files

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I'd like to give this a shot. I'm a new member to the forum (I think this is my fourth or fifth post), so I'd need instructions on just what is expected. I'm a veteran player, been playin' since civ1 (1991), but I've got an unusual style. Perfectionist really. Tend to build up and modernize cities.
        No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

looks interesting - depending on what happens with my work schedule change, i may get more time during the week where i may be able to play. if so, i may throw my hat into this one - will know more by thursday.
          Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Originally posted by sirsnuggles
            I'd like to give this a shot. I'm a new member to the forum (I think this is my fourth or fifth post), so I'd need instructions on just what is expected. I'm a veteran player, been playin' since civ1 (1991), but I've got an unusual style. Perfectionist really. Tend to build up and modernize cities.
            other than following the rules set forth in the thread itself, and not using anything generally agreed upon as a cheat (ie reloading, caravan rehoming, looking at map in cheat mode, etc), just play and have fun

and of course be prepared for robust constructive critisism (and don't take anything written here too seriously, its just a game )
            Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Originally posted by SCG

and of course be prepared for robust constructive critisism (and don't take anything written here too seriously, its just a game )
              If sirsnuggles can get the HG, there'll be no criticism from me

Comment

Okay, I'm still learning the civ2 vernacular, although I can guess at most of it: but what is "caravan rehoming"?

Also, I assume that reloading means: saving a game, and when it goes bad, reloading a previous save? Or perhaps it means: no writing new events (like creating units) into an events file that require reloading.

What does this mean:
                If sirsnuggles can get the HG, there'll be no criticism from me

Comment

Oh, I get it. HG is hanging gardens.

Okay. I'll take the .sav and go with it. I have to go to a wedding this afternoon, so I won't be able to have this finished until tomorrow morning or so. I suppose twenty turns is the standard.

Comment

Okay, I'm still learning the civ2 vernacular, although I can guess at most of it: but what is "caravan rehoming"?
                    Building a caravan in a small city, moving it to a big, productive city and hitting the 'home to this city' option in the city view window, is not allowed.

And, yes, don't mess with the save file - no reloading bad hut or battle outcomes, no modified rules files allowed, etc.

Oh, and you need the Multiplayer Gold version of Civ as opposed to Classic (2.42) to load the savegame above.

Comment

aiaiaiai!!!!

I don't have mge.

I hear that there is a converter, however, would that work?

Where can I get MGE, anyways. THat's kinda old isn't it?

Comment

aiaiaiai!!!!

I don't have mge.

amazon.com will probably have it. What version do you have? Periodically, people play Test of Time, or Classic (2.42) succession games... but mainly it's MGE here.

Comment

A quatre pattes.
                          I'm in.
                          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by SCG
                            (and don't take anything written here too seriously, its just a game )
                            It's much more serious than that! I stay up late writing recommendations for the Institute.

Thank you STYOM

Welcome to sirsnuggles if you can sort out MGE and the Giga patch. I hope you can join us soon.

In the meantime La Fayette is our man of the moment! Good Luck!

SCG - I hope you will join us after a glorious period of French domination!

------------------------

SG(2)
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

aiaiaiai!!!!

I don't have mge.

Try going to the Civ fanatics centre - but you didn't hear it from me.

RJM pretending not to be at Sleepers
                              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Working...
                              X