Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was 1999 the best year for strategy games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was 1999 the best year for strategy games?

1999 saw the release of SMAC, AOK and Starcraft. And Pharoah.

In follow ups to existing series, Imp2, Close Combat 4, Civ:Test of Time. And two versions of TOAW (Kosovo and Modern Battles)

In fantasy, Age of Wonders, 7K2, King of Dragon Pass.

A broad range of acclaimed and successful games, in all sub-genres (TBS, RTS, city builders and War-historical) in all themes (history, scifi, and fantasy) including completely new games, follow ups to existing series, and new games inspired by existing games (the first three above)

So is that the peak year for strategy gaming, the comparison for subsequent years?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Certainly a high point.

Comment

1. StarCraft was released in 98.
      2. AOK, StarCraft, and Pharaoh suck.
      3. Never really got into 7K2.:P
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

some good titles..i fear the good tbs days are over
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Not really... the best year of strategy, was the year, where they actually released some good strategy games (Which was earlier)
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
            1. StarCraft was released in 98.
            2. AOK, StarCraft, and Pharaoh suck.
            3. Never really got into 7K2.:P

I wasnt evaluating each individual game - i havent played many of them - i was thinking more in terms of sales, influence on other games, and general reputation. Even with that i may have made some errors in my list - though i was looking more for titles i overlooked, or years that were better, than which ones werent really good.

I was thinking more in terms of the rise and fall of the genre - in the way it widely held that RPG's went into decline, then were revived, or that adventure games and flight sims are in decline.

A year that has many games that expand the genre, improve on or expand predecessors, innovate in various ways, gain sales, bring people to the hobby, and influence later games would be my definition of a good year.

Sorry about the error on starcraft - i got that from a website (not the publisher's)
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What ever year Europa Universalis was released was the best year for strategy games. (outside of the good ol' days, of course )
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And also CtP was released that yeart.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  And also CtP was released that yeart.
                  I'm begining to think it was the worst year. Horrid games.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                    What ever year Europa Universalis was released was the best year for strategy games. (outside of the good ol' days, of course )
                    wasnt that 2000?

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      I agree wholeheartly! Not to talk about EU2, which is multiple times better! This year might also be good in that regard, as both Victoria and Crusader Kings(CK) is underway!
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nah. While both Alpha Centauri and AoW are excellent games, they weren't groundbreaking. Sure, AC is a significant improvement over Civ 2, still, it's evolutionary.

I would say 1989 (Civ) and 1994 (UFO). [I am not sure about the exact years, however]

Now the year when The Sims was released is definitely a bad year.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Civ2 and Moo2

C.

Comment

The last very good year, yes. I remember that after that, there was just a drought for awhile where there weren't any good strategy games. That's recovered somewhat recently, but WarCraft III alone can't save things.

Interestingly enough, I finally bought CTP a few days back. For a dollar. AFter a bit of play, I'm thinking that's precisely what it's worth, although I need to try out Vel's much lauded changes.
                            All syllogisms have three parts.
                            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by catullus
                              Civ2 and Moo2

C.
                              1996 - Civ2 and MOO2. evolutionary or not, the most influential (most widely sold?) titles in their respective series, perhaps in their respective subgenres.

Also, Caesar 2. Conquest of the New World. Age of Sail.

and, for wargamers, Close Combat, RELee:CWG, and 3 battlefront games.

So yeah, I'd say you're right. 1996 rather than 1999.

Comment

Working...
                              X