Hypocrisy over a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrisy over a game?

So, I work for a PR-related firm, and we recently were approached about doing some work for Take Two Interactive. Take Two, as most of you probably know, is a software publishing company, and the most famous of their products is probably the Grand Theft Auto series, which has inspired no small amount of controversy.

I had actually been intrigued by this work and was hoping to work on the account, since I have a keen interest in computer games and would like to work with such a company.

Well, I was told by the SVP I work for that, in no uncertain terms we would not work for Take Two. She explained that they found GTA too violent and therefore they had moral objections to the client. This was all based on assumptions, mind you, as nobody at my firm, including myself, has played the game.

If my firm was consistent in this, I'd have no problem. But the only other company we have refused to work for based on such a moral objection was Phillip Morris. We have done work and are doing ongoing work for clients such as:

GE (like pollution?)
    Enron
    Global Crossing
    Sony Pictures (wonder if they've ever released a violent film?)
    Showtime
    HBO (Oz, anyone?)
    Exxon

And many others. On top of that, two years ago we did work for a major Southern company of global proportions who committed blatant, obvious sexual orientation discrimination, but we looked the other way and are continuing to work for them. Now, this was not illegal, unfortunately, but you'd think my firm would have, given its stated preference for making moral decisions with clients, had the cajones to walk away, since we profess to abhor such discrimination.

So I guess I learned it wasn't a moral objection to the product/actions of a company, it was the chicken****tedness of management, as they just don't want to be seen taking on a controversial client.

In conclusion, I just went out and bought GTA III.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Ha, I stole Gta 3... and 1 and 2... etc... lol

Comment

This isn't about you, little man. Avaunt, avaunt.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

What do I now not have the right to comment on your threads, are you so above me or something....?

And I did steal GTA... I wasn't lying.

Comment

No, Thorn, but your comment was useless. This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. Instead of posting a comment/reaction to my post, you just came up with a nonsequiter that gloated about your stealing the game, trying to draw attention to what you think must be a cool act. Yes, pirating software is so daring.

It's not all about you.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

No I was just pointing out the irony of stealing a game that teaches people to steal things.... but you blew up at me.... I'm starting to dislike you...

Comment

Begone, wretch!
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Look the last 5 posts of your topic has been spent arguing with me when you could have just ignored the comment... and I wouldn't have said another thing...

Comment

And Thorn... discussing theft of software isn't allowed at Apolyton... so if you want to continue posting this week... chill...

The Advertising Agency I used to work for had a more realistic view toward clients. When we did background checks on potential clients, we really didn't care about the products... we were more concerned if they had a track record for paying their bills on time.

The big joke around the agency was when people asked why we didn't have a tobacco account, we would say "Nah... against agency policy".... but in reality, it was because we couldn't land one, not for lack of trying
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Boris, if a company has a policy, it has to stick to it. I can understand you seeing it as illogical or hypocrisy but it's not your judgement call.
                    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Is there any use for this thread besides a catfight?

Oh, and EVC, I haven't banned you for a long time, now. We're about do, so chill, or else you know the drill.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Slow server connection to here let Ming get here first again. Damn.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                          Boris, if a company has a policy, it has to stick to it. I can understand you seeing it as illogical or hypocrisy but it's not your judgement call.
                          Did I say it was my call? How could I do anything but stick to it? Work for Take Two in secret?

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy, because it amuses me. The policy isn't a written one, it's ad hoc, and as I demonstrated, inconsistent. Basically, they refuse to work for someone based on second-hand conjecture and cowardice. Then they pat themselves on the back for thinking they made some sort of moral stand. I think that's worthy of my scorn!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                            But, if that policy isn't applied across the board, then it is a useless policy.

In boris's example:

1.Sexually descrimination is okay. They work for a company that does this.

2. A product that simulates violence and illegal activity, is the reason they don't take the Take Two account.

Seems stupid to me.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                              Is there any use for this thread besides a catfight?
                              Please. It is a little tiring to hear this every time two gay posters argue with each other.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X