Can't patch civworld - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't patch civworld - help

I've been trying to install civworld on Linux Redhat 9. I've downloaded the freeciv 1.14 source files, and I think that I've compiled them correctly (at least I can run the server by typing 'ser' in the server directory) but I can't get the patch to work for civworld. I've typed in the command as stated in the readme file (patch -pl < /..../civworld-1.14.0.diff-against-freeciv) but I get the following error statement:

*** strip count 1 is not a number

and then nothing is installed for the civworld program.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks

I guess this is the signal for me to try civworld. Hopefully somebody more knowledgable than me still visits this forum.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

Is it rare to find anyone knowledgeable here? Of course, I've only been running Linux for only 3 months now, so I'm very much a newbie myself. Has anyone at all tried civworld, and if we can't find such types on this forum, is there anywhere else to go?

Comment

I hate fonts where 1's look like l's . Need I say more?
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

Thanks

That solved it. I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be.
          Last edited by pcelella; June 21, 2003, 07:25.

Comment

Well, actually, it's only partial success. I can get the patch to run on the source files, and it appears to compile successfully when I type './autogen.sh && make', but when I try to run civworld by typing ./make in the source directory, I get the following error:

./map: line 27: /home/peter/src/freeciv-1.14.0/civworld: is a directory
            ./map: line 27: exec: /home/peter/src/freeciv-1.14.0/civworld: cannot execute: Success

and then the program terminates.

Lost again.

Comment

Here is the exact command line I used for the patch:

patch -p1 -i civworld-1.14.0.diff-against-freeciv

Select, copy, paste, avoid typos and misinterpretation. Make sure you adjust the path to the diff file appropriately.
              XGalaga.

Comment

No good - I tried this also, even copy and pasted it and changed the paths. The patch seems to run fine, but after compiling and making, then I get the error when I try to run ./map. When I checked the map file, it calls for civworld in the civworld directory. The make process did create a civworld directory, but there's no copy of civworld in that directory. Could this have something to do with dependencies? If so, that seems weird since freeciv without the patch compiles fine. I'm using Redhat 9 - is there some way to check if I have everything installed I need - just in case that is the problem.
                Last edited by pcelella; June 22, 2003, 08:52.

Comment

Okay - figured it out.

I installed all the Gnome Development packages included with Redhat 9, and now everything works perfectly.

Sometimes you just can't see the obvious. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X