No announcement yet.

Favorite Race in MOM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using a lot of trolls in my last few games, and have really gained some respect for their regeneration ability. The great thing about regeneration is not the tactical map 1HP/turn recovery (although that's nice to have), it's the army's immunity to attrition. When the AI throws some random creatures at your stack and nukes you with a couple fireballs, your dead units spring back to life, fully healed, after the combat is over. I've been building stacks of trolls who rampage around the map, continuously at full strength after every battle. In my current game, I think I've only lost 4 units permanently.

I've pretty much given up on using trolls as a capital race, but their cities make great recruitment stations. Who cares how unhappy they are, as long as they keep cranking out the war trolls?

Comment

One thing to try with trolls, is start out as em, have enough Nature grimories to garentee(almost anyway) "Move Fortress" and jump to a Dwarven, Dark Elf or Draconian city.

Comment

Gnolls get you wolfriders. Early.

'Nuff said.

Comment

I also like the barbarians because of the growth rate.

Comment

Its good to still see this thread still kicking around.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It also depends if you are playing a particular "sub-game" - so I just won a No Magic game (no spellcasting whatsoever) with dwarves but playing a OCC (only one city allowed) I chose dark elves because of the ability to construct (nearly) all the buildings and the mix of units.

Dark elf cavalry are surprisingly effective - the good stuff of Horsebowmen (with ranged attack and 2 movement) PLUS regular cavalry (first strike ability)

Comment

Trolls with death magic may be a good combination too.
                Nah, I always loved the joyous irony of life magic trolls. And war trolls with lionheart are very yummy. Also good for a quick start since with regeneration its really easy to thump most any nuetral city early in the game quite easily.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I finally discovered how to play Draconians: build lots of bowmen. At a cost of only 45 to build (=1 gold support ), they are cheap to build, and only require a couple buildings. Sure, their stats are pretty poor, but at least half of the enemies out there can't touch them, so you can fly up to point-blank range and kill everyone with arrows. Buff them up with adamantium and some helpful magic (eldritch weapon, flame blade, holy weapon, etc.) and they start becoming a real force. Merging/teleporting units like great wyrms and unicorns that give fits to slingers or longbowmen are helpless against flyers. Flying speed of 2 gives very good movement on the strategic map, and is helpful on the tactical map against units that can hit you (back up one, shoot; hope you can kill the hell hound/basilisk/gargoyle/etc. before it closes to melee range). Just watch out for giant spiders...

Comment

Working...
                  X