Favorite Race in MOM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Race in MOM?

Exactly what the post title is! Too many options for poll (hehe, too lazy to put 'em all in).

My favorite is hafling, because it's the only race I can beat impossible with

I like the barbarians for their beserkers. Elves are good, too, when I plan on running a Magic intesive campaign.

Comment

I tended to always play nomads unless i had a racial goal. rangers are fast which is really important in the early game, not too hard to get, but pathetically weak unless you get a few of the military buildings. money is just as good as mana, even better if you have alchemy.

on blitz campaigns, i sometimes built 1-2 rangers, and bought any mercenary units i could, and sent them out. if i had time, i would wait until i had groups of ranger regulars.

very important though to get engineers in this strat. i tried to avoid keeping klackon cities though. i generally crossed my fingers and hoped merc engineers would show up. It appears that the racial road gold bonus stacks with regular road gold bonii.

Comment

I too tend to play the Nomads most, though in Myrror it's the Dwarves. I guess I just like that gold. The Nomads can also build a lot of buildings, which is cool.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I've always been partial to halflings, whether on Arcanus or Myrror.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I like to spread it around, play with a different race each time. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be High Men. Paladins are the only units you can build (as opposed to summon) which can stand up to monsters with powerful magic attacks like Demon Lords, Gorgons and Drakes.
            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

High men on Arcanus, Draconians on Myrror.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Can't fault Static for speaking up for the highmen... There isn't much they can't do. Once you get paladins you have one serious defender for your cities and a potent offensive threat to take over cities and nodes. Hard to top their inate protection from magic...

The halfing is nice for his slingers. Especially early on and if you have heroism you can make some very powerful little critters. With heroism and the warlord pick you can't do serious damage to just about everything on the battlefield with a nice stack of slingers...
                A penny saved today is a penny spent tomorrow. - MFDII

Comment

My problem with high men is that their super units come soo late in the game. They're no better than orcs until you spend thousands of shields and countless turns building every single structure in a city. The earlier I can start clearing lairs and capturing towers, nodes, and neutral cities, the better my game goes. For that reason, I'd say my easiest games are usually with halflings or (surprise!) lizardmen. The great thing about this game, though, is that it can be so different each time I play. A different starting race, different neighboring neutrals, strength of nearby nodes/lairs/towers, different spell picks, or even different enemy wizards can completely change the complexion of the game.

Comment

That is why I play halflings, their super unit comes quickly, and with a little help their swordsmen are pretty decent also.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Elves and High Men
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

High Elves-sawmill-Longbowman- Game
                        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Dark elves: with inherent ranged attack and citizen mana generation, a powerful race.
                          Pentagenesis for Civ III
                          Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                          Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

True
                            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega
                              Dark elves: with inherent ranged attack and citizen mana generation, a powerful race.
                              My problem with dark elves is that the magic attack is so weak, and can't be beefed up by mithril/adamantium. 3 (max) range attack and 4 shots may be enough to slaughter phantom warriors, but it won't make much of a dent in stronger creatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X