5 year old girl swept away by helium balloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 year old girl swept away by helium balloon

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A British five-year-old girl has been killed after being swept away by a helium balloon in Germany.
    Her body was found two hours later near the balloon, 40 miles (70km) away.

The freak accident happened when the girl became entangled in the mooring ropes of the balloon as it was taken by high winds.

It was about to be used for fun rides at a British military show at Rheindalen, near Moenchengladbach in western Germany.

British military spokeswoman Lieutenant Colonel Helen Wildman said the plan was to lift people up and down with the balloon tethered to a rope on a hot, sunny day.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The weather was very nice but suddenly it changed and it became extremely stormy.

"The balloon broke away from the rope and flew away.

"Unfortunately, the rope got tangled with a five-year-old girl and dragged her away with the balloon.

"She was lifted in the air."

A search was immediately launched by German authorities and British military police.

"They began by searching the immediate local area around the showground and were extending it further when they received a call from the police in Hamminkeln, near Wesel, to say that they had discovered the balloon and the body of a young girl."

An investigation into the accident is under way.

Poor kid.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

However, it could have been worse. She could have had her brain eaten by a baboon.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
      However, it could have been worse. She could have had her brain eaten by a baboon.
      Probably a quicker way to die than a 40 mile flight with no parachute. Just as devastating for the family though.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

OMG

Comment

this and the baboon story have made me really wonder about this world
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

yeah, she flew 50 km

so she was a brit girl?

Comment

Ecthelion (nice troll though..bound to get a big response)

this and the baboon story have made me really wonder about this world

That is it random and that your life keep going only becuase of a huge set of possible ways it could end simply have not come to pass?

Well, yeah, that is the world.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What is this, "Horrible Things Happen To Children" day?

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I wonder how she died? Unlikely that she fell, if she was found near where the balloon landed.

Asphyxiation or hypothermia? Would it go that high?

Comment

Maybe after she crashed her brain was eaten by a baboon. Did they notice any marks on her, or the lack of a head?
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Maybe after she crashed her brain was eaten by a baboon. Did they notice any marks on her, or the lack of a head?
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

That there must be a God, because dumb fate hasn't got the imagination for that sh!t.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

mrmitchell
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

mrmitchell, I just had something similar in mind

but don't you feel ashamed?

Comment

I wonder how she died? Unlikely that she fell, if she was found near where the balloon landed.

Asphyxiation or hypothermia? Would it go that high?

Perhaps the rope got tangled around her neck or something. If that's the case she could have died very soon after she left the ground. Which I suppose is better than being carried for forty miles, but not by much.

Comment

Working...
                              X